A question....

Whodoyouthinkiam

Apr 27, 2013
✟202.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
As some of you will have noticed, I myself shared a dream the other day. So nothing of what I'm about to say should be taken as "Shut up about your dreams, they never mean anything!". If I thought that, I wouldn't be in this part of the forum.

However, I would like to ask if we have a tendency to see messages from on high in dreams simply because we want them to be? I've read several of the threads here, and have this distinct impression. One of the responses to my own dream also seemed to indicate this.
Dreams CAN be messages, yes, but if we look at how many times in Bible we are told of such instances, it's not all that many. Maybe a couple of handfuls, over the course of over 2000 years (from Abraham to the Apostles - not counting the earliest history because we don't know when that was, exactly).

Again: I DO believe that dreams can mean something, and that they CAN be messages. I also, however, am of the firm opinion that more often than not, they're simply the result of our subconscious minds trying to work out the previous day's events, or deeper-lying issues within us. This is the normal situation. Divine messages are out of the ordinary, sorta God's battering ram.

And we need to be aware of this, so we don't go around seeing prophecies everywhere, where none are, lest we become blind to the actual prophecies that come through.

Glorify

Jan 22, 2013
Ohio
✟8,378.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
It's good to question things....so this is an honest question. But I myself have dreams most every night! Most of which I don't think are from God. But when they are from God....you know right away that they are very different from normal!

I think due to technology...we are able to communicate and share in an instant with each other all over the world! So that explains why you see so much more than in the bible!!!!

Look at the people sharing their dreams....it's not 20 people from Texas. It's a few people....one from the UK. One from brazil....one from New York.

Make sense? That's my humble opinion.

Upvote 0

Eyesee

It's all about Jesus
Jun 14, 2012
North Texas
✟15,906.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
As some of you will have noticed, I myself shared a dream the other day. So nothing of what I'm about to say should be taken as "Shut up about your dreams, they never mean anything!". If I thought that, I wouldn't be in this part of the forum.

However, I would like to ask if we have a tendency to see messages from on high in dreams simply because we want them to be? I've read several of the threads here, and have this distinct impression. One of the responses to my own dream also seemed to indicate this.
Dreams CAN be messages, yes, but if we look at how many times in Bible we are told of such instances, it's not all that many. Maybe a couple of handfuls, over the course of over 2000 years (from Abraham to the Apostles - not counting the earliest history because we don't know when that was, exactly).

Again: I DO believe that dreams can mean something, and that they CAN be messages. I also, however, am of the firm opinion that more often than not, they're simply the result of our subconscious minds trying to work out the previous day's events, or deeper-lying issues within us. This is the normal situation. Divine messages are out of the ordinary, sorta God's battering ram.

And we need to be aware of this, so we don't go around seeing prophecies everywhere, where none are, lest we become blind to the actual prophecies that come through.

I think you make some very good points.

Upvote 0

Bobinator

Jul 30, 2007
✟11,899.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It seems a good amount of dreams in this forum are clearly from the mind. Some are useful in analyzing people's state of mind and can be legitimately useful in ministering to someone. A few are from the Holy Spirit working through our spirit to convey a message. Sometimes it's a mixture of both, and can be viewed as the Holy Spirit having communion with us as individuals.

Some of these dreams are intended to edify the body of Christ and not just the person receiving them.

Statistically, I've found that very few dreams that go on and on and on... are from the Lord. God is straight forward and to the point with both visions and dreams.

Upvote 0

RiverDays

Apr 1, 2013
Nevada, USA
✟7,724.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Good Q!

Personally, I do believe all dreams are from God ....because He says they are. He also says nightmares are from Him. There's nothing in Scripture, that I'm aware of, that says some dreams come from the devil so I don't consider this idea ether.

The dream interpretations we see in the Bible were concerning major turning points for the country, or for a King, which would also effect the country, the Lord was revealing to the people through the prophets. There was no need to publish personal "adjustments" (as I call them). The small adjustments God reveals to us daily through what feels to our fleshy mind as unimportant head dreams. Remember, it's the spiritually minded who considers Christ.....

Keep in mind when pondering your dreams that Jesus used "picture words" in parables familiar to the daily life of the Hebrews, so in turn it's not unlikely He would do the same with us. ie. Was it because you saw a leaky facet yesterday that you dreamed of one last night? Or is the Lord telling you you were gossiping so you can repent and stop before it turns into a nightmare?

Gen 40:8 Joseph said unto them, Do not interpretations belong to God?

This tells me, Yes.... and just because we don't know what a dream is saying to us it doesn't mean that even God is scratching His head over it too.

Pro 25:2 It is the glory of God to conceal a matter, But the glory of kings is to search out a matter.

Job 38:2 Who is this that darkens counsel By words without knowledge?

We need to seek God in these things, walk as kings, in the Light God so graciously offers to each of us. Amen?

<3

Upvote 0

ThunderTongue

Jan 20, 2013
✟15,506.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I dream often, but have had only about 10 that were directly from God. One of which I hold dear, that was life changing.

I think we often times want to read more in to things than is really there with many things, not just dreams. Some try to look for a devil under every rock for example. I know some dreams are from God, and others are just dreams

Upvote 0