• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

A question about Metformin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Der Alte

This is me about 1 yr. old.
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,188.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Does anybody else get nauseous or even throw up if they do not take Metformin with a rather large meal? :confused:

I did get nauseous when I first stated taking it about 6 years ago. The I started taking it after, rather than before I ate. Solved the problem.

Reactions: dwellethinhim
Upvote 0

Katryna

Jan 28, 2008
Illinois
✟7,978.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
No... as I stated in another thread, I only get severe heartburn if I drink too many sodas in a day. Probably a good thing, as I was drinking too many of those things anyway... now I drink more water, which is better for me anyway! :)

Upvote 0

sinneD

Jan 21, 2007
Dallas, Texas
✟15,859.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No... as I stated in another thread, I only get severe heartburn if I drink too many sodas in a day. Probably a good thing, as I was drinking too many of those things anyway... now I drink more water, which is better for me anyway! :)
If you're taking Metformin, you shouldn't be drinking sodas... of any kind.. even the so called "sugar free" stuff..

Stick with water..

Upvote 0

dwellethinhim

Mar 21, 2008
Brisbane
✟15,168.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Here is the scientific version of events.
Side Effects
Gastrointestinal. Very common. Mild gastrointestinal symptoms (e.g. diarrhoea, nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain and loss of appetite) :sick:are the most frequent reactions to metformin (> 1/10), especially during the initial treatment period. These symptoms are generally transient and resolve spontaneously during continued treatment.
Gastrointestinal side effects can possibly be avoided if Metformin is taken with meals and if the dose is increased slowly. Occasionally, a temporary dose reduction can be considered.

In real terms, your symptoms should decrease over time and with use. If you have been on Metformin for more than 6 months and you are still having symptoms I would suggest a visit to your MD, also Vit B 12 deficiency from Metformin is rare less than 1:100 000 people so I would again suggest an annual blood test for levels before you go taking large doses because too much can also be harmful. Hope this helps. If you have any other questions happy to help out

:D

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Katryna

Jan 28, 2008
Illinois
✟7,978.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
If you're taking Metformin, you shouldn't be drinking sodas... of any kind.. even the so called "sugar free" stuff..

Stick with water..
Why is that? (Other than my obvious discomfort if I "overdo".) My doctor didn't give me any dietary restrictions. I never drink regular soda; far too sweet for me.

Upvote 0

Katryna

Jan 28, 2008
Illinois
✟7,978.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Stick with water..

Why is that? (Other than my obvious discomfort if I "overdo".) My doctor didn't give me any dietary restrictions. I never drink regular soda; far too sweet for me. I seem to be fine if I have only one or two a day; it just seems to be the carbonation that riles things up.

(My apologies for the double post; I apparently caused the system to "burp" when I used the "quick quote" option the first time, and my post interjected out of order. :confused: )

Upvote 0

Mrs. Luther073082

Commit to the LORD whatever you do - Proverbs 16:3
Jan 18, 2006
✟41,836.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
OK I have another question now. I read that metformin can sometimes be used to facilitate ovulation. I am taking birth control, which is supposed to prevent ovulation. Soo... is that bad that the pills I am taking are basically meant to do opposite things? :confused:

Upvote 0

Mrs. Luther073082

Commit to the LORD whatever you do - Proverbs 16:3
Jan 18, 2006
✟41,836.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Here is the scientific version of events.
Side Effects
Gastrointestinal. Very common. Mild gastrointestinal symptoms (e.g. diarrhoea, nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain and loss of appetite) :sick:are the most frequent reactions to metformin (> 1/10), especially during the initial treatment period. These symptoms are generally transient and resolve spontaneously during continued treatment.
Gastrointestinal side effects can possibly be avoided if Metformin is taken with meals and if the dose is increased slowly. Occasionally, a temporary dose reduction can be considered.

In real terms, your symptoms should decrease over time and with use. If you have been on Metformin for more than 6 months and you are still having symptoms I would suggest a visit to your MD, also Vit B 12 deficiency from Metformin is rare less than 1:100 000 people so I would again suggest an annual blood test for levels before you go taking large doses because too much can also be harmful. Hope this helps. If you have any other questions happy to help out

:D

I don't usually get sick anymore but I did last night and on Tuesday night.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.