a question about cuss words

Eishiba

Dec 15, 2011
✟15,450.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
I've been wrestling with this for a while. So I was wondering, why exactly are certain words considered a cuss word? I mean, the 4 letter S word is just another word used feces. Who said the s word was bad but the rest of the words are acceptable? This isnt really consistent. Either they are all bad or all ok to say. Some words get used to put someone down which i dont think is acceptable. And obviously saying g d is taking the Lords name in vain. So what are peoples thoughts on this? I guess part of me is looking for an excuse to avoid tryig to stop saying those words.

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I've been wrestling with this for a while. So I was wondering, why exactly are certain words considered a cuss word? I mean, the 4 letter S word is just another word used feces. Who said the s word was bad but the rest of the words are acceptable? This isnt really consistent. Either they are all bad or all ok to say. Some words get used to put someone down which i dont think is acceptable. And obviously saying g d is taking the Lords name in vain. So what are peoples thoughts on this? I guess part of me is looking for an excuse to avoid tryig to stop saying those words.

Golly-Gosh-Gee-Darn-Dang-it! Is the one we used as kids if we hit our thumb with a hammer.

• Winner
Reactions: Amittai
Upvote 0

createdtoworship

In the grip of grace
Mar 13, 2004
West Coast USA
✟33,173.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Golly-Gosh-Gee-Darn-Dang-it! Is the one we used as kids if we hit our thumb with a hammer.

The difference is the passion put into the cuss words.. the world teaches people to use them. Satan is the god of this world. Christians are taught from the Bible not to speak the devil's language.

here is a comedy on this, maybe this will help:

• Haha
Reactions: St_Worm2
Upvote 0

musicalpilgrim

pilgrim on the sacred music pathway
Angels Team
Site Supporter
Jan 11, 2012
East of Manchester
✟2,622,909.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
The question is, do these words honour the Father?

Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,930,033.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
...what are peoples thoughts on this? I guess part of me is looking for an excuse to avoid trying to stop saying those words.
Hello Eishiba, if you thoroughly consider what the following verses tell us, I think that you'll find the excuse you are looking for :oldthumbsup:

Ephesians 4
29 Let no unwholesome word proceed from your mouth, but only such a word as is good for edification according to the need of the moment, so that it may give grace to those who hear.

Ephesians 5
4 There must be no filthiness and silly talk, or coarse jesting, which are not fitting, but rather giving of thanks.

Blessings to you in Christ!

--David
p.s. - the Lord Jesus also told us this:

Luke 6
45 The good man brings good things out of the good treasure of his heart, and the evil man brings evil things out of the evil treasure of his heart. For out of the overflow of the heart, the mouth speaks.

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,100,348.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
I don't believe that there is anything phonetically evil about those words. It's the attitude behind those words. YHWH calls us to be set apart from the world. YHWH calls us to be joyful. The people who we learn of these words from, generally don't use them in a joyful way that glorifies YHWH. If we use those words; to what purpose, other than to simulate their behavior?

Upvote 0

VMaeLove

Selbst ist die Frau
Jul 30, 2019
Saxony-Anhalt
✟124,235.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

It is hard to believe that certain [english] sounds put together in a certain ways is a sin. Surely nothing is so shallow;)
I would think it is most important that you try. It sets you apart from the rest. You are human so you will fail but just keep trying, forgiveness is still yours. Prayers for you!

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟961,695.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I mean, the 4 letter S word is just another word used feces.
Your OP covers, at least, four different issues,
  1. Vulgarities,
  2. Obscenities,
  3. Cursing (the word "cuss" comes from "curse"), &
  4. Blasphemy.
Most vulgarities have appropriate contexts in the bedroom, bathroom, barn or doctor's office, etc., but they are issued outside of those contexts (usually for shock value).

Obscenities are used in a similar fashion, but being based on sexual perversions, they have no appropriate context.

Godly men have pronounced curses in the Bible, like Joshua over the rebuilding of Jericho. But due to their power, they should not be issued impulsively or thoughtlessly.

Blasphemy/"taking the Lord's Name in vain" includes G.D. and any other knowing misuse of His Name.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟961,695.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It is hard to believe that certain [english] sounds put together in a certain ways is a sin.
"Death and life are in the power of the tongue,
And those who love it will eat its fruit." Proverbs 18:21 NKJV

Jesus said,
Hear and understand: Not what goes into the mouth defiles a man; but what comes out of the mouth, this defiles a man.” Matthew 15:10-11 NKJV

Upvote 0

John42

Feb 15, 2020
Toronto
✟20,121.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Society decided, I think.

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟722,349.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Your thoughts, words and actions should glorify God. Let your conscience be your guide ... it's pretty much a no brainer. Cussing is a habit (a bad one I used to have) ... keep praying about it ... be mindful of it and it will go away. Think before you speak.

Upvote 0

createdtoworship

In the grip of grace
Mar 13, 2004
West Coast USA
✟33,173.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Colossians 3:8 mentions ridding yourself of “filthy language.”NKJV

Upvote 0

NothingIsImpossible

May 22, 2015
✟274,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I grew up with a mom who had rage issues and swore all the time. SO naturally I started acting like her. Including constant swearing. Obviously I am WAY better at this point. To me swear words are the words that most people think of. The S or F word for example.

Though I have met people who say even saying "Oh drat" or "Darn" are still cussing and just a different variation of the words. Part of me thinks that a little extreme. But I still try to avoid those words if I have to.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums