Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Unfortunately you have not been able to show from its use in scriptures that bara means out of nothing. In fact it is quite clear from scripture that bara is most often used where the creation was from pre existing materials, even when God used natural processes to bring his creation into being, like when he flowers to bloom in the spring time or created you and me. bara can be used for creation that is out of nothing, as it it in a couple of verses describing God crating the heavens and the earth. So if bara can be used for creation from nothing, though more often for creation from exiting material, if it can be used to describe creation through natural processes as well as supernatural wonders, then I would say the one common feature that all the uses of bara have in common is the proclamation that it is God who made each created thing, according to his plan an purpose, that each creation is the handiwork of God. bara declares each creation made by God, without looking at what it is made from or what processes God used. bara is about God creating and what God created, not how he created it.

The meaning of Bara is the opening chapter of Genesis has profound theological significance and 'creation out of nothing' being one facet. It can be used in tandem with asaph and various other kinds of creation but when it comes to original creation it is 'out of nothing'. You already know that this is the meaning of the word in certain passages but since you are trying to ignore that fact I'll remind you once again. The idea of Bara expressing creation out of nothing is clearly seen in passages having to do with creation on a cosmic scale: "In the Beginning God created the heaven and the earth" (Gen. 1:1; Gen.2:3; Isa. 40:26),

Other times it allows for a broader range of meaning, particularly when it is used in parallel with other verbs like asah and yasar. That does not negate the meaning of Bara meaning 'out of nothing', it just has a slightly different meaning in other texts.

Instead of denying that there are arguments to the contrary, why not show me some actual arguments for your claim?

There's not that much to argue, the exegesis of Bara has already been shown to have a precise technical meaning.

Not interested in how many examples you can find, I am interested in whether they have any decent arguments to support the claim.

No you are interested in having an argument that ignores sound Christian scholarship and the traditional understanding of the clear meaning of the texts in question.

Um no. No doctrinal issues are at stake, the bible clearly teaches ex nihilo creation by proclaiming God as the creator of everything. Original sin is about the effects of Adam's actions after he was created and your interpretation of the Greek in Roman's 5. The creationist understanding of our lineage depend on Adam being literally formed from dust rather than God using natural processes. Neither are ex nihilo creation. Special creation from dust is still creation from pre existing material.

It's still special creation, supernatural activity of God in time and space doing what only God can do which is the essential, foundational meaning of God as Creator. The New Testament is the lens by which you see the meaning of the Old Testament because it's a fuller revelation. The creation is a given, the creation of Adam is a given, the lineage of man beyond the creation of Adam is unknown in the Scriptures and Christian theism prior to the advent of Darwinism. Creation from the dust of the earth is still special creation no matter how you dice up the semantics of Bara.

However if you want to change the subject to topics that are specific to this subforum, I won't follow.

I know what the topic is and need I remind you that TEs are guests in this forum.

I thought it was the clear meaning of bara we were discussing. Tell me, do you think Gen 1:1 means the original creation of the universe because bara means ex nihilo, or do you think bara means ex nihilo because Gen 1:1 describes the original creation of the universe? Because it sounds to me like a there is a circular argument here. Ex nihilo creation is there in Gen 1:1 because the verse declares God as the creator of everything that exists from the very beginning, not because you read ex nihilo creation into the meaning of bara when that is clearly not how the bible uses the word in any other context.

I'm well aware that the meaning of bara is not always 'out of nothing', in Genesis 1:1 it is the clear meaning. Now in other passages there are often a broader range of meanings but Bara is always attributed to God alone as the source of the action.

Again nothing to do with ex nihilo creation. You would need to show that Wesley or Scofield or the Catholic Church thought creating Adam from dust was the same as creating him from nothing.

No I don't, that's not what this is about. Your trying to saddle me with an interpretation I never had. It doesn't have to be ex nihilo, it simply has to be special creation inextricably linked to essential doctrine and it is.

