Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Since his election in 2013, Pope Francis has sought to reform the way Rome's parish priests carry out their ministry, something that's caused tensions

Inside the "aula magna" or great hall of the Pontifical Lateran University, a massive mosaic adorns the wall. It is an image, created in 1937 at the Vatican's workshop of mosaic craftsmen,of Jesus sitting on a cathedra with a raised right hand.Over the years, generations of students have passed before this figure of "Christ the Teacher," highly symbolic of this esteemed center of Catholic education in Rome known as "the pope's university".

But during a day-long gathering here in March 2023, the atmosphere was not one of contemplation. Rather, it was a mixture of discontent and misunderstanding. Behind closed doors of the amphitheater, the priests of Rome were engaged in heated discussions with Cardinal Angelo de Donatis, the pope's vicar,over the new "constitution" of their diocese. This fundamental legal text, which had been published two months earlier, significantly redefined the responsibilities and functioning of the Catholic Church in the Italian capital.

"One of our priests has said, 'The pope always stresses that he is the bishop of Rome and he signs his texts from the Lateran Basilica, but he never comes here. He never visits the seminary'," complained another priest during the gathering.

This straightforward criticism...

Read more at: An ongoing misunderstanding between the Bishop of Rome and his priests

Cosmic Charlie

The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated
Oct 14, 2003
✟67,646.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
From the Article:

Some also criticized the pope, despite his push towards greater "synodality," for taking authoritative control of the diocese's affairs, establishing financial oversight bodies, and appointing individuals from outside Rome to key posts. His effort to reform the diocese has been, to say the least, poorly received.

In my many years on this planet, I have learned two things for dang sure:

1) A Parish Pastor is the most powerful person in the Church (Try to get around one you disagree with some time if you don't believe me)

2) No Catholic priest is EVER under any circumstance stand for ANYONE questioning their finances.

Upvote 0