Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

On October 13, 1917, a crowd witnessed a miraculous event at Fatima that was recorded by journalists, lawyers and scientists.​

Thousands of individuals gathered near Fatima, Portugal, on October 13, 1917, to witness the next apparition of Our Lady. What they saw was widely reported at the time and became known as the “Miracle of the Sun.”

According to various sources, Dr. Gonçalo de Almeida Garrett, Professor of Natural Sciences at Coimbra University, was there and later recalled what occurred. (As a note, some claim the account was actually given by Dr. Garrett’s son, Dr. José Almeida Garrett.)

Dr. Garrett explains in his account that at first nothing extraordinary occurred.

I was looking at the place of the apparitions, in a serene, if cold, expectation of something happening, and with diminishing curiosity, because a long time had passed without anything to excite my attention. Then I heard a shout from thousands of voices and saw the multitude suddenly turn its back and shoulders away from the point toward which up to now it had directed its attention, and turn to look at the sky on the opposite side.

Miracle of the Sun​

What happened next defied all scientific reasoning.

Continued below.