A non partisan political thread

Bradskii

Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail?
Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟256,361.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Will this be too much to hope for?

How about everyone who posts wishes the other side good luck in the mid terms. How about everyone who posts promises to accept a win humbly and a loss graciously. How about we each congratulate the winners when all is said and done.

How about everyone states that violence or threats of violence have no part at all in the democratic process. How about everyone agrees not to complain that the election was rigged. How about both sides look for common ground where they can agree and work together after the elections.

How about you put your country first and yourself second. How about you do your utmost to understand the oppositions point of view even if you disagree with it. How about you actually voting..?

It's called democracy. It's a miserable and fault ridden system, but it's the least worst one we have. And looking from the outside in, it's been looking a little shaky in the Land of the Free in recent times. So pull yourselves together and show the rest of us that you still have what it takes.

Good luck to both parties.

Brihaha

May 6, 2021
Virginia
✟152,590.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I would love to see bipartisanship make a comeback. America is strong when we stay united and quit dividing ourselves into political tribes that consider each other enemies. We citizens must realize once again that we are not enemies. We Americans are actually on the same team, IF we stop letting politicians divide us to minimize our power.

• Agree
Reactions: hislegacy
Upvote 0

Bradskii

Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟256,361.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
What do you mean with "good luck"?

A courtesy comment. Just as you'd desperately want to beat the opposing football side, you can turn to one of the opposing supporters, shake his hand and wish him good luck.

Do you sulk if you lose the game? Crow if you win? Or do you shake the guy's hand again and say 'Well played (even if they didn't play well) but we'll get you/better luck next time'. If his team gets up and he wants to get in your face about it, then his team are winners but he's shown himself to be a loser.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟494,548.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
A courtesy comment. Just as you'd desperately want to beat the opposing football side, you can turn to one of the opposing supporters, shake his hand and wish him good luck.

Do you sulk if you lose the game? Crow if you win? Or do you shake the guy's hand again and say 'Well played (even if they didn't play well) but we'll get you/better luck next time'. If his team gets up and he wants to get in your face about it, then his team are winners but he's shown himself to be a loser.
I think people feel that there is too much at stake during elections do have such a point of view.

• Agree
Reactions: cow451
Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟325,984.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

How about everyone who posts wishes the other side good luck in the mid terms. How about everyone who posts promises to accept a win humbly and a loss graciously. How about we each congratulate the winners when all is said and done.

How about everyone states that violence or threats of violence have no part at all in the democratic process. How about everyone agrees not to complain that the election was rigged. How about both sides look for common ground where they can agree and work together after the elections.

How about you put your country first and yourself second. How about you do your utmost to understand the oppositions point of view even if you disagree with it. How about you actually voting..?

It's called democracy. It's a miserable and fault ridden system, but it's the least worst one we have. And looking from the outside in, it's been looking a little shaky in the Land of the Free in recent times. So pull yourselves together and show the rest of us that you still have what it takes.

May the least crazy side win.

Upvote 0

Bradskii

Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟256,361.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I think people feel that there is too much at stake during elections do have such a point of view.

People need to start. There will always be a divide. But there doesn't need to be division.

People need to set an example. And where better a place than a Christian forum? Do I need to start quoting scripture?

Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟494,548.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
People need to start. There will always be a divide. But there doesn't need to be division.

People need to set an example. And where better a place than a Christian forum? Do I need to start quoting scripture?
Where do you start when one side accuses the other of killing babies and the other side accuses the first side of trying to dismantle democracy?

There's simply no stepping down from this in my opinion. It's like mutually assured destruction five minutes after the first nukes have detonated.

• Agree
Reactions: cow451
Upvote 0

Bradskii

Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟256,361.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Where do you start when one side accuses the other of killing babies and the other side accuses the first side of trying to dismantle democracy?

Ignore the hyperbole, take the heat out of the argument and look for common ground. Do you think that shouting slogans at each other is going to help?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Lady Bug

Thankful For My Confirmation
Site Supporter
Aug 23, 2007
✟788,082.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
How about everyone who posts wishes the other side good luck in the mid terms.
Sorry I can't do that lol.
How about everyone states that violence or threats of violence have no part at all in the democratic process.
I can agree with that.
How about you put your country first and yourself second.
I don't know which one is actually more important lol.
How about you do your utmost to understand the oppositions point of view even if you disagree with it.
I do try, but I wish that the opposition would not demonize their opposition.

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,094,020.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Regardless of party, i admire people of character and integrity.
Some Republicans i admire included John McCain, Liz Cheney, Bob Dole, Bush 43, Colin Powell, Javob Javits, Adam Kinzinger...Maryland's governor
I wish every candidate with character and integrity well.
I want to see good Republicans succeed because they are the ones who will bring honor back to their party.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟337,036.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
For what it's worth, I just looked at the web site of the challenger to the incumbent congressman in my district. (I'm in the incumbent's party.) I disagree with the challenger on most of the issues (that's why I'm in the other party), but I see that she's concerned for the well-being of the country, and she offers some valid criticisms of the incumbent, and if she wins, I'd be happy to shake her hand and say "well done".

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟705,891.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Bravo @Bradskii, well said and thoughtfully expressed!

Violence in any form has no place in our elections, or the results of elections. Whether it is a break in at a politicians home or a 'comedian' holding the depiction of the severed head of the President.

There is a part of me that wishes we could make changes in people's attitudes and demeanors to where we can do just what you are suggesting here.

Some Democrats I admire are Joe Manchin and Krystal Cinema who have the integrity to stand up for what is right. When everyone in your party is speaking against you and you stand your ground based on what you believe is something I can admire.

I want to see good and honest Democrats succeed so they can bring their party back to a place where they legislate for everyone once again. I remember the Clinton years where there was a Democratic leadership in the Executive branch and a Republican leadership in the Legislative branch and they worked together and helped just about everyone. We are stronger when we work together.

Reactions: Bradskii
Upvote 0

Brihaha

May 6, 2021
Virginia
✟152,590.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'd like to see congress work together again. Especially on tough problems like immigration reform. There has only been two serious attempts at legislation in the 21st century in America. I'll let readers infer their own conclusions as to why the attempts failed. And why congress has seemingly given up on the issue. A simple argument could be made that we voters don't demand accountability for the politicians who aren't willing to tackle the issue.

Can Biden pass immigration reform? History says it will be tough

Upvote 0