Personally I think Wesley would have pretty surprised at the idea creating Adam from dust was ex nihilo, but he was pretty gracious and I am sure he would have just explained basic Latin to you, he would have been puzzled though, when he realised you know ex nihilo means 'from nothing'.

Your arguing against a strawman, your wasting my time.

Otherwise you are avoiding the question of the meaning of bara and going into areas I won't follow in this subforum.

Whatever

But we get the meaning of Genesis from the whole verse not just one word. Like I said, it is a circular argument to get a meaning of bara from Gen 1:1 if you read that meaning into bara to understand Gen 1:1. But take bara the way it is used in the rest of scripture and you still get God's creation of the universe from the beginning. And all the ex nihilo that tells us about.

This has nothing to do with the meaning of bara, your off on a tangent because you don't want to deal with the doctrinal issue. This is the doctrinal issue:

Now may I just inject a footnote here that has nothing to do with what I just said but it's important? In order to make this analogy work, in order for it to have any validity, since Christ is a historical figure, what must Adam be? An historical figure. I think this is one passage that strikes a fierce blow to the evolutionary hypothesis and to all of those people who say that Adam is representative of some sort of mystical pre‑historic drama made up by men and so forth and so on. Listen, if Adam is not a real one man whose one deed corrupted the whole race, then Christ is not a real one man whose one deed gives righteousness to those who believe. So when you're hassling on the scientific level about evolution, it would pay if you just get over here to the biblical level. If He is the second Adam, if He is as the Bible says the last Adam, then the first Adam has to be a real Adam. Adam and the Reign of Death

Why don't you just face that fact that you are going to have to deal with the doctrinal issues from a Biblical point of reference?

I'm over the semantical hair splitting of Bara, enough is enough, the meaning of the word in not in dispute. The account of man's creation in Genesis 1:27 says that God created 'bara' man. Man was thus created, but also molded and fashioned. Bara is a word used in the Bible only for the creative activity of God. It implies something new has been brought into existence by divine command. Yatsar tells us how God formed and sculpted man (Adam/Eve), how He completed the design and crafting of man.

The two concepts are not mutually exclusive, there is no conflict based on the meaning of bara.

What has Paul's Greek in Romans 5 got to do with the Hebrew bara? Does Paul say Adam was created from nothing?

Back to your strawman argument :yawn:

Sarah laughed because she understood the implication of God's promise, that this old woman was going to have some fun with her husband again. Gen 18:12 So Sarah laughed to herself, saying, "After I am worn out, and my lord is old, shall I have pleasure?" It was indeed a miracle that she conceived, but she still conceived in the natural and enjoyable way. No ex nihilo, simply the healing and restoration of their worn out plumbing, so they could fulfil God's plan and purpose.

The pleasure she is referring to is child birth, plain and simple. She believed that her womb was dead just as Abraham believed he was incapable of begetting a physical heir. The didn't believe it because by naturalistic means it's impossible, but with God all things are possible. They laughed because they didn't believe the promise, however, Abraham believed that the one who made the promise was faithful. Faith is personal much more then it's empirical, you don't have to know how but you have to be trusting Him.

Don't forget the bible describes you and me as God's creation too, and every green shoot in the spring. Of course everything can be traced back to a supernatural miracle if you go far back enough, but I am not sure that is the way bara is being used, creation refers to what God creates and his creating it, not its past.

Note how Aquinas says 'another body of the same species'? Aquinas is talking about Adam being formed from dust rather than having parents. You should really have quoted a few of the previous sentences as well as we see how Aquinas links this to ex nihilo creation.
Now God, though He is absolutely immaterial, can alone by His own power produce matter by creation: wherefore He alone can produce a form in matter, without the aid of any preceding material form. For this reason the angels cannot transform a body except by making use of something in the nature of a seed, as Augustine says (De Trin. iii, 19). Therefore as no pre-existing body has been formed whereby another body of the same species could be generated, the first human body was of necessity made immediately by God.
God alone can create matter from nothing, without relying on preexisting material, so he can also produce a new form in material without relying on the previous form of the material. Aquinas is not calling the creation of Adam ex nililo creation, but says that the God who can created ex nihilo is alone able to give Adam a new form though made from dust. Of course Aquinas is talking about his interpretation of God forming Adam from the dust here, not the meaning of the word create.

