a pastor ridicules single christian men who play video games calling them losers

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
A 24 study meta analysis disagrees with your study. It is common for researchers to have a bias. Combative people liked to play war games. Not all of them started shooting people.

Upvote 0

Isilwen

Oct 13, 2019
Florida
✟161,599.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Democrat
A 24 study meta analysis disagrees with your study. It is common for researchers to have a bias. Combative people liked to play war games. Not all of them started shooting people.

There are other studies out there that say video games don't cause violence.

Upvote 0

Isilwen

Oct 13, 2019
Florida
✟161,599.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Democrat
How many wounded ears does Jesus heal in the games?

itsatrap.jpg

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟961,097.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Video games cause a great, great deal less of "aggressive tendencies" than modern day movies and TV does for me...

Video games give you an (healthy) outlet for that kind of thing, kind of like contact sports (actually playing them or participating in them) can or do or does, while modern day movies and TV do not, and gives you "no outlet", just the feelings, which can be very dangerous, etc, and are really the cause of people wanting to go out and kill other people in real life to me...

Mots people I know that like to play a lot of first person shooters, etc, are some of the most laid back people in real life that I know...

Definitely way, way more so than people who watch Fox or CNN, or other news channels, etc... They are the "trap"...

God Bless!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Isilwen

Oct 13, 2019
Florida
✟161,599.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Democrat
I am saying it's a trap because when I say none, then you are going to say then we shouldn't be playing such games, etc...

I deal with many, many stressful situations on my shifts and video games help to alleviate said stress when I have downtime. I read my Bible today. Tomorrow, my family and I will go to Sea World for their Christmas celebration which is one of the best when it comes to theme parks. Sunday, after I drop the kids back off to their mom's my girlfriend and I will spend the day probably decorating my apartment for Christmas.

So, video gaming is not my life.

Reactions: Neogaia777
Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟961,097.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
I'm hoping to pick up Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order next month if I can and start playing it, games I got just recently and have been playing is Gran Turismo Sport (awesome beautiful racing game), and Dragon Quest 11, and I am thoroughly enjoying playing them...

Going to get Ace Combat 7 at my earliest convenience as well (beautiful Fighter Jet Pilot game)...

I enjoy flying and racing games a lot, and I'm a big Star Wars fan too... And I love RPG's also...

And I've been wanting to get into Destiny 2 more, for a good RPG that is also a first person shooter, etc... I just recently got it and downloaded it... My cousin plays it a lot and says we can go through the campaign together...

But they are not my life, like I said and have already stated in this thread...

God Bless!

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Isilwen

Oct 13, 2019
Florida
✟161,599.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Democrat
I'm hoping to pick up Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order next month if I can and start playing it, games I got just recently and have been playing is Gran Turismo Sport (awesome beautiful racing game), and Dragon Quest 11, and I am thoroughly enjoying playing them...

Going to get Ace Combat 7 at my earliest convenience as well (beautiful Fighter Jet Pilot game)...

I enjoy flying and racing games a lot, and I'm a big Star Wars fan too... And I love RPG's also...

And I've been wanting to get into Destiny 2 more, for a good RPG that is also a first person shooter, etc... I just recently got it and downloaded it... My cousin plays it a lot and says we can go through the campaign together...

But they are not my life, like I said and have already stated in this thread...

God Bless!

My girlfriend asked which games I wanted for Christmas and so I let her know, Greedfall for the PC, Star Wars: Fallen Order for the Xbox One and Luigi's Mansion 3 for the Switch. I will get one of those three games from her and probably one from her mom. My parent's already bought me Christmas presents in the form of tickets to the Eagles vs. Dolphins game in Miami that just took place this past Sunday. We were five rows up from the field and I got to watch my Dolphins win for the first time when I was at a game. They also bought me a $1300 laptop that I use at work for work and during downtime.

My mom who is getting older wants to take my girlfriend and I on a cruise. Probably either to Dubai or from Dubai sometime in 2021. She wants to go on one more vacation with me before her COPD gets to the point where she can no longer travel. They'll pay for the cruise for the both of us, but we'll have to come up with the rest, which I think is more than fair!!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟961,097.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
My girlfriend asked which games I wanted for Christmas and so I let her know, Greedfall for the PC, Star Wars: Fallen Order for the Xbox One and Luigi's Mansion 3 for the Switch. I will get one of those three games from her and probably one from her mom. My parent's already bought me Christmas presents in the form of tickets to the Eagles vs. Dolphins game in Miami that just took place this past Sunday. We were five rows up from the field and I got to watch my Dolphins win for the first time when I was at a game. They also bought me a $1300 laptop that I use at work for work and during downtime.

