San Antonio
✟30,376.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Divorced
Our English versions of the Bible are not "source documents." While there is a level of accuracy, there are far too many mistakes, bad translations to be found, and things being added or taken away from the original writings. Every English version is guilty of altering God's original word. One would think that with the amount of information available concerning the language, history, culture, and Theology of the Jewish people, one would expect that at some point in the near future, an English version of Scripture that accurately conveys the true and accurate meaning of what was originally written down, especially the New Testament, would be available.

I am working on an accurate English translation of the gospels, putting them in chronological order and, as part of the narrative, either using the correct words, using the correct syntax, and explaining the Jewish figures of speech in a way that brings to light the correct meaning of what was spoken. In the narrative, I would phrase things in such a way that shows every time a direct quote or reference to the Old Testament is used. For example, I would phrase Mat 4:4, " Yeshua answered and said, "Just as it is written in Deut 8:3, man will not live on bread alone, but by every word that comes out of the mouth of God."
My version of Mk 12:28- A scribe who had heard the conversation and perceived that Jesus had given a good answer, asked Him, "Which commandment is the first and most important? Jesus replied, "The things I teach come straight from the Old Testament, where the Father gave us His commands. The first commandment, as it is written in Deut 6:4-5 is, "Hear O Israel; The Lord our God is one Lord. And you will love the Lord thy God with all of your heart, soul and mind, with all of your strength. This is the first and most important commandment. The second most important is found in Lev 19:18,...You will love your neighbor as yourself, in that, as you would never treat yourself badly, do yourself any harm and only treat yourself well, treat your neighbor in the same way you treat yourself. None of the other commandments are greater than these two." (Jesus was instructing that if you obey and practice these two greatest commandments, you will never break any of the other commandments.)

I would also give the background of events so the reader can understand the dynamics of a particular scene. When one came to Luke 4:14-18, between verses 14 and 15, I would include, In those days, if a traveling priest or Rabbi were to enter a synagogue in another part of the country, the chief ruler of the synagogue, the person responsible for overseeing the religious activities of a synagogue, would often invite the visitor to participate in the teaching of Scripture. The speaker would stand as he read the Scripture and then sit down to expound on what was read. However, the speaker did not pick at random the part of Scripture he wanted to read. The Jewish people, then as now, followed a strict schedule of what was to be read and when. The next speaker would pick up at the exact point the last reader had stopped reading.
Verse 17 would read," And the scroll of Isaiah was handed to Jesus. Jesus found the part of Scripture where he was to start from and read Isaiah 61:1, The spirit of the Lord God is upon me..."

I would also group together teaching on the same subject, which in the gospels is scattered in different places and makes it hard to get the full teaching. One gross example of this is what Jesus taught about forgiveness. Most believe that the most important teaching Yeshua did on forgiveness is Mat 6:14-15. Unfortunately, this is taught to mean that God requires believers to forgive any and all sin committed against them, by any person, for any reason and if they don't do this, God will not forgive them! That is false teaching! Because Jesus taught another aspect about forgiveness in Luke 17:3. I would have Luke 17:3-4 immediately follow Mat 6:14-15. Here is a great example of the proper word definition being used and adding a little background, all to bring clarity and understanding to what is being read:

"As it is written in Scripture, Num 15:27-31, there are two ways to sin, unintentionally and intentionally. So I tell you that when you forgive anybody who has committed any unintentional sin against you, God your Father will forgive any unintentional sin you commit against another or God. But if you don't forgive others any and all unintentional sin against you, God will not forgive your unintentional sin.
But, now, pay attention to this! If your brother, another believer, commits intentional sin against you, you must rebuke and admonish him! And IF, and only if, he repents (acknowledges, feels remorse, and vows not to do it again), forgive him. If he doesn't repent, don't forgive him! If a brother intentionally sins against you seven different times in a day and repents each sin, you will forgive him! Those in God's family must not hold grudges and be quick to forgive (Eph 4:32)

This example shows how Mat 6:14-15 and Lk 17:3-4 do tie together and gives a complete understanding of what Jesus taught. Normally, if one were to read Mat 6:14-15 one day and seven days later, was to read Luke 17:3-4, the reader will not make the connection. So, what do you guys think? Is this a needed version? My initial thought to title this work is "The Self-Explanatory Gospel," with the subtitle "Read and Learn the Words of Jesus for Yourself."

Der Alte

This is me about 1 yr. old.
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Our English versions of the Bible are not "source documents." While there is a level of accuracy, there are far too many mistakes, bad translations to be found, and things being added or taken away from the original writings. Every English version is guilty of altering God's original word. One would think that with the amount of information available concerning the language, history, culture, and Theology of the Jewish people, one would expect that at some point in the near future, an English version of Scripture that accurately conveys the true and accurate meaning of what was originally written down, especially the New Testament, would be available.
I am working on an accurate English translation of the gospels, putting them in chronological order and, as part of the narrative, either using the correct words, using the correct syntax, and explaining the Jewish figures of speech in a way that brings to light the correct meaning of what was spoken. In the narrative, I would phrase things in such a way that shows every time a direct quote or reference to the Old Testament is used. For example, I would phrase Mat 4:4, " Yeshua answered and said, "Just as it is written in Deut 8:3, man will not live on bread alone, but by every word that comes out of the mouth of God."