It's not important, there are subtle variations of the meaning but the essential meaning does not change. It's used in parallel with other words and used in different contexts but the meaning is essentially that God did what only God can do.

Ok now I think we are coming to the end of any useful discussion. I would have enjoyed discussing actual evidence for your meaning of bara, but if you won't present any and instead claim you have done so, there is nothing else really to talk about.

You would have liked me to adopt the monolithic of bara, I know what the word means and how it is used. You had the best definition for the word right in front of you and then you went on to misrepresent what it means, how it's used and why it's important. Stop it and we can learn some things here, otherwise you will continue to talk in circles.

No, don't see how those are assumption behind anything I said. Still it has been good to search through scriptures looking at God and all he creates :wave:

Oh but this forum is going to need a good, in depth Bible study on the subject. I'll put up a complimentary thread in the common forum when I get it going.

Thanks for the exchange :wave:
Mark

Upvote 0

UpperEschelon

Sep 8, 2010
✟7,943.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
1) Is believing in Creationism essential to salvation on the cross? If so, how? Please cite Biblical scripture.

It isn't, that doesn't make it any more correct/false than any other perspective, namely theistic evolution.

2) Why do creationists not cut off their eyes and hands when they sin?

You equate literalism with creationism, that is false.

3) Why do you think evolution is a tool of the devil? Where does it say this in scripture?

There are countless, countless things that are tools of the devil, yet scripture doesn't explicitly mention them. The goal of scripture is not to identify every single tool of Satan, but rather to equip is to be able to handle every tool of Satan.

Evolution has become the perfect, convenient theory used by man to completely deny and reject the existence and authority of Almighty God.

Upvote 0

tmanz12

Nov 12, 2010
STL
✟15,178.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
1) Is believing in Creationism essential to salvation on the cross? If so, how? Please cite Biblical scripture.

3) Why do you think evolution is a tool of the devil? Where does it say this in scripture?

1. No, but I doubt God likes his glory given to anything but him. Evolution states that everything was made imperfect and had to perfect itself.

2. If you cant control you others will have to.

3. Its a lie. It takes away from Gods glory. It causes people to move away from Christianity. It has no real evidence behind the broader aspect of what the theory tries to explain.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

1. The creation story is clear. The evolution story (of the origins of man) has hardly even been written yet and is the product of mans imagination. So far, pretty wild, often wrong, and infiltrated with deception and greed. To choose the second one is clearly a personal choice of faith.

2. We have no evidence that persons who walked at Jesus's side thought that he was telling them to do that. So we toss that view out.

3. As stated in #1, God's word has a much better track record of telling the truth than Darwin. When seeking truth, always consider the source.

Upvote 0
Feb 3, 2011
✟8,272.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I know you doubt my integrity, but just so I've said it: I adopted a non-literal reading of Genesis for theological reasons some time before I even came to think the earth was old -- let alone became an evolutionist.

What parts of Genesis are 'non-literal', to you, and what are the theological reasons for it?

Do you believe Adam and Eve were the first created humans? The fall caused by them disobeying God, and then the introduction of death?

Or, do you believe death and destruction came literally millions, even billions of years, before then?

What about Noah, and the worldwide flood, do you believe this literal, as Jesus Christ mentioned both?

I would really like to know what parts are 'non-literal', and those 'theological reasons' you mentioned. Thanks.

Upvote 0

Willtor

Not just any Willtor... The Mighty Willtor
Apr 23, 2005
Cambridge
Visit site
✟32,287.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What parts of Genesis are 'non-literal', to you, and what are the theological reasons for it?

