Douglas Hendrickson

Site Supporter
Sep 27, 2015
✟133,415.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
I also found it interesting how quickly you dismissed Jeremiah 1:5 out of hand as inapplicable.

Jeremiah 1:5 - Before I formed thee in the belly I knew thee; and before thou camest forth out of the womb I sanctified thee, and I ordained thee a prophet unto the nations.

I don't know about you Douglas, but it seems to me that the underlined part of the passage is quite clear. God sanctified Jeremiah the prophet while he was still in his mother's womb. Can you explain to me how God can sanctify a non-human?

First knowing by God happened before the womb (when there was none of him, as Job says of himself), and the sanctification may well have happened at the same time. "Before" birth is any time before, and if the "thee" had enough substance in the nature of things for God to know, then perhaps enough to sanctify also. Who knows how God sanctifies, what the mechanism(s) of that might be?
What ever knowing and sanctification may be when there exists nothing to know and nothing to sanctify. I think it is best understood as speaking of God's omniscience - knowing (and being set to insure) that there would be the prophet Jeremiah, and that he would be holy.
A certain kind of guarantee perhaps, but mostly referencing that God did know the future.

Oh, and the ordination, whatever that was, may also have happened at the same time.

Upvote 0

Douglas Hendrickson

Site Supporter
Sep 27, 2015
✟133,415.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Well whether you understand what sanctification means in this context or not doesn't change the fact that clearly it is something that actually happened to Jeremiah prior to his exiting his mothers womb.

So my question would be two-fold:

1. What do you think sanctified means in this context.

2. Working from your premise that there exists no human being prior to birth, how can a non-human be sanctified?

Why don't you tell me, since you seem to think there is so much to be known about it?

What do you think sanctification does or can do to a fetus (whether it is correctly called "a human" or not)? That actually changes it, that "actually happens to" to use your way of characterizing it.
Appears to me it would be something on the order of a guarantee from God that the prophet, a Holy Man of God, would come into being, including the ordaining.

btw, I apologize for not responding to your original post on this earlier - missed any notification there might have been.

Upvote 0

DrBubbaLove

Roman Catholic convert from Southern Baptist
Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2004
Left coast
✟77,600.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Why don't you tell me, since you seem to think there is so much to be known about it?

What do you think sanctification does or can do to a fetus (whether it is correctly called "a human" or not)? That actually changes it, that "actually happens to" to use your way of characterizing it.
Appears to me it would be something on the order of a guarantee from God that the prophet, a Holy Man of God, would come into being, including the ordaining.

btw, I apologize for not responding to your original post on this earlier - missed any notification there might have been.
Sanctification is traditionally thought of as a concept that only happens to or is applied to a person, as in a Grace that has been applied. It is an indication of current status of someone with God, "someone" being understood as a person.

It rather goes without saying that someone who thinks there is no womb in the womb for either God or a person would be confused on the concept of what sanctification means and need to change the understanding of the word translated "sanctification" in Scripture as not depicting an actual event but rather predicting something about the future.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Douglas Hendrickson

Site Supporter
Sep 27, 2015
✟133,415.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Sanctification is traditionally thought of as a concept that only happens to or is applied to a person, as in a Grace that has been applied. It is an indication of current status of someone with God, "someone" being understood as a person.

It rather goes without saying that someone who thinks there is no womb in the womb for either God or a person would be confused on the concept of what sanctification means and need to change the understanding of the word translated "sanctification" in Scripture as not depicting an actual event but rather predicting something about the future.

Being sanctified (holy) is something that can "happen to" (be effected in) a real person, an actual prophet. In accord with your first paragraph, actually.
I don't think there's much prophesying in any womb. EVER!

In what sense could even a real baby ever be sanctified?
edit: "Washed by the blood" in infant baptism?

Presumably it would be from the first point of it "being done" (happening), and would be pronounced in its effect upon the individual? Affecting what it does, its actions.

If it could possibly happen to a fetus, how do you suppose the "kicking" would be different than in some unholy occupant of the womb?
What would be different - what would the sanctification be?

Upvote 0

DrBubbaLove

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2004
Left coast
✟77,600.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Being sanctified (holy) is something that can "happen to" (be effected in) a real person, an actual prophet. In accord with your first paragraph, actually.
I don't think there's much prophesying in any womb. EVER!

In what sense could even a real baby ever be sanctified?
Presumably it would be from the first point of it "being done" (happening), and would be pronounced in its effect upon the individual? Affecting what it does, its actions.

If it could possibly happen to a fetus, how do you suppose the "kicking" would be different than in some unholy occupant of the womb?
What would be different - what would the sanctification be?
Obviously someone thinking God cannot enter a womb or room produced by mankind would not believe the Spirit could move there. Most of us see God more powerful than that.

In what sense sanctified? The same sense the Bible says people already born and Jeremiah not yet born are all said to have been sanctified. The same sense Saint John the Baptizer is said to have the Holy Spirit move/act on him as a person in the womb. The location of those persons when they were sanctified or "acted on" by God most Christians, now and ever, have not seen as an impediment to God. God is Omnipresent after all and the Holy Spirit is God, as in not a part of God (again for most of us did not mean you). Not being seen as a barrier to God, the womb would be a place the Holy Ghost could work in, just as God could work in any room/space. The theory that the womb is like a kryptonite to God am unfamiliar with.

Sanctification by God was pronounced on an individual, Jeremiah before he was born and the same Spirit moved Saint John the Baptizer before he was born (that means in a womb which is obviously not a barrier to God). Which means in those cases just what the Bible says, sanctification and movement of the Holy Ghost (=God=Holy Spirit for most of us) happened to those people before birth.

