A relative just started going to a LDS church - Please help

Imjustanant

Mar 10, 2004
San Diego, CA
✟15,190.00
Faith
Non-Denom
My cousin's wife has been going to the LDS for the past few months. She went to LDS as a kid, as well. She likes this church because of their deep love for Jesus Christ. Okay, I can't fault her if Christ is being exalted but I know there are many funky doctrines that leave the teachings of the Bible. Is there a web site or a link or some basic info that folks use to help people get out of the LDS?

Reactions: ShetlandRose

Yitzchak

יצחק
Jun 25, 2003
Visit site
✟26,333.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
There are such links and some books written as well. I will pray for you and your relative about the situation. I am not certain that the best strategy is anti-morman propoganda though. In any case , I do not know of specific links or books but only know second hand from friends at church.

Upvote 0

Imjustanant

Mar 10, 2004
San Diego, CA
✟15,190.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Yitzchak said:
There are such links and some books written as well. I will pray for you and your relative about the situation. I am not certain that the best strategy is anti-morman propoganda though. In any case , I do not know of specific links or books but only know second hand from friends at church.

Thanks for your prayers. I agree, anti-morman propoganda is out, but, Scripture is in. I'm concerned with the deviations from the Bible the Mormons hold to, erroneous teachings on the afterlife, the belief that Christ was created, etc.

I'm looking for something insightful with solid teachings, maybe some admonishment. Not rebuking and hard. Certainly, nothing that would involve propoganda.

Upvote 0

ShetlandRose

Loves Dogs!
Jan 18, 2004
Land of Hiawatha
✟1,118.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Watchman Fellowship (www.watchman.org) has always been an outstanding Christian resource on cults, new age, the occult, and religious movements. Go to their Subject Index/Mormonism/Articles for a start. Or you can just go here: http://www.watchman.org/lds/index.htm

Reactions: Yitzchak
Upvote 0

Suzannah

A sinner
Nov 17, 2003
✟15,824.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Pray, pray and pray some more "till the tears come", as St. Columba said...
Seriously, I have Mormon inlaws and this is really and truly a big mess your relative is in. I completely sympathize with I KNOW you are going thru...:eek:

But ask this question:
"If they believe that Jesus was the Saviour, and that He lived and died on the cross, and that the Apostles are who HE CHOSE to carry on, why would the Church need "restoring" later? If Jesus was the Jesus of the Bible, surely He is powerful enough to keep a "church" together throughout a measly 2000 years??? Surely He can be trusted to work through various human beings to keep the church free from "apostasy' thereby avoiding the need for "removal" of the Church from the Earth (Mormon doctrine) or a "restoration" (also Mormon doctrine)"

If you need extra help, please, please, please pm me and I will be happy to help as best I can...I sure don't know everything but I sure know how to find out the right answer...in the meantime PRAY HARD!

Excellent sites for research:
http://www.exmormon.org
http://www.utlm.org

I will be praying WITH you... :)

Upvote 0

Lucubratus

Mar 16, 2004
✟683.00
Faith
Non-Denom
The link Shetland Rose provided is a good one, Imjust. I was doing some research on Mormonism for a personal project and one of the bits of information in there was of a man (sorry I don't have the relevant links and names at hand) who had claimed to be witness to an Angel who provided him with golden tablets of some kind to which this man then had prophetic types of visions, etc which led to the doctrine of Mormonism. I just felt sort of chilled about it because of the caveat in the Bible about false spirits.
I have a lot of that stuff still in one of my documents folders if you want more info.

Upvote 0