Do you believe Adam and Eve were the first created humans? The fall caused by them disobeying God, and then the introduction of death?

Or, do you believe death and destruction came literally millions, even billions of years, before then?

What about Noah, and the worldwide flood, do you believe this literal, as Jesus Christ mentioned both?

I would really like to know what parts are 'non-literal', and those 'theological reasons' you mentioned. Thanks.

In post #139, it was made clear that I was not welcome in this forum. I am, of course, eager to discuss this issue. If you would like to discuss this issue with me, please copy your post into a new thread either in the Origins Theology forum or in the Theistic Evolutionists subforum, and post a link here or send me a PM.

Thanks!

Upvote 0

Rex Lex

Dec 18, 2010
✟7,727.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Married

1. No, but if one believes in evolution after being corrected then there is reason for them to wonder if such a person has ever been born again. The real question is 'do I trust in God's Word or do I trust in the word of man'.

2. And if they did so would that save them from their sins? Only faith in Christ will save (Luke 7:50, Eph. 2:8-9) as made clear by the New Testament. But Jesus meant that if it came down to it one would be better off cutting off both hands or feet & having them cast into hell fire rather than to have the whole body cast into hell. It isn't real hard to figure that out.

3. Because evolutionary teaching causes people to doubt that God created the world just the way both Moses and the Lord Jesus Christ taught that He did it. Furthermore the evidence favors creation and not evolution. Evolution is not mentioned in scripture but we are told that any teaching that undermines scripture is of Satan.

"Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits and doctrines of devils." I Timothy 4:1

Theistic evolutionists are among those mentioned above. Most of them will perish because of it.

Upvote 0

shernren

you are not reading this.
Feb 17, 2005
Shah Alam, Selangor
Visit site
✟26,381.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
In Relationship
"Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits and doctrines of devils." I Timothy 4:1

Theistic evolutionists are among those mentioned above. Most of them will perish because of it.

Wow! I never realized that Darwin forbade marriage and imposed dietary laws on us his humble theistic evolutionist followers.

Read 1 Timothy 4:3, please, and learn to understand the context of Scripture before you quote it. Even as you have so caustically said:

...any teaching that undermines scripture is of Satan.

please learn to handle the Scriptures accurately and demonstrate the supposedly superior knowledge of them that you have.

Upvote 0

theFijian

Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2003
West of Scotland
Visit site
✟63,625.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Well apparently it is prevalent belief among Creationists that the deity of Christ is not essential doctrine. Go figure.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

HereIStand

Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2006
✟317,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married

1) No, but it does make one more susceptible to skepticism when reading other parts of Scripture. Scripture should not be partially disregarded (2 Timothy 3:16)

2) Allegory must be taken as such an history (Genesis) taken as such.

3) Not in an obvious way, but more as a philosophy or especially in philosophies dominated by Darwinism -- social Darwinism, eugenics. The Tower of Babel would be an example from Scripture.

Upvote 0

Greg1234

In the beginning was El
May 14, 2010
✟11,792.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Darwinism plays its role as far as materialism is concerned. Though you may not be aware of the underlying purpose of said doctrine, it is essential to realize that this is not the first attempt.

It is a corollary of a belief in Darwinian doctrine to debase texts, to ridicule ancient man's competence and intelligence in order to meet predictions of up-and-coming beasts, to ultimately adopt materialistic doctrine where all phenomena is the result of a purely naturalistic process. Having adopted that mindset through a seemingly "harmless" form of infiltration the door is then opened from the inside, the cue for a militant materialist that the time is ripe. Take the case of an associate of Evolutionary Christianity. From Uncommon Descent - Serving the Intelligent Design Community
Michael Dowd, the guiding light behind evolutionarychristianity.com, praises the new atheists:

“Religion is about right relationship with reality, not the supernatural.”

