A nuclear reactor run by students.

sjastro

May 14, 2014
✟278,019.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
A video which includes interesting scenarios such as what to do if your accidently drop your mobile phone into the reactor.

The reactor has a SCRAM button if the reactor goes out of control, the origin of the acronym SCRAM dates back to the first reactor built by Enrico Fermi at the University of Chicago in 1942, where the emergency switch-off method consisted of a control rod attached to a rope. Someone stood by ready to chop the rope with an axe if the rod failed: “SCRAM” is supposedly an acronym of “Safety Control Rod Axe Man”.

Reactions: Halbhh

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,159,906.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I remember visiting a college nuclear reactor with open pool like that, and you looked down and could see the blue glow, and they tell you of course that you are safe due to the distance of water between you and the neutrons, etc.
It's really cool though to look down there and see the blue glow, and so of course someone says what if you fall in? and so on, and they answer like something sorta like you'd have to get really close to the reactor to be in danger. :cool:

Reactions: sjastro
Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,756.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
They treat it like having a reactor is unusual.

There are at least 3 in the Los Angeles area. One I worked with undergrad, one at the university where I went to grad school and I'm sure there is one or more at Cal Tech.

It was a bit disconcerting that there was at least one glaring error in the video. If you irradiate something it does not always or even usually decay back to what you started with. Anyone who understands breeder reactors or how carbon 14 dating works would know that.

Upvote 0