My version of Mk 12:28- A scribe who had heard the conversation and perceived that Jesus had given a good answer, asked Him, "Which commandment is the first and most important? Jesus replied, "The things I teach come straight from the Old Testament, where the Father gave us His commands. The first commandment, as it is written in Deut 6:4-5 is, "Hear O Israel; The Lord our God is one Lord. And you will love the Lord thy God with all of your heart, soul and mind, with all of your strength. This is the first and most important commandment. The second most important is found in Lev 19:18,...You will love your neighbor as yourself, in that, as you would never treat yourself badly, do yourself any harm and only treat yourself well, treat your neighbor in the same way you treat yourself. None of the other commandments are greater than these two." (Jesus was instructing that if you obey and practice these two greatest commandments, you will never break any of the other commandments.)
I would also give the background of events so the reader can understand the dynamics of a particular scene. When one came to Luke 4:14-18, between verses 14 and 15, I would include, In those days, if a traveling priest or Rabbi were to enter a synagogue in another part of the country, the chief ruler of the synagogue, the person responsible for overseeing the religious activities of a synagogue, would often invite the visitor to participate in the teaching of Scripture. The speaker would stand as he read the Scripture and then sit down to expound on what was read. However, the speaker did not pick at random the part of Scripture he wanted to read. The Jewish people, then as now, followed a strict schedule of what was to be read and when. The next speaker would pick up at the exact point the last reader had stopped reading.
Verse 17 would read," And the scroll of Isaiah was handed to Jesus. Jesus found the part of Scripture where he was to start from and read Isaiah 61:1, The spirit of the Lord God is upon me..."
I would also group together teaching on the same subject, which in the gospels is scattered in different places and makes it hard to get the full teaching. One gross example of this is what Jesus taught about forgiveness. Most believe that the most important teaching Yeshua did on forgiveness is Mat 6:14-15. Unfortunately, this is taught to mean that God requires believers to forgive any and all sin committed against them, by any person, for any reason and if they don't do this, God will not forgive them! That is false teaching! Because Jesus taught another aspect about forgiveness in Luke 17:3. I would have Luke 17:3-4 immediately follow Mat 6:14-15. Here is a great example of the proper word definition being used and adding a little background, all to bring clarity and understanding to what is being read:
"As it is written in Scripture, Num 15:27-31, there are two ways to sin, unintentionally and intentionally. So I tell you that when you forgive anybody who has committed any unintentional sin against you, God your Father will forgive any unintentional sin you commit against another or God. But if you don't forgive others any and all unintentional sin against you, God will not forgive your unintentional sin.
But, now, pay attention to this! If your brother, another believer, commits intentional sin against you, you must rebuke and admonish him! And IF, and only if, he repents (acknowledges, feels remorse, and vows not to do it again), forgive him. If he doesn't repent, don't forgive him! If a brother intentionally sins against you seven different times in a day and repents each sin, you will forgive him! Those in God's family must not hold grudges and be quick to forgive (Eph 4:32)
This example shows how Mat 6:14-15 and Lk 17:3-4 do tie together and gives a complete understanding of what Jesus taught. Normally, if one were to read Mat 6:14-15 one day and seven days later, was to read Luke 17:3-4, the reader will not make the connection. So, what do you guys think? Is this a needed version? My initial thought to title this work is "The Self-Explanatory Gospel," with the subtitle "Read and Learn the Words of Jesus for Yourself."
This is all well and good but virtually every version around was done with the same purpose in mind. My first Greek professor, Dr Roger Omanson, back in the '80s, since deceased, was on the initial NIV committee and often spoke about the struggles they went through when the old guard resisted changing some of the familiar wording in the good ol' King Jimmy. Also, I have no idea of your qualifications for such an undertaking. Since my student days I have found two "versions" which I consider to be the most accurate versions currently available. The Eastern Greek Orthodox EOB NT translation and the Jewish Publication Society JPS OT translation.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

sandman

Aug 17, 2003
MI
✟121,866.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Constitution
I am working on an accurate English translation of the gospels, putting them in chronological order
I admire your pursuit .... I had done some of that many years ago with specific subjects like 6 days before and 6 after the crucifixion which sounds easy but including and separating all the events that were involved was a dream come true for post-it ... I finally did a spread sheet which I put on a disc.... somewhere. One of the challenges I had was forgoing all previous learning and any of the gospel harmony which are severely lacking

I stand in awe of someone like Bullinger what a mind he must have had.... and no computer or Post-it's...
His work of Figures of Speech used in the Bible is second to none and is a great asset for that area.

