A little worried about my mothers salvation. Help?

Neostarwcc

We are saved purely by the work and grace of God.
Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟921,420.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I'm worried about my mother's salvation. She's Catholic and believes in purgatory and that she will go through purgatory when she dies. She believes in Jesus but only just barely. She believes in his death,burial, and resurrection to a point and in his virgin birth. Which should mean that she's saved as that's what saves a person. But, she doesn't really rely on Christ for salvation she trusts in her own good works to save her and that God would accept her good works. She does many wonderful works. She believes in ghosts and that we will all just wander the Earth when we die. A clear contradiction of the Bible. The bible says that we don't wander the Earth we go to be with Jesus when we die. Ghosts don't exist they're demons trying to fool people into believing in a safe and comfortable afterlife.

Speaking of a bible, she also refuses to pick up one and actually read what it says yet she reads one regularly in her Catholic church. I know reading the bible doesn't save you But, it does teach you many of the things that are required for salvation and it is a great way to know that you are saved. So, that's about it. I don't know whether or not my mother is saved or not. Trusting in your own works is kind of a bad thing. If my mother would pick up a bible once in a while she would know that your works don't really save you. We don't become ghosts or go to purgatory when we die. None of that is in the bible. But, she refuses to pick one up and actually read one :eyeroll:

Dave G.

May 22, 2017
Sandiwich
✟324,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
This is very typical for those following the Catholic belief system. To them accepting Jesus' death burial and resurrection is the beginning of a salvation process that is on going. And most Catholics believe they will be in purgatory working some more for their salvation as well, that is my observation anyway.. For me it was a heavy guilt ridden weight to walk around with, been there done that all through the 1950's and well into the 80's.. And many are non practicing I might add, but yet won't give up the conviction. The veil seems never to have been torn in that religion and Jesus never said "it is finished". And I am not here to bash them, they believe what they believe. My heart goes out to both you and your mom.

Is she saved ? Depends where her heart is at with Jesus.

And incidentally, the Catholic view of your belief would be a hope that you might ever be saved ! They believe theirs is the only true Christian religion, which they call the true church.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JoeP222w

Nov 5, 2015
✟77,175.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
She's Catholic and believes in purgatory and that she will go through purgatory when she dies. She believes in Jesus but only just barely. She believes in his death,burial, and resurrection to a point and in his virgin birth. Which should mean that she's saved as that's what saves a person.

Not entirely true. Has she repented of her sins and has she been born again? If she believes in purgatory, she is not believing in the gospel of Jesus Christ. The Bible does not present any such concept of Roman Catholicism's Purgatory.

Speaking of a bible, she also refuses to pick up one and actually read what it says yet she reads one regularly in her Catholic church. I know reading the bible doesn't save you But, it does teach you many of the things that are required for salvation and it is a great way to know that you are saved

If she claims to love God with all of her heart, soul, mind and strength, and yet refuses to read that which He has written to us, that is a very clear indication that she does not love the Lord. If my wife wrote my 66 letters and I say that I love her, and yet refuse to read her letters, how is that displaying love?

You need to proclaim the gospel of Jesus Christ to her and ask God to save her in His sovereignty and trust that He will do what is right.

Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I'm worried about my mother's salvation. She's Catholic and believes in purgatory and that she will go through purgatory when she dies. She believes in Jesus but only just barely. She believes in his death,burial, and resurrection to a point and in his virgin birth. Which should mean that she's saved as that's what saves a person.

Well, hang on. The apostle James wrote that the demons believe there is a God and tremble but they are no friend of His and are not going to heaven at the End of Days. Not just any sort of belief will do. One must exert a saving faith in Christ, a faith that anticipates and desires change as a consequence of one's belief. Merely agreeing intellectually that the Gospel is true is not a saving faith. I don't, then, believe, given what you've described of your Mom, that she is, in fact, saved.

But, she doesn't really rely on Christ for salvation she trusts in her own good works to save her and that God would accept her good works. She does many wonderful works.

Here, too, your Mom reveals she doesn't understand - or truly believe - the Gospel. And if this is so, I don't see how she can be genuinely saved.

Speaking of a bible, she also refuses to pick up one and actually read what it says yet she reads one regularly in her Catholic church.

This is pretty typical of Catholics who are trained to believe that the only one who can properly interpret the Bible is their priest. They are encouraged to have all of their encounters with the Bible filtered through him.

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟921,420.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Not entirely true. Has she repented of her sins and has she been born again? If she believes in purgatory, she is not believing in the gospel of Jesus Christ. The Bible does not present any such concept of Roman Catholicism's Purgatory.

If she claims to love God with all of her heart, soul, mind and strength, and yet refuses to read that which He has written to us, that is a very clear indication that she does not love the Lord. If my wife wrote my 66 letters and I say that I love her, and yet refuse to read her letters, how is that displaying love?

You need to proclaim the gospel of Jesus Christ to her and ask God to save her in His sovereignty and trust that He will do what is right.

I agree its not very loving of my mom to not read Gods word. I also agree that purgatory has no biblical backing. Maybe one day I'll read the bible to her.

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟921,420.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Well, hang on. The apostle James wrote that the demons believe there is a God and tremble but they are no friend of His and are not going to heaven at the End of Days. Not just any sort of belief will do. One must exert a saving faith in Christ, a faith that anticipates and desires change as a consequence of one's belief. Merely agreeing intellectually that the Gospel is true is not a saving faith. I don't, then, believe, given what you've described of your Mom, that she is, in fact, saved.

Here, too, your Mom reveals she doesn't understand - or truly believe - the Gospel. And if this is so, I don't see how she can be genuinely saved.

This is pretty typical of Catholics who are trained to believe that the only one who can properly interpret the Bible is their priest. They are encouraged to have all of their encounters with the Bible filtered through him.

That's why I was kind of worried about her salvatio. She trusts in her own works to save her and I don't think that that's saving faith.

Upvote 0

discipler7

Oct 5, 2017
tog
✟42,302.00
Country
Heard Island And Mcdonald Islands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The apostle James wrote
James the Righteous who wrote the Book of James was not an apostle of Jesus Christ.
... James was a "step"-brother of Jesus and the bishop of the early Jerusalem Church, having usurped the position of Peter. Peter was the apostle to the Jews while Paul was the apostle(= replacing Judas Iscariot) to the Gentiles.

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟921,420.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

All4Christ

✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,021,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
It is not our place to judge the salvation of anyone. Continue to pray for her growth in God and for her salvation, just as you should do for everyone (not just Catholics). Pray for God to guide you, your mother and your family. Pray for Him to touch you all. However, know that God loves her very much, and that only He truly knows her heart. Prayer is always critical for us all though - so that is a good thing to do no matter the state of her relationship with God.

Reactions: JCFantasy23
Upvote 0

lastofall

Aug 6, 2016
Germany
✟31,097.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Holy Spirit of Truth speaking through Peter tells us that God is no respecter of person's, but that in every nation they that fears (reverences) Him, and works righteousness is accepted with Him.
The Lord knows the thoughts and intents of the heart, and not us. Though a particular religion may be contrary to sound doctrine, yet there is always a remnant in the midst that truly do fear God, and make the sincere effort to work righteousness.

Upvote 0