Alabama
✟486,806.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
THE EVIDENCE FROM EARLY CHURCH HISTORY, CHRISTIAN, NOT JEWISH!

Ignatius, Bishop of Antioch (A.D.35-108)

" If, therefore, they who were under the older dispensation came into a new hope, no longer keeping the Sabbath, but living in observance of the Lord's Day, on which day also our life rose through him and through his death, which certain deny, through which mystery we have received faith (and through this abide, that we may be found disciples of Jesus Christ, our only teacher)" (To the Magnesians, Chapter 9.1)

The Didache - The Teachings of the 12 Apostles to the World. (A.D. 85-125)

"But every Lord's Day gather yourselves together, and break bread, and give thanksgiving after having confessed your transgressions, that your sacrifice may be pure" (Chapter 14)

Justin Martyr (A.D.100-165)

" And we afterwards continually remind each other of these things. And the wealthy among us help the needy; and we always keep together; and for all things wherewith we are supplied, we bless the Maker of all through His Son Jesus Christ, and through the Holy Ghost. And on the day called Sunday, all who live in cities or in the country gather together to one place, and the memoirs of the apostles or the writings of the prophets are read, as long as time permits; then, when the reader has ceased, the president verbally instructs, and exhorts to the imitation of these good things. Then we all rise together and pray, and, as we before said, when our prayer is ended, bread and wine and water are brought, and the president in like manner offers prayers and thanksgivings, according to his ability, and the people assent, saying Amen; and there is a distribution to each, and a participation of that over which thanks have been given, and to those who are absent a portion is sent by the deacons. And they who are well to do, and willing, give what each thinks fit; and what is collected is deposited with the president, who succours the orphans and widows and those who, through sickness or any other cause, are in want, and those who are in bonds and the strangers sojourning among us, and in a word takes care of all who are in need. But Sunday is the day on which we all hold our common assembly, because it is the first day on which God, having wrought a change in the darkness and matter, made the world; and Jesus Christ our Saviour on the same day rose from the dead. For He was crucified on the day before that of Saturn (Saturday); and on the day after that of Saturn, which is the day of the Sun, having appeared to His apostles and disciples, He taught them these things, which we have submitted to you also for your consideration." (First Apology, Chapter 67)

The Epistle of Barnabas (about A.D.130)

"Finally He saith to them; Your new moons and your Sabbaths I cannot away with. Ye see what is His meaning ; it is not your present Sabbaths that are acceptable [unto Me], but the Sabbath which I have made, in the which, when I have set all things at rest, I will make the beginning of the eighth day [Sunday] which is the beginning of another world. Wherefore also we keep the eighth day [Sunday] for rejoicing, in the which also Jesus rose from the dead, and having been manifested ascended into the heavens." (15:8-9)

Eusebius, Church Historian (A.D.263-339)

"The Sabbath and the rest of the discipline of the Jews they observed just like them, but at the same time, like us, they celebrated the Lord's Days as a memorial of the resurrection of the Saviour" (Church History, Book III, Chapter 27)

"A question of no small importance arose at that time. For the parishes of all Asia, as from an older tradition, held that the fourteenth day of the moon, on which day the Jews were commanded to sacrifice the lamb, should be observed as the feast of the Saviour's passover. It was therefore necessary to end their fast on that day, whatever day of the week it should happen to be. But it was not the custom of the churches in the rest of the world to end it at this time, as they observed the practice which, from apostolic tradition, has prevailed to the present time, of terminating the fast on no other day than on that of the Resurrection of our Saviour. Synods and assemblies of bishops were held on this account, and all, with one consent, through mutual correspondence drew up an ecclesiastical decree, that the mystery of the Resurrection of the Lord should be celebrated on no other but the Lord's Day, and that we should observe the close of the paschal fast on this day only" (Book V, Chapter 23)

The Apostolic Constitutions (about A.D.385)

" And on the Day of our Lord's Resurrection, which is the Lord's Day, meet more diligently, sending praise to God that made the universe by Jesus, and sent Him to us, and condescended to let Him suffer, and raised Him from the dead. Otherwise what apology will he make to God who does not assemble on that Day to hear the saving word concerning the resurrection, on which we pray thrice standing in memory of Him who arose in three days, in which is performed the reading of the prophets, the preaching of the Gospel, the oblation of the sacrifice, the gift of the holy food?" (7:59)

I will take the word of MY GOD over that of created beings/man.

HOW about you, do you put your trust in the LORD or man?

Please answer the question in post #11.

No more obfuscation just a simple yes or no

Are you following in the steps of Peter at midnight?

Upvote 0

Original Happy Camper

One of GODS Children I am a historicist
Site Supporter
Mar 19, 2016
Alabama
✟486,806.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Bond-servant of Christ

Sep 15, 2020
Birmingham
✟21,487.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
In case you didn't know the Hebrew word שבת (Shabbat) means rest.