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟721,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

God your Father will forgive any unintentional sin you commit against another or God. But if you don't forgive others any and all unintentional sin against you, God will not forgive your unintentional sin.

Are we to think that someone who committed an unintentional sin will not receive salvation (be forgiven by the Lord)? Do we know who has/will been forgiven and who has not? No on both counts.

Translations .... indeed there are many ..... yours would be another one based on your thinking (understanding). I do think it wise to compare translations .... and then rely on the Holy Spirit of the Lord to guide each of us into better understanding. Here is one source. Bible Hub: Search, Read, Study the Bible in Many Languages

I think it not wise for any of us to put forth who will or will not be saved (what Jesus will do) .... judgement and forgiveness is entirely up to Jesus and only He knows the heart.

Reactions: AbbaLove
Upvote 0

Bob corrigan

May 3, 2022
San Antonio
✟30,376.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Divorced
It sounds like what you are writing is a commentary, rather than a translation. Would you be willing to publish it as a commentary?

I can understand why you would consider what I propose as a commentary. And I would be willing to publish it as a commentary. I would never quibble on what to call it.

Upvote 0

Bob corrigan

May 3, 2022
San Antonio
✟30,376.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Divorced
I admire your pursuit .... I had done some of that many years ago with specific subjects like 6 days before and 6 after the crucifixion which sounds easy but including and separating all the events that were involved was a dream come true for post-it ... I finally did a spread sheet which I put on a disc.... somewhere. One of the challenges I had was forgoing all previous learning and any of the gospel harmony which are severely lacking

I stand in awe of someone like Bullinger what a mind he must have had.... and no computer or Post-it's...
His work of Figures of Speech used in the Bible is second to none and is a great asset for that area.

Yes, Bullinger is one of my go-to sources. Yes, many of the great men of God had incredible minds and an amazing depth of knowledge. Many of them knew Greek, Hebrew, and Latin. If you are interested, I purchased a work called "The Merged Gospels," by Gary Crossland, a chronological view of the Gospels, a number of years ago. It is very well laid out and it is easy to locate the section where you might want to focus on, for instance, if you wanted to look at John 6:54-58, the book will tell you where to find it located within the storyline. It is a wonderful tool and easy to follow. While it is no longer being published, many used copies are available for purchase. I would recommend anyone to obtain the book.
I am doing a study on baptism and wanted to give the chronological order of the events leading up to Jesus coming to John to be baptized after his time in the wilderness. This was easy to see as the book lays everything out in order. It really helps to know the order of events and where things happened in the Gospels to get a more complete understanding about the life of Jesus, who he talked to and why he said the things he said to different people.

Reactions: sandman
Upvote 0

sandman

Aug 17, 2003
MI
✟121,866.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Constitution
Yes, Bullinger is one of my go-to sources. Yes, many of the great men of God had incredible minds and an amazing depth of knowledge. Many of them knew Greek, Hebrew, and Latin. If you are interested, I purchased a work called "The Merged Gospels," by Gary Crossland, a chronological view of the Gospels, a number of years ago. It is very well laid out and it is easy to locate the section where you might want to focus on, for instance, if you wanted to look at John 6:54-58, the book will tell you where to find it located within the storyline. It is a wonderful tool and easy to follow. While it is no longer being published, many used copies are available for purchase. I would recommend anyone to obtain the book.
I am doing a study on baptism and wanted to give the chronological order of the events leading up to Jesus coming to John to be baptized after his time in the wilderness. This was easy to see as the book lays everything out in order. It really helps to know the order of events and where things happened in the Gospels to get a more complete understanding about the life of Jesus, who he talked to and why he said the things he said to different people.

Thank you ...I located the used book on "A" 37.50 (not sure if using the full name is against rules)
I appreciate the info .... The study sounds intriguing.... Gods blessings in you research.

Upvote 0

Bob corrigan

May 3, 2022
San Antonio
✟30,376.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Divorced
Thank you ...I located the used book on "A" 37.50 (not sure if using the full name is against rules)
I appreciate the info .... The study sounds intriguing.... Gods blessings in you research.

You can always post the name of the author of a book, article, website, blog, etc. I did attempt to post excerpts of a sermon from a well-known pastor, pointing out the lies. The idea was that people could watch the sermon for themselves and, using my notes, see for themselves the lies. But I used the pastor's name and was quickly informed that doing that was a no-no!
If you desire to learn more about the Jewishness of the New Testament, there are two bible versions I would recommend to you.
One New Man Bible, revealing Jewish roots and power, published by True Potential Publishing. You have to order the book direct from them. The other is The Complete Jewish Study Bible, published by Hendrickson. One New Man has three companion volumes associated with it; all three are available on Kindle for a low price. Very helpful! If you are interested in a good book, try The Jewish Jesus, by David Hoffbrand, also available on Kindle. If you have never ventured into the study of the Jewishness of the New Testament and you read any of these, you will be pleasantly surprised and amazed about the things people are not being taught.

Shalom

Reactions: sandman
Upvote 0