A Montana lawmaker suggested she’d rather risk her child’s suicide than let her transition

Merrill

Mar 25, 2023
Chicago
✟57,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Those medical decisions should not be taken lightly (and they aren't) but I think families and doctors should be allowed access to them within the bounds of medical ethics.
no one under the age of 18 should be given sex-change surgery, puberty blockers, hormones, etc. Such individuals are not mature, their brains have not completely developed, and they are impressionable.

that has been the guiding principle of medicine for decades, and now all of a sudden, the transgender-industrial-complex sees big profits to be made by putting kids to the knife and plowing them with drugs. Their own newsletters seek 30-40% growth rate per year--meaning this is not only allowed now, but becoming more common

your position on this isn't simply wrong, it is actually evil. It is horrifying to me that people in our society support stuff like this

Upvote 0

Wings like Eagles

Site Supporter
Jul 31, 2013
Arizona
✟215,653.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Those medical decisions should not be taken lightly (and they aren't) but I think families and doctors should be allowed access to them within the bounds of medical ethics.
After covid it is obvious there are no longer medical ethics, only what the Medical Industry dictates as policy pushed by profit.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟835,668.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Are you saying that sex change surgery for children is being called sex change surgery for children, rather than being euphemistically called "gender-affirming medical care"? Because that's the part I would be wrong about.
Nobody in the story called it "sex change surgery". Neither the politician nor the journalist.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟439,982.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
No, gender affirming care should be available (and not banned), so families can make these decisions with the advice of their doctors.

I think you're confusing "gender affirming care" with "medical treatment".

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

May God be with you and bless you.
Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟615,066.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Nobody in the story called it "sex change surgery". Neither the politician nor the journalist.
She only said surgery. But nonetheless it is sex change surgery for children.

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟615,066.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
After covid it is obvious there are no longer medical ethics, only what the Medical Industry dictates as policy pushed by profit.
Yep. This is a major cash cow for them.

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟615,066.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
no one under the age of 18 should be given sex-change surgery, puberty blockers, hormones, etc. Such individuals are not mature, their brains have not completely developed, and they are impressionable.
Those in support of this seem to have conveniently forgotten how extremely impressionable children are. Either that or they just don't care because their politics is all that matters to them.
that has been the guiding principle of medicine for decades, and now all of a sudden, the transgender-industrial-complex sees big profits to be made by putting kids to the knife and plowing them with drugs. Their own newsletters seek 30-40% growth rate per year--meaning this is not only allowed now, but becoming more common

your position on this isn't simply wrong, it is actually evil. It is horrifying to me that people in our society support stuff like this
They're only viewing through the lens of politics and misguided progressive ideology.

Upvote 0

RocksInMyHead

God is innocent; Noah built on a floodplain!
May 12, 2011
PA
✟323,120.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I don't see anything in the article giving the details of "her law".
That would make sense, as the article is not about the law. It's about something that one of the supporters of the law said.
Kerri Seekins-Crowe said: "One of the big issues that we have heard today and we've talked about lately is that without surgery the risk of suicide goes way up."

Whereas Rebecca Shabad who wrote the article said: "A recent comment by a Montana state lawmaker who sponsored legislation to ban gender-affirming medical care for transgender minors has gone viral and drawn backlash online."

But I didn't come across anything said or written by Kerri Seekins-Crowe, that addressed any aspect transing children other than surgery. Therefore I have to conclude that Rebecca Shabad is calling the surgical alteration of children "gender-affirming medical care".
How does that follow? "a Montana state lawmaker who sponsored legislation to ban gender-affirming medical care for transgender minors" is a description of Ms. Crowe that tells the reader who she is and puts her comments in context. Her comments are not the text of the law, so the descriptor used for the law has no relationship to her comments. The relevant place to look in order to determine what was being referred to as "gender-affirming care" would be the text of the legislation (helpfully provided in other comments already).
A large part of the whole transgender movement is changing the way things are said. Like instead of "mother" it's supposed to be "birthing person". Instead of "male" it's supposed to be "person who produces sperm" and on and on. And instead of saying "sex change surgery" it's "gender-affirming medical care"
Surgical transition is a type of gender-affirming care, but not all gender-affirming care is surgical. "Gender-affirming care" is a broad term that encompasses multiple different treatments, ranging from counseling and therapy to surgical transition (and everything in between). If someone is just talking about surgery, they'll say surgery. If someone is talking about a more abstract situation in which the type of care needed isn't known, or a situation in which multiple types of care are relevant, use of the term "gender-affirming care" simplifies the conversation.

It's like if someone talks about "cancer treatment". That could describe many different things - chemotherapy, radiation, surgery, hormone therapy, immunotherapy, stem cell transplant, etc. If the specific type isn't relevant to the conversation, or I'm talking about treatments for cancer in general, then using "cancer treatment" rather than listing off all possible treatments makes sense.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

okay

Apr 10, 2023
New England
✟14,863.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Especially the resent huge and increasing degree regarding children being surgically altered.
Surgeries are rare. Puberty blockers and hormones are less rare and increasing more quickly, but still not as rampant as you might think given all of the rhetoric from some politicians and media personalities

Clearly, gender affirming care for children seldom means surgery.