The Greek word you are referring to, σαββατισμος, or sabbatismos is the Greek rendering of the Hebrew word שבת which means rest.

I know Hebrew Greek and Latin

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,100,771.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Well, in truth, there aren't "so many of us."

That's a long list, but it's a list composed mainly of tiny splinter groups, some of which may hold to the Seventh-day Sabbath but are quite unorthodox in other ways that I doubt you want to associate with. Some are single-congregation affairs, and I recognize the names of some that are now defunct.

When I say us; I simply mean those who honor YHWH's 7th day Sabbath.

40 tears ago, I came to the Sabbath truth without any human input. I went searching for others who understood the same. It wasn't until the 90's when the internet became available until I found the first person who understood. Still I had no congregation to fellowship with on this point. I didn't know about the SDA's, until about the same time that I found a Messianic congregation. Since then the numbers of us have been growing at an amazing rate.

I wish that I had this list 40 years ago.

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,100,771.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Well, I'd be interested to know if that's true or not.

I've seen the anecdotal evidence in the Messianic congregations that I've attended. @BobRyan has some stats that might interest you concerning the SDAs.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I've seen the anecdotal evidence in the Messianic congregations that I've attended. @BobRyan has some stats that might interest you concerning the SDAs.
I know that the SDAs claim to be fast-growing, which I think is true. And that's despite some deceptive use of statistics that appeared on these forums and sought to show them as the fifth largest communion in the world among all Christian communities. It definitely is not.

But other than for the SDA, I'm wondering who.

Last edited:
  • Optimistic
Reactions: LoveGodsWord
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,862.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

Indeed the Seventh-day Adventist church was only at about 3.4 Million in 1980. It was smaller than the Southern Baptist Association. But it doubled in size every 12 to 15 and now it is at around every 15 to 20 years -- so then in 2019 it was at around 22 million member world wide.

Christianity Today called it the fastest growing and 5th largest Christian denomination in the world in Feb of 2015.

And of course it is only one of the many groups listed in the first few posts of this thread.

One thing is for sure - there were not that many Sabbath keeping groups back in the 1860's when the SDA denomination was organized.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,862.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I know that the SDAs claim to be fast-growing, which may be true for all I know. And that's despite some deceptive use of statistics that aims to show them as the fifth largest communion in the world among all Christian communities.

You are free to call Christianity Today "deceptive" when they make that statement... but you should not feel free call anyone who quotes Christianity Today "deceptive" for daring to quote them - just because you have some other preference.

But other than for the SDA, I'm wondering who.

Is it your argument that other groups can be described as "deceptive" if they too quote Christianity Today regarding some growth statistic that does not reflect negatively on their Sabbath keeping group??

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,862.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I know Hebrew Greek and Latin

Then you know that not one text in all of scripture calls week-day-1 "the Lord's Day" and you also know that not one text in all of scripture say "remember to keep holy week-day-1" or even "from weekday-1 to week-day-1 shall all mankind come before Me to worship".

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,862.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Thanks, but it wasn't Christianity Today that promulgated that falsehood.

Well I gave the reference...so far all you are offering is your accusation with nothing to back it up as fact. You have free will but claiming that the Christianity Article does not exist is not very compelling.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,862.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,862.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Well, in truth, there aren't "so many of us."

That's a long list, but it's a list composed mainly of tiny splinter groups, some of which may hold to the Seventh-day Sabbath but are quite unorthodox in other ways that I doubt you want to associate with. Some are single-congregation affairs, and I recognize the names of some that are now defunct.

Aside from the one that Christianity Today called "the 5th largest Christian denomination in the world" back in 2015.

What is your point?

As I already said - that list of Sabbath keeping groups is far larger than it was in the 1860's when the SDA denomination organized.

The modern Messianic Jewish movement in America that started in the 1960's is a good example of rapid growth -- for example.

Messianic Judaism - Wikipedia.

From 2003 to 2007, the movement grew from 150 Messianic houses of worship in the United States to as many as 438, with over 100 in Israel and more worldwide; congregations are often affiliated with larger Messianic organizations or alliances.[22][23] As of 2012, population estimates for the United States were between 175,000 and 250,000 members, between 10,000 and 20,000 members for Israel, and an estimated total worldwide membership of 350,000.[24]

Of course Peter, James, John, and Paul started that Messianic Jewish movement in the NT as one article notes..

Last edited:
Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,100,771.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Thanks, but it wasn't Christianity Today that promulgated that falsehood.

Like I said, when I started searching the internet in the 90's; I found one person who knew the truth. Now look at us all.

Messianics are a minority compared to SDAs; but in about 6 years I've seen the size of our congregation triple. We had to get a new building.

Upvote 0