My mom who is getting older wants to take my girlfriend and I on a cruise. Probably either to Dubai or from Dubai sometime in 2021. She wants to go on one more vacation with me before her COPD gets to the point where she can no longer travel. They'll pay for the cruise for the both of us, but we'll have to come up with the rest, which I think is more than fair!!
Awesome! Have fun!

God Bless!

Upvote 0

Isilwen

Oct 13, 2019
Florida
✟161,599.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Democrat
True. Violent people cause violence.

Exactly. They are already pre-disposed to violence. I myself am a helper.

I want to help and care for people. it's why I started as a volunteer firefighter and then became an EMT. i think I enjoy games like Call of Duty (especially the WWII iterations of the game) because my grandfather was in World War II. I used to sit on his lap just listening to him tell his stories about what it was like. It was interesting to me in High School as well and was one of my better subjects when it came to American history. That and the Revolutionary War were my favorite things to learn about!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
You are no preacher,that much I do know. The first step toward being a preacher is practicing what you preach and you clearly don't do that. Wasting times with films and rebuking gamers.

Your preaching would be the blind leading the blind. Very bad sign.

Well, it's a good thing your merely saying so doesn't make it so.

Upvote 0

Daniel C

Nov 22, 2018
England
✟23,768.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Well, it's a good thing your merely saying so doesn't make it so.

Is that what you thought you were doing with your OP? Taking a Godly approach to a situation you viewed as unholy and people (gamers) needed to be corrected by a senior person of God,being you?

If that's the case your preaching here wasn't that successful. I'll admit I can sometimes be difficult to win over but you set yourself up for failure by not practicing the message you preach and undermined yourself. Not effective.

Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Is that what you thought you were doing with your OP? Taking a Godly approach to a situation you viewed as unholy and people (gamers) needed to be corrected by a senior person of God,being you?

If you can't tell from my first post what my intent was in posting, explaining my intent to you now is going to be rather pointless, I think. It seems you've told yourself a story about me and you are determined to prove it true - however in error your story is.

If that's the case your preaching here wasn't that successful. I'll admit I can sometimes be difficult to win over but you set yourself up for failure by not practicing the message you preach and undermined yourself. Not effective.

I'm afraid you haven't succeeded at all in showing hypocrisy on my part. You've made the claim that I condemn gamers hypocritically, but, so far, you haven't proved your case. What you have done, though, is demonstrate a defensiveness of such intensity that it suggests to me a guilty conscience.

It may surprise you to know that persuading you of the truths I shared in my first post in this thread was never - and still isn't - my goal. I was addressing the concerns of the OP, not some stranger who can't seem to bear the thought that his sacred cow (or should that be sacred sin?) has been criticized. I shared those truths, not with the aim of changing the mind of the OP (or anyone else), but of proclaiming the truth and waiting on God to do whatever He wishes with my proclamation.

Upvote 0

Maxx Omega

Dec 6, 2019
Etobicoke
✟7,952.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
1 Corinthians 10:31
I see no self-denial whatever in video game play, however. It is entirely self-centered entertainment, serving no purpose but to please, and gratify, and (over) stimulate the player.
My first post here. Yayyy. Been lurking here a long time since I lost my old account I had here years ago. Thought I'd maybe sign up again for awhile.

Reading this whole thread, I felt I needed to post. I'm sure that is what YOU see. However, it isn't what everyone will see. As others said, it seems no different than other forms of entertainment people will do to pass free time. I've been gaming for 30 years and am now 62 years old. My father and his 2 brothers all died with Alzheimers. Gaming helps me keep my mind very active. I find that sooooo many people commenting on gaming have no idea at all what the gaming world is about. I play with Doctors, Lawyers and many soldiers in Iraq and Afghanistan who play when not out on missions. I wonder how un-Godly it is for these soldiers to play when they come online and while doing their duty in the service of the USA, they talk about they put bullets through 2 guys heads and were looking to wind down. You never know what kind of people out there are playing. Games like EVE online are massively complex games with an economy designed by a Phd Economist and it takes 18 months to 2 years to really understand the game. This is not your goofy beep beep type arcade game.
Gaming makes 5 Billion dollars a year, employs hundred of thousands feeding them and their families, and actually makes more than all Hollywood movies.
And what's more, most video games are designed to foster chronic game play, even addiction.
Please show me what statistics you have to prove that statement which is just patently false...

I'll agree with those who say you really need to watch your gaming subject matter, but the gaming itself is not really the problem. It's no different than those who sit in front of their non-interactive TV for 5 hours a day after work because they are too tired to do anything else...

Carry on...

Upvote 0