• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

A Police Officer Sues NFL For Defamation

Discussion in 'News & Current Events (Articles Required)' started by rjs330, Jun 16, 2021.

1. rjs330

rjs330 Well-Known Member

+3,189
    Pentecostal
    De'Joure Mercer, the Indianapolis police officer who shot Dreasjon Reed in 2020 has sued the NFL over their highlighting Reed in their program against police brutality and systemic racism.

Mercer is suing them for libel for accusing him if police misconduct and causing Mercer severe emotional and reputational injury.

Mercers attorney said this was not a blanket attack against the NFL's program, but one that seeks to send a message to the NFL and others that they better get their facts straight before making accusations like this.

Mercer was cleared of all wrong doing by the grand jury. The jury said there was insufficient evidence to indict or even accuse Mercer of a crime.
    IMPD officer files suit over NFL's 'Inspire Change' campaign | wthr.com

It's time the media and others be held accountable for accusations that destroy people's lives before the case is even finished. Had Mercer been found guilty then the claim is legit. Until then, leave the accusations out.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
    We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. variant

variant Happy Cat

+5,696
    Agnostic
    Single
    Grand juries do not and can not clear anyone of a crime. They decide whether there is enough evidence to go to trial.

3. Sophrosyne

Sophrosyne Let Your Light Shine.. Matt 5:16

+42,413
    Christian
    If a grand jury cannot find enough then the NFL should not be convicting them in the court of opinion and should have the pants sued off of them a huge amount to send a message. I say he should sue for 5 billion dollars that figure is large enough to get attention as a few million to the NFL owners is pocket change and won't send much of a message.

4. Yttrium

Yttrium Independent Centrist

+1,827
    United States
    Skeptic
    Single
    Sounds like Mercer has a good case. That level of defamation needs strong enough supporting evidence to hold up in court.

5. essentialsaltes

essentialsaltes Stranger in a Strange Land

+21,825
    United States
    Atheist
    Legal Union (Other)
    Is Mercer even mentioned in the NFL piece? From what I gather from the article, there's just an image of the man he killed.

6. Pommer

Pommer Autodidact polymath Supporter

+4,408
    United States
    Deist
    In Relationship
    US-Democrat
    This looks like a suit via “Munchausens’s-by-proxy”.

No, I wasn’t mentioned at all, but the young man that I happened to have shot to death was, and that ain’t right by me!

He’s “the real victim” in all of this.

7. FireDragon76

FireDragon76 Well-Known Member Supporter

+13,829
    United States
    Other Religion
    Legal Union (Other)
    US-Democrat
    What's strange is that anybody that's seen a photo of Mercer can tell he's not white, so it's not clear how this would play into the "systemic white racism" meme.

Innocent until proven guilty?

8. rjs330

rjs330 Well-Known Member

+3,189
    Pentecostal
    Reed is NOT a victim. He's a criminal who tried to shoot cops. The cop is a hero. Yet the NFL add suggested the cop was involved in police misconduct and systemic racism and that's why Reed was shot. The cop was the victim here as the NFL tarnished his reputation when the facts were not even in.

9. Sophrosyne

Sophrosyne Let Your Light Shine.. Matt 5:16

+42,413
    Christian
    Just call it slander.

10. Pommer

+4,408
    United States
    Deist
    In Relationship
    US-Democrat
    Was Mercer named in the NFL video?

11. rjs330

rjs330 Well-Known Member

+3,189
    Pentecostal
    Irrelevant. If you killed "Billy" in self defense and I put on television for millions to see that Billy's killer was a white supremacist and people started calling you a white supremacist and did everything to tarnish your life and reputation, it wouldn't matter if I said your name. Cause your name is all over the place and everyone would know exactly who I was talking about.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  12. essentialsaltes

essentialsaltes Stranger in a Strange Land

+21,825
    United States
    Atheist
    Legal Union (Other)
    In something like the Streisand Effect, it's certainly true that now I know this cop's name.

13. Pommer

+4,408
    United States
    Deist
    In Relationship
    US-Democrat
    What?
    Have you seen the video that is the basis for this suit?
    If so, did the NFL really use the phrase “white supremacist”?
    I’m going to guess that you haven’t though, and this is just a knee-jerk response.
    Have fun with that.