A scathing and truthful homily regarding the Bishops

eastcoast_bsc

Veteran
Mar 29, 2005
Boston
✟394,442.00
Faith
Christian
A courageous homily and indicted of the Bishops. If you have time listen to it. Our Bishops stood by why our churches were closed through centuries of war, tribulations and pandemics the churches remained open until now, yet Walmart was packed and liquor stores did brisk business.

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟434,190.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
A courageous homily and indicted of the Bishops. If you have time listen to it. Our Bishops stood by why our churches were closed through centuries of war, tribulations and pandemics the churches remained open until now, yet Walmart was packed and liquor stores did brisk business.

I look forward to checking this out tomorrow, but I will say that earlier today I was thinking about how if I weren't so convinced by the Catholic faith itself, the bishops would be making it very hard for me to be Catholic right now. I feel like I'm Catholic in spite of the leadership at this point, not because of them.

What Abp. Gregory said the other day was angering, and so many of these bishops worldwide are playing on the wrong side of the sandbox. I thank God that there are still some good priests out there who know what's what and essentially defy these bishops to keep bringing us the good and proper Catholic faith for however long we have left.

Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟434,190.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Agreed! if we as lay persons are having trouble with this, can you imagine what our faithful priests are going through?

We must pray for them. More than we already are, I certainly need to.

• Friendly
Reactions: pdudgeon
Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,237,975.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity

Has this priest been summoned to meet with his bishop yet? This reminds me of the Christ the King homily by Vaughn Treco. Less than a week later he was excommunicated.

In the end we gotta decide if we're gonna be Catholic or what.

Upvote 0

eastcoast_bsc

Veteran
Mar 29, 2005
Boston
✟394,442.00
Faith
Christian
Has this priest been summoned to meet with his bishop yet? This reminds me of the Christ the King homily by Vaughn Treco. Less than a week later he was excommunicated.

I am sure he will be. I remember a local priest who prayed in front of a pro abortion politicians house was summoned to the chancery.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,237,975.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I am sure he will be. I remember a local priest who prayed in front of a pro abortion politicians house was summoned to the chancery.
I wish we had bishops who had evidence of spine other than in disciplining faithful priests.

• Agree
Reactions: Gnarwhal
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Markie Boy

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2017
United States
✟402,041.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

You know me Chevy - my struggles with Catholicism. This stuff sums it up pretty well. The idea of Catholicism is they you submit to the priest, and on up to your bishop. But when you are in a spot where you say - no, I'm not following that guy's lead, and you know you are right - it's like you are protestant.

But for too long, nobody protested, and these guys have gained too much ground.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,237,975.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
You know me Chevy - my struggles with Catholicism. This stuff sums it up pretty well. The idea of Catholicism is they you submit to the priest, and on up to your bishop. But when you are in a spot where you say - no, I'm not following that guy's lead, and you know you are right - it's like you are protestant.

But for too long, nobody protested, and these guys have gained too much ground.
Jesus was confronting the very same problem. So nothing new there. What did he say? Do as they say but not as they do. These guys have authority even if and when they are wrong. We do not need to obey them blindly. In everything that does not cause us to sin we should obey them. Anything that causes us to sin we can not go along with.

There is history for this approach. In Alexandria the followers of Arius took control of the province and in all the churches of Alexandria Arianism was being taught. From the top down, from the patriarch to the priests and deacons. So what did the people do? On Sundays they would walk out into the desert, to where Antony and his fellow hermits lived, and hear mass from them instead of staying in their Arian parishes,

I've been thinking a lot of what happened in England under Henry VIII. The only faithful resident bishop in all of England was Fisher. (There was also Reginald Cardinal Pole, but he was not a bishop at the time of Henry's rupture.) How would I handle it. For my part, I would want to handle it exactly like Thomas More did, obedient to the authority of the pope, refusing to cooperate with the unjust government on matters where they were actually unjust. More was a reformer, but not a rebel. He stood hard on the authority of the pope even while I am quite sure he would have wanted major reforms of that same pope and the curia.

It's a hard place. I'm frustrated by bishops who seem to either not know their faith or who have set it aside in favor of this world. But that is what has been happening for a few generations now. Folks like von Balthasar prepared me for the mess. Folks like Cardinal Sarah more recently. So I do as these other wimpy priests and bishops and popes say but I try to do as I should instead of what they do.

• Winner
Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0