A self proclaimed "Saved Calvinist" commits murder in the morning...

S.ilvio

Jul 16, 2011
Dublin
✟341,909.00
Country
Ireland
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Friend the object of the exercise is not to win a 'verseathon', it is about being yoked to Jesus and walking in The Way.

As to your attitudes towards folks who don't hold your theological views - they are rather 'un-comely' at best.

As to avoiding Hebrews - I have said many times, there is a distinction to be made between which verses refer to qualifying for the blessings of the Kingdom and which refer to the matter of our status as sons. Most folks fail to make this distinction and assume salvation is lost by disobedience. The Blood of Jesus is a final and timeless declaration of 'NOT GUILTY' sealing us forever against the consequences of sin. This truth is not a license to sin as many claim as His Love constrains us and the Fear of Him defines limits of behaviour.

Try not seeing the Bible as a weapon to be used, but rather a Book of Love to be shared.
So to withdraw the hate speech allegation..?

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟380,260.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So to withdraw the hate speech allegation..?

I didn't make one... I simply asked how bad slander of others has to become before it would be classified as hate speech.

You had said "Calvinists are front and centre in arrogantly proclaiming their saved status while ignoring the many warnings in Scripture of how we can fall away..."

It is hard to interpret this statement other than being designed to offend brothers and sisters.

Yours is not the only theology that emerges after years of the prayerful study of scripture.

Upvote 0

S.ilvio

Jul 16, 2011
Dublin
✟341,909.00
Country
Ireland
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I didn't make one... I simply asked how bad slander of others has to become before it would be classified as hate speech.

You had said "Calvinists are front and centre in arrogantly proclaiming their saved status while ignoring the many warnings in Scripture of how we can fall away..."

It is hard to interpret this statement other than being designed to offend brothers and sisters.

Yours is not the only theology that emerges after years of the prayerful study of scripture.
So do you view Catholics as brothers and sisters in Christ..?

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟380,260.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think that Theology is generally coloured by how the Lord has dealt with folks personally.
So do you view Catholics as brothers and sisters in Christ..?

There are wheat and tares in every church.

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟380,260.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think that Theology is generally coloured by how the Lord has dealt with folks personally.

If it helps - my Mum was Catholic, and my Dad - Salvation Army.
When they married both sides refused to attend the wedding.
They had to ask the taxi driver to be the witness.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,929,694.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: redleghunter
Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,929,694.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I am a worthless sinner but know salvation is there for me through the Grace of God, my faith in Christ and His perfect sacrifice, His Catholic Church and my continuing works and repentance through my life.

My question still stands...
If you believe yourself a "worthless sinner" (and I agree that both of us are), how can you also believe that your works, your deeds done in righteousness (in specific accord with God's will, IOW), are in anyway meritorious, and as such, that which saves you (rather than God's grace .. see Romans 11:6)?

Thanks!

--David

Titus 3
5 He saved us, not on the basis of deeds which we have done in righteousness, but according to His mercy.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

S.ilvio

Jul 16, 2011
Dublin
✟341,909.00
Country
Ireland
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

So a practising Catholic can be your brother in Christ..?

Upvote 0

S.ilvio

Jul 16, 2011
Dublin
✟341,909.00
Country
Ireland
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
You're welcome. Do you have any thoughts, questions, or comments about the things I said in my reply to your OP? You can find that reply again (post #58) here.

Yes.

--David
So. If you are saved and Salvation is secured for you. Why do you sin..?

Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,999.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
So. If you are saved and Salvation is secured for you. Why do you sin..?
Did you ever see a small child, or older child, adopted into a rich or royal, or even a poor faithful family ?

How long does it take that child to learn what is right to do, and to do it ?

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Not at all bad (no badness is needed at all ) . It is a political/ social/ statement calling or using something labelled hate speech, so it does not come from the Father in heaven, nor is it in Jesus, nor in His followers to do. It is entirely outsiders, or outside of the Father and the Son.

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟380,260.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Not at all bad (no badness is needed at all ) . It is a political/ social/ statement calling or using something labelled hate speech, so it does not come from the Father in heaven, nor is it in Jesus, nor in His followers to do. It is entirely outsiders, or outside of the Father and the Son.

How does that sit with Rom 13:1 ?? Clearly Paul teaches that God works through civil authorities.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
It is a decision of the will. But our wills are tied to our natures. And those who are saved have the same nature as the children of wrath. So something must change.
Absolutely. But some Calvinists give the impression that the individual has no say in the matter of salvation. I believe in predestination. I also believe in man's free will. The Holy Spirit's job is to convict of sin, through the preaching of the gospel. The unbeliever's role is to agree with God's judgement and ask to be saved. Some Calvinists do not preach the gospel because they imagine that God is going to save the elect anyway. That flies in the face of the Word of God, obviously. My advice is to keep it simple. Preach the gospel. Preach to everyone that you can. Know that the Holy Spirit is working in the heart of the unbeliever as you declare Christ as Lord and Saviour. The result is between the individual and God.

• Prayers
Reactions: S.ilvio
Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
What? Obeying God does not include going along with the "fake news", "fake politics", "politically correct" sin, and so forth.
How does that sit with Rom 13:1 ?? Clearly Paul teaches that God works through civil authorities.

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟380,260.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What? Obeying God does not include going along with the "fake news", "fake politics", "politically correct" sin, and so forth.

Basically we are imperfect but He works through us.

Civil authorities are also imperfect but He works through them.

Unless you want to snip Rom 13 out...

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Basically we are imperfect but He works through us.

Civil authorities are also imperfect but He works through them.

Unless you want to snip Rom 13 out...
Judge what is right, as is written in Scripture. Do not sin, nor approve of sin.
Do what the Father says in His Word, revealed through Christ Jesus.. in spirit and in truth.

(sometimes be like the saboteurs in Germany during the war - "look like" assembly the bombs, but leave a wire out whenever possible, and so forth... ? )

Remember Schindler's list - He apparently did the righteous thing, without the government finding out (except maybe those willing to let it go) ...

Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,999.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
But some Calvinists give the impression that the individual has no say in the matter of salvation.
It’s not that they don’t have a say. It’s that their will is corrupt because of the fall. So even though they could choose love God, they won’t.

Upvote 0