Unholy occupant?
Well am sure maybe some people (again not most Christians) could imagine Elizabeth's child possessed by a demon in her womb. However, that thought does not fit with the whole Biblical story of the human being, the person we call the Baptizer - which started with a story about what happened to that person while he was still in the womb. So am unclear why a Christian would even bring up demon possession as a possible explanation of Saint John jumping for joy while he was in the womb. The interesting thing about demon possession is that it too requires an individual present to be possessed, to have control of that body taken from/by the demon. That evil spirit needs a person present to possess, just as the Holy Spirit has a person present in the womb to move/act on.

So again, I cannot imagine why a Christian or preacher/teacher of Christians would want to suggest maybe Saint John the Baptizer was possessed by a demon in the womb to explain why he kicked when he did. I would agree a demon might obviously be upset to hear that news about Jesus, but it would be hard then to understand why the Bible would call/equate that reaction of a demon as jumping for joy. Demons depicted possessing people in the Bible did not seem particularly happy when Jesus came near them.

Interesting suggestion. So is the idea God cannot act in a womb on a person but demons can do so? Are demons understood as more powerful than God or is it that this idea of a womb which is like a kryptonite barrier for God not harmful to demons?

Upvote 0

DrBubbaLove

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2004
Left coast
✟77,600.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That Holy Ghost work in the womb you claim - it's nothing real is it?
If it is real, tell us what it is. What kind of work? WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN SANCTIFIED FETAL FLESH AND UNSANCTIFIED FETAL FLESH?
Well I would suppose that if there is a self described Christian teacher/preacher who does not believe in the Trinity Doctrine, apparently thinks God has limits to where He can operate (but apparently demons do not), does not believe the Holy Spirit is God (not a person just a part of what God is) and imagines a fetus can be viewed as an unwanted "life" like a tumor, a parasitic growth, gangrenous arm or cancer but NEVER a person until born; - then I could agree that in such a low view of an individual human life there would indeed be imagined "nothing" present for the Holy Ghost to work with that such a preacher could talk about. Not so with most of the rest of Christianity undeceived by the teachings of such leaders.

Most of CF Christian members understood my comments without explanation, (except those normally restricted to Controversial Theology to present the fallout of such an erroneous and low opinions of God). For they all know that there is a person present there in the womb of Elizabeth and of Jeremiah's mother, a person the Holy Ghost, Who is God, can work with. They either know or would not be surprised to learn that has been the consistent view of Christianity from the beginning. Even though the body is incomplete, a major subset of those Christians understand that person is present from conception because that is when God creates our souls, just as they believe the Holy Spirit is God and God can work where He pleases without imagining places He cannot go/operate.

To those Christians reading this thread my comments need no explanation because they actually believe in the Trinity Doctrine, a God without limits and for a large subset of same group they understand (or would if told about it) as Aristotle did a need for all animated life to have a spirit from conception. Needed in order for that body the spirit is created to be joined to, to be shaped into the body of the unique individual that will exit the womb (or egg for some animals). Exiting as both the same spirit created at conception and still joined to the same body that began growing at that moment, only diff now is that same body is more fully formed and the same spirit of that individual has more material to work with, including a mind/brain in higher animals.

Those same Christians know that in humans that spirit, as it does in animals, is also an integral part of what makes each of us a unique individual from any other of our species. They know [or would accept] that uniqueness of each individual can in large part only arise by an influence of that same spirit long before the individual leaves the womb. So twins need two unique spirits present for example. Those same Christians know that same spirit of each human individual transcends death, even death in a womb, even immediately after conception. They know that transcendence of the existence of that soul beyond the life of our current body is the only thing about us which makes an afterlife and God's resurrection of all humans possible. We give those unique individuals their own identity. That identity is what most of us we mean by calling what is formed at conception and throughout the life of that individual how ever long or short, a unique person.

And with the exceptions already noted, most Christians reading this thread actually believe that the concept of an unique individual called a person, is exactly the same idea used to describe the un-created Three Persons of the Holy Trinity. If someone active in this thread wants to discuss the idea that those Three Persons are not really persons as at all, that Persons is just a label for a part of or element of God, then we can go to the proper place in CF to discuss that.

If someone wants to talk about what appears to me to be a view most confused about whether there is even an immaterial aspect of our existence that is woven together with the formation of our body. Unclear how we get to a trichomoty (body, soul and spirit) when the idea expressed seems clearly that "self" is a product of the mind/body, which might not be absent then in coma patience especially if determined "brain dead". So there appears nothing solidly believed beyond some abstract thought in the mind of "self". Abstract thoughts, thinking itself is immaterial, but that is not what most Christians of when describing an immaterial soul (or spirit or both if they are talking a trichotomy). This "thinking" expression of "self" seems just a combo of thoughts in self reflection - and seems to exclude a real concept of something immaterial with an actual "existence" that God makes and gives to each of us when we are formed. We could discuss that here I guess. But since thinking is obviously present in the womb before birth that fact kind of blows the whole "no Jeremiah or Baptizer present until the parasitic growth is breathing on its own" thing out of the water, certainly at six months and later.

So even if someone holds no concept of a soul (or spirit or both) that actually is a real immaterial part of our existence, as in actually exists as a created immaterial (in this context part of the spiritual realm like angels are real) part of our being, am not sure how it helps the case of claiming no person until breathing if that "no concept" attempts to put that whole idea of spirit (soul or both) on a function of our minds that obviously would cease when the brain dies. How such a Pastor believing this could rationally convince people of an afterlife or a resurrection escapes me, but in my experience some folks will buy all sorts of ideas. Difficult too to see how to deny thinking/learning obviously present in the womb, including discovery of "self".

Last edited:
Upvote 0