A Montana lawmaker suggested she’d rather risk her child’s suicide than let her transition

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,675.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
A recent comment by a Montana state lawmaker who sponsored legislation to ban gender-affirming medical care for transgender minors has gone viral and drawn backlash online.

"One of the big issues that we have heard today and we've talked about lately is that without surgery the risk of suicide goes way up. Well, I am one of those parents who lived with a daughter who was suicidal for three years," Seekins-Crowe said in her remarks in March. "Someone once asked me, 'Wouldn't I just do anything to help save her?' And I really had to think and the answer was, 'No.'"

Rep. Ted Lieu, D-Calif., lambasted the GOP state lawmaker on Twitter on Thursday for her remarks.

"I vehemently disagree with this speech by GOP state rep Kerri Seekins-Crowe. But you know what she didn’t say? That it should be the government’s role to make personal decisions for families. Why is she now shoving her private decision down other people’s throats?" he wrote.

Ceallaigh

May God be with you and bless you.
Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟608,427.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Children have to be surgically altered upon their request to save their lives.

What else shall be capitulated to under the threat of they'll kill themselves if we don't?

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,675.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Children have to be surgically altered upon their request to save their lives.
No, gender affirming care should be available (and not banned), so families can make these decisions with the advice of their doctors.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,675.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
It's astounding how children are now at the very forefront to a huge and increasing degree regarding LGBTQQIP2SAA+ issues.
No, the forefront is conservatives banning things that have only recently set them off.

• Agree
Reactions: Innsmuthbride
Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟608,427.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
No, the forefront is conservatives banning things that have only recently set them off.
That's because children have recently been brought to the very forefront to a huge and increasing degree regarding LGBTQQIP2SAA+ issues.

Especially the resent huge and increasing degree regarding children being surgically altered.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟608,427.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
No, gender affirming care should be available (and not banned), so families can make these decisions with the advice of their doctors.
Glossing.

"One of the big issues that we have heard today and we've talked about lately is that without surgery the risk of suicide goes way up"

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,675.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Glossing.

"One of the big issues that we have heard today and we've talked about lately is that without surgery the risk of suicide goes way up"
She's 'glossing'. She "sponsored legislation to ban gender-affirming medical care"

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟608,427.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
She's 'glossing'. She "sponsored legislation to ban gender-affirming medical care"
Using the word surgery was being transparent. Terms like gender-affirming medical care are euphemisms for surgical alteration.

Why oh why are these cold hearted prejudiced conservatives trying to ban something so innocuous sounding as gender-affirming medical care?

They are trying to ban the sudden huge demand of children to be surgically altered.

Let's stick with the demand of children to be surgically altered, instead of resorting to glossing and euphemizing.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,675.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Using the word surgery was being transparent. Terms like gender-affirming medical care are euphemisms for surgical alteration.
If that was her intent, then she could have written her law without recourse to your alleged euphemism. But she didn't. Because she intended to ban more than surgery.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ceallaigh

Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟608,427.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If that was her intent, then she could have written her law without recourse to your alleged euphemism. But she didn't. Because she intended to ban more than surgery.
I don't see anything in the article giving the details of "her law".

Kerri Seekins-Crowe said: "One of the big issues that we have heard today and we've talked about lately is that without surgery the risk of suicide goes way up."

Whereas Rebecca Shabad who wrote the article said: "A recent comment by a Montana state lawmaker who sponsored legislation to ban gender-affirming medical care for transgender minors has gone viral and drawn backlash online."

But I didn't come across anything said or written by Kerri Seekins-Crowe, that addressed any aspect transing children other than surgery. Therefore I have to conclude that Rebecca Shabad is calling the surgical alteration of children "gender-affirming medical care".

A large part of the whole transgender movement is changing the way things are said. Like instead of "mother" it's supposed to be "birthing person". Instead of "male" it's supposed to be "person who produces sperm" and on and on. And instead of saying "sex change surgery" it's "gender-affirming medical care"

Upvote 0

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟487,055.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
A recent comment by a Montana state lawmaker who sponsored legislation to ban gender-affirming medical care for transgender minors has gone viral and drawn backlash online.

"One of the big issues that we have heard today and we've talked about lately is that without surgery the risk of suicide goes way up. Well, I am one of those parents who lived with a daughter who was suicidal for three years," Seekins-Crowe said in her remarks in March. "Someone once asked me, 'Wouldn't I just do anything to help save her?' And I really had to think and the answer was, 'No.'"
This is what the pro-life party looks like in practice, I guess.

Upvote 0

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟487,055.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
It's astounding how children are now at the very forefront to a huge and increasing degree regarding LGBTQQIP2SAA+ issues.
Reality is a natural response to the GOP culture war pushing them forward for cheap political points.

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟608,427.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Reality is a natural response to the GOP culture war pushing them forward for cheap political points.
Really is my own observation. But I'm sure that's a good way to stay in denile, convincing oneself that it's all just GOP politics.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,675.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
But I didn't come across anything said or written by Kerri Seekins-Crowe, that addressed any aspect transing children other than surgery. Therefore I have to conclude that Rebecca Shabad is calling the surgical alteration of children "gender-affirming medical care".
Your conclusion, or assumption really, is wrong.
The bill does not only prohibit surgery, but also puberty blockers and "medical treatment". It also forbids state entities (e.g. schools) from "promot[ing] or advocat[ing] the use of social transitioning"

A large part of the whole antitransgender movement is changing the way things are said. Like saying "sex change surgery" when what is meant is "gender-affirming care of many types".

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Merrill

Mar 25, 2023
Chicago
✟56,468.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Rep. Ted Lieu, D-Calif., lambasted the GOP state lawmaker on Twitter on Thursday for her remarks.

"I vehemently disagree with this speech by GOP state rep Kerri Seekins-Crowe. But you know what she didn’t say? That it should be the government’s role to make personal decisions for families. Why is she now shoving her private decision down other people’s throats?" he wrote.
I honestly think those who come to this board and argue for castrating kids should be banned

This canard about kids suiciding because they can't get their breasts cut off has no evidence or merit. If parents try to trans their kids, and create an insane environment for their children, THAT will increase suicide chances.

there is no such thing as "gender-affirming care". That is like calling the deportation and killing of Jews "benevolent self-exodus"

people that argue for transing kids and mutilating them are morally bankrupt pederasts and lunatics

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟608,427.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Your conclusion, or assumption really, is wrong.
Neither. I related what was in the posted article that I saw.
The bill does not only prohibit surgery, but also puberty blockers and "medical treatment". It also forbids state entities (e.g. schools) from "promot[ing] or advocat[ing] the use of social transitioning"
Good.
A large part of the whole antitransgender movement is changing the way things are said. Like saying "sex change surgery" when what is meant is "gender-affirming care of many types".
That part is right. There's quite a lengthy list of replacement terms we are supposed to use. This isn't something that's been around for a long time, that people want banned. The LGBTQQIP2SAA+ movement has pushed its way into the structure of society with tremendous force and speed. And it's quite obvious the goal is to significantly change that structure. The it's a just poor helpless victim minority only seeking a little acceptance is hogwash progressives have been duped into believing. LGBTQQIP2SAA+ is taking advantage of them.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,675.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
people that argue for transing kids and mutilating them are morally bankrupt pederasts and lunatics
Those medical decisions should not be taken lightly (and they aren't) but I think families and doctors should be allowed access to them within the bounds of medical ethics.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,675.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Neither. I related what was in the posted article that I saw.
You concluded that the lawmaker was accurately relating the text of the bill and the journalist was changing words. In fact, the journalist accurately reported the content of the bill, and the politician was just politicking on the floor of the legislature.

Your conclusion was false.

• Informative
Reactions: KCfromNC
Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟608,427.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You concluded that the lawmaker was accurately relating the text of the bill and the journalist was changing words. In fact, the journalist accurately reported the content of the bill, and the politician was just politicking on the floor of the legislature.

Your conclusion was false.
Are you saying that sex change surgery for children is being called sex change surgery for children, rather than being euphemistically called "gender-affirming medical care"? Because that's the part I would be wrong about.

Upvote 0