The number of diagnosed cases has obviously increased a lot, but according to the numbers most of those children are getting no medical intervention. Hopefully most are getting some form of therapy, though.

I understand why different people have different opinions on this subject, but I don't understand the need to exaggerate.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟871,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I honestly think those who come to this board and argue for castrating kids should be banned

This canard about kids suiciding because they can't get their breasts cut off has no evidence or merit. If parents try to trans their kids, and create an insane environment for their children, THAT will increase suicide chances.

there is no such thing as "gender-affirming care". That is like calling the deportation and killing of Jews "benevolent self-exodus"

people that argue for transing kids and mutilating them are morally bankrupt pederasts and lunatics
Frank Luntz would be so proud. So would Mike Godwin.

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟615,066.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Surgeries are rare. Puberty blockers and hormones are less rare and increasing more quickly, but still not as rampant as you might think given all of the rhetoric from some politicians and media personalities

Clearly, gender affirming care for children seldom means surgery.

The number of diagnosed cases has obviously increased a lot, but according to the numbers most of those children are getting no medical intervention. Hopefully most are getting some form of therapy, though.

I understand why different people have different opinions on this subject, but I don't understand the need to exaggerate.
The thing is, the idea is no one is supposed to say anything against it, much less stand in the way of it. So that it has plenty of room to grow. And if not for the opposition, it would probably be on a much larger scale already.

Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟305,465.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I honestly think those who come to this board and argue for castrating kids should be banned
What about those that use hyperbolic rhetoric?

This canard about kids suiciding because they can't get their breasts cut off has no evidence or merit. If parents try to trans their kids, and create an insane environment for their children, THAT will increase suicide chances.

there is no such thing as "gender-affirming care". That is like calling the deportation and killing of Jews "benevolent self-exodus"

people that argue for transing kids and mutilating them are morally bankrupt pederasts and lunatics

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟615,066.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What about those that use hyperbolic rhetoric?
Is it hyperbolic are realistic? What would you call the removal of a boy's genitals to make him into a girl? What's the PC euphemism for that?

Reactions: Merrill
Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟305,465.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Is it hyperbolic are realistic? What would you call the removal of a boy's genitals to make him into a girl? What's the PC euphemism for that?

It's hyperbole, inaccurate, and false claims about what has been advocated in this thread.

Castrating a boy turns him into a eunuch, not a girl.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ceallaigh

Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟615,066.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It's hyperbole, inaccurate, and false claims about what has been advocated in this thread.
The first line of the OP is ""One of the big issues that we have heard today and we've talked about lately is that without surgery the risk of suicide goes way up."

Just what kind of surgery do you think is being talked about?

Castrating a boy turns him into a eunuch, not a girl.
So how is a boy surgically turned into a girl without castration?

Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟305,465.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
The first line of the OP is ""One of the big issues that we have heard today and we've talked about lately is that without surgery the risk of suicide goes way up."

And I was talking about the claims made by posters in this thread, particularly regarding the claims made by the one I initially addressed about hyperbole.

Upvote 0

SimplyMe

Senior Veteran
Jul 19, 2003
the Great Basin
✟331,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

So how is a boy surgically turned into a girl without castration?

And I'd say that line is a false assessment about what is being claimed, other than maybe by a fringe group. Many who have gender dysphoria never want surgery, for whatever reasons. As is pointed out, many (if they can get treatment, which the laws appear to be trying to block) will realize they don't actually have gender dysphoria but, rather, some other type of mental health issue.

First, as keeps being pointed out and ignored, surgery on children is very rare. The youngest transsexual surgery ever, to this day, was of a 16 year old in Germany -- not the US -- and medical standards require them to be of legal age (at least 18, if not 21). Taking statements by some extremist and trying to paint it as the mainline position helps no one.

My biggest issue is that -- and both sides are guilty of it -- their arguments are reduced to straw-man arguments, particularly using comments that can be reduced to a sound bite. As others have pointed out, "gender affirming care" for a child does not include surgery, or at least, per the medical standards, it shouldn't.

Unfortunately, so long as this issue remains a political football it will only lead to more pain, suffering, and misunderstanding.

Reactions: john23237
Upvote 0

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟316,026.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
A recent comment by a Montana state lawmaker who sponsored legislation to ban gender-affirming medical care for transgender minors has gone viral and drawn backlash online.

"One of the big issues that we have heard today and we've talked about lately is that without surgery the risk of suicide goes way up. Well, I am one of those parents who lived with a daughter who was suicidal for three years," Seekins-Crowe said in her remarks in March. "Someone once asked me, 'Wouldn't I just do anything to help save her?' And I really had to think and the answer was, 'No.'"

Rep. Ted Lieu, D-Calif., lambasted the GOP state lawmaker on Twitter on Thursday for her remarks.

"I vehemently disagree with this speech by GOP state rep Kerri Seekins-Crowe. But you know what she didn’t say? That it should be the government’s role to make personal decisions for families. Why is she now shoving her private decision down other people’s throats?" he wrote.
Parents who put themselves before their kids are monsters.

Upvote 0