“The wisdom of antiquity—in all its forms and drawn from all regions of the world—could not possibly be up to the task of serving us now. Ancient, unchanged scriptural stories and doctrinal declarations are inadequate for meeting modern challenges.”

“In a way, the New Atheists have come to our rescue. They are shouting at us to collectively awaken to the dangers of revering texts and doctrines on no sounder basis than tradition an authority. Because the New Atheists put their confidence (not faith) in an evidentially formed and continuously tested view of the world, these critics of religion are well positioned to see what’s real and what’s important today. It is thus time for religious people to listen to the New Atheists—and to listen as if they were speaking with God’s voice, because in my view they are!”

“God is not a person; God is a personification of one or more deeply significant dimensions of reality. For the theologically liberally minded, this should be neither difficult to grasp nor disagreeable. But until religious people themselves speak it fully and unabashedly into existence, the New Atheists will be all too happy to continue mocking biblical and other mythic portrayals of God.”

“Darwin didn’t kill God. To the contrary, he and Alfred Russel Wallace offered the first glimpse of the real creator behind and beyond the world’s myriad mythic portrayals of the divine. Evidence from a wide range of disciplines—from cognitive neuroscience to anthropology to cross-cultural study of the world’s myths and religions—all support the claim that God is a personification, not a person, and that we instinctually forget this. Moreover, there is no counter-evidence! This fact alone makes sense of the hundreds of competing stories around the world as to what God supposedly said or did. ‘God’ is a mythic name for reality in all its sublime fullness. Any so-called God that is imagined as less than this is unworthy of our devotion and deserves to be mocked, as the New Atheists so readily do.”

“The bottom line is this: whenever we Christians slip into interpreting scripture literally, we belittle the Bible and dishonor God.”

“’Getting right with God,’ means coming into right relationship with our planet and all its gloriously diverse species and cultures.”

“The New Atheists, by speaking boldly on behalf of our best collective intelligence about the nature of reality, and in condemning superstitious, otherworldly religiosity, are, paradoxically, fulfilling the traditional role of prophets.”

“Few things are more important than for religious peoples of all backgrounds and orientations to heed what the New Atheists are saying. … I am grateful because of how they are prodding religion and humanity to mature and because of how they are encouraging religious people (like me!) to come out of the closet as naturalists.”

“I foresee a time when religious leaders get their guidance and inspiration from humanity’s common creation story and teach and preach the discoveries of science as God’s word. When that day comes, our faith traditions will thrive and many of us will look back and exclaim, ‘Thank God for the New Atheists.’”

All quotes from: Michael Dowd, “Thank God for the New Atheists: A Sermon by Michael Dowd,” Skeptic Magazine, Vol. 16 (2):28-30 (2011).

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat

Creationism is inextricably linked to essential doctrine. I have posted the Scriptural references many times, this time I think a link will suffice.

LS4C Bible

Because they repent instead which is the whole point of that passage in the beatitudes. Creationism represents a long standing view of the Scriptures that is consistent with a sound hermeneutic of the totality of Scripture and the historical teaching of the Church.

Where do the Scriptures discuss a 19th century rejection of God's revelation?

For although they knew God, they neither glorified him as God nor gave thanks to him, but their thinking became futile and their foolish hearts were darkened. Although they claimed to be wise, they became fools and exchanged the glory of the immortal God for images made to look like a mortal human being and birds and animals and reptiles. (Romans 1:21-23)​

Since you choose to come into a creationist subforum with these questions perhaps you'll do me the courtesy of answering 3 of mine.

1) What is the molecular basis for the 3 fold expansion of the human brain from that of apes? Cite scientific sources please.

2) Where are the Chimpanzee ancestors in the fossil record? (hint: there is only 1 source you could cite)

3) Why would Luke call Adam the son of God in his genealogy or Paul attribute the sin of man to Adam if Adam had ancestors or contemporaries? (answer anyway you see fit)​

Grace and peace,
Mark

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums