United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
BobRyan said:
Amen!

In Heb 8:4-12 we are told that it was Christ speaking at Sinai
and Christ speaking in Jer 31:31-34 - the New Covenant.

Amen right backatcha!
:)

Give God the glory!

The main disconnect in this discussion is with the value and purpose of covenants, with which evangelical Christianity is obsessed. They insist that the old covenant was doomed before it was instituted.

Step 1. Define terms.
"Old Covenant" is used two different ways in the New Testament. (And not used at all in the Old Testament".

Old Covenant as a type: refers to the covenant made with the nation of Israel when God (Jesus Christ) set up his one true nation church at Sinai. It had a lot of promises in it regarding earthly inheritance and protection. It also had the moral law of God.

Old Covenant antitype: "Obey and Live" as Galatians 3 points out. It is first made with Adam and Eve before they sinned (Romans 5) . And after the fall of man it is still the "obey and live" covenant under which all mankind are lost still to this very day for those not covered by the Gospel - Rom 3:19-20. This also had the moral law of God - that which defines what sin it.

New Covenant: Jer 31:31-34 - explained in detail in the OT - it is the "one Gospel" of Gal 1:6-9. It includes adoption, forgiveness of sins, the new birth with the moral Law of God written on heart and mind. It has that same moral law of God in it that defines what sin it. It is unchanged in the NT Heb 8:6-12. It is how Moses and Elijah stand with Christ in Matt 17 - in glory, before the cross. It is how Enoch is translated directly to heaven in Genesis 5. It is how Adam and Eve were rescued from the fall.

Upvote 0

Bob S

Site Supporter
Dec 5, 2015
Union County, TN
✟662,823.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Why not go directly to the source?

This is what Yahshua said moments before he ascended:

(CLV) Lk 24:44
Now He said to them, "These are My words, which I speak to you, still being with you, for all must be fulfilled that is written in the law of Moses and the prophets and psalms concerning Me."

In case you aren't aware of the fact; this was after Calvary.

The best is yet to come.
I agree Hark. Praise God for His mercy. The fact is that Jesus said He came to fulfill the Law. Jesus is God and God does not fail or leave things half done. Everything Jesus came to do He did. All of the old covenant laws ended at Calvary, not just some of them. Question: do you have any idea what was written in the Law that was not fulfilled at Calvary? Not one jot nor one tittle would pass from the law till ALL be fulfilled. All had to be fulfilled before one jot could be removed. If you do not agree then I have to ask if you are observing all of the laws of the old covenant that would concern people like us?

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,099,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
I agree Hark.

I appreciate your candid concession.

Praise God for His mercy.

Hallelu Yah!

The fact is that Jesus said He came to fulfill the Law.

I didn't challenge that fact.

Jesus is God and God does not fail or leave things half done.

All is not done. All will be done.

Everything Jesus came to do He did.

True. However all is not done.

All of the old covenant laws ended at Calvary, not just some of them.

No they didn't.

Heaven and earth have not passed away. The empirical evidence is all around us.

Question: do you have any idea what was written in the Law that was not fulfilled at Calvary?

Yes. For example Sukkot has not been fulfilled.

Not one jot nor one tittle would pass from the law till ALL be fulfilled.

That's right; and don't forget that heaven and earth will pass away before any of the Torah will.

All had to be fulfilled before one jot could be removed.

All has not been fulfilled. Read Revelation.

If you do not agree then I have to ask if you are observing all of the laws of the old covenant that would concern people like us?

Yes, to the best of my understanding, and strength, in Yahshua. I just brushed fresh lamb's blood over the Shema on my doorposts, a little over a week ago.

Are you observing any of YHWH's instruction? If so, why?

Upvote 0

Bob S

Site Supporter
Dec 5, 2015
Union County, TN
✟662,823.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I appreciate your candid concession.
It is no concession; it is something I pray will happen very soon. It is Jesus promise. Did you think I didn't realize that before you wrote it?

All is not done. All will be done.
All that Jesus came to do is done.

True. However all is not done.
All Jesus came to do is done. Jesus came to fulfill the law and prophets. He did that perfectly.

No they didn't.

Heaven and earth have not passed away. The empirical evidence is all around us.
Heaven and Earth passing is a metaphor. The vail of the Temple was rent telling the Jews that the sacrificial system ended putting the Levites out of business. Jesus became High Priest. Gal 3:19 19 Why, then, was the law given at all? It was added (to the Israelites) because of transgressions until the Seed to whom the promise referred had come. Gal 3: 24 So the law was our (the Jews) guardian until Christ came that we (the Jews) might be justified by faith. 25 Now that this faith has come, we (the Jews) are no longer under a guardian.

Eph 2: 14 For he himself is our peace, who has made the two groups one and has destroyed the barrier, the dividing wall of hostility, 15 by setting aside in his flesh the law with its commands and regulations. His purpose was to create in himself one new humanity out of the two, thus making peace,

Verses 14 and 15 clinch the discussion for me. The Jews had the Law and the Gentiles didn't. The Jews couldn't keep the Laws of the covenant, so Jesus set aside the Law brought it to an end at Calvary, introduced the new and better covenant to ALL who will accept it. Jesus' death on the Cross has given all Gentiles and Jews the greatest gift ever given to man. I accept His gift and all He asks is that we love others as He loves us. All the rituals of the old covenant have been set aside for the Jews. I wonder how Jesus feels when any of His children turn their backs on His gift and turn to Moses and the old covenant?

Yes. For example Sukkot has not been fulfilled.
All the ritual laws have been fulfilled.

That's right; and don't forget that heaven and earth will pass away before any of the Torah will.
That is not what Jesus said. We know for sure that the Levite priesthood ended. That was part of Torah.

All has not been fulfilled. Read Revelation.
I have not indicated that all has been fulfilled. I have repeatedly written that all Jesus came to do He fulfilled.

Yes, to the best of my understanding, and strength, in Yahshua. I just brushed fresh lamb's blood over the Shema on my doorposts, a little over a week ago.
That is an indication that you have not accepted what Jesus did for man at Calvary.

Are you observing any of YHWH's instruction? If so, why?
Yes, Yes and more yes, Jesus has given His instruction in Jn 15:9 “As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Now remain in my love. 10 If you keep my commands, you will remain in my love, just as I have kept my Father’s commands and remain in his love. 11 I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and that your joy may be complete. 12 My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you. 13 Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one’s life for one’s friends.

Why? It would take all my life to give you a full answer to "Why". It is through my faith in Jesus that I recognize His leading in my life. I love Jesus because He has never given up on me. When I am down, He lifts me up. I love Jesus because He first loved me. So, it is a great privilege to do what He asks.

I truly believe the reason some Christians turn to the laws of Moses is because they have not recognized all that Jesus has done for all mankind. My question is why do Gentiles who have never ever been burdened with the law of Moses feel the necessity to do what the Galatians did in Gal 3?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,099,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
All that Jesus came to do is done.

Yet all of Yahshua's work is not done.

All Jesus came to do is done. Jesus came to fulfill the law and prophets. He did that perfectly.

Yet all of the Law and the Prophets have not been fulfilled.

Reactions: Dkh587
Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,099,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Heaven and Earth passing is a metaphor.

(CLV) Mt 24:35
Heaven and earth shall be passing by, yet My words may by no means be passing by.

I'll just take Yahshua at his word.

Upvote 0