Roman57

May 26, 2005
Ann Arbor
✟29,755.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Of course, people who watch "The haunting of Molly Hartley" might not admit they have satanic tendencies, but they probably do. Thats why they enjoy the movie. The reason they don't admit it is because they were dissensitized by modern culture. I am sure that devoted Christians would probably agree with me on this one.

Now, here is an interesting part. How about approaching a Calvinist and asking them why its the case? Why is it that their doctrine of predestination happens to be something satanists would love to get off on? Just ask that question and have them sit on it. See what they will say :)

Jipsah

Blood Drinker
Aug 17, 2005
Franklin, Tennessee
✟221,546.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
First I'd ever heard of it.

I read this: Frank Scheck for The Hollywood Reporter called the film "a teen-oriented horror opus that wouldn't pass muster on the CW network."[6] Keith Phipps for The A.V. Club gave the film a D+ and said "It's a horror film better suited for skittish cats than humans."

Not at all sure why you think it would appeal to Calvinists. For my part I reckon I'll give it a miss.

Upvote 0

ladodgers6

Know what you believe and why you believe it
Site Supporter
Oct 6, 2015
Los Angeles
✟192,004.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Of course, people who watch "The haunting of Molly Hartley" might not admit they have satanic tendencies, but they probably do. Thats why they enjoy the movie. The reason they don't admit it is because they were dissensitized by modern culture. I am sure that devoted Christians would probably agree with me on this one.

Now, here is an interesting part. How about approaching a Calvinist and asking them why its the case? Why is it that their doctrine of predestination happens to be something satanists would love to get off on? Just ask that question and have them sit on it. See what they will say :)
These comments misrepresent the Doctrine. Here's why, Deism which a lot of people hold to, believe that the universe and everything in it runs on randomness & in a chaotic direction, where we have full control??? That our free-will is the core of which saves us from this randomness and chaos??? God is only allowed to help, if we let him??? He's like a genie in a bottle, knowing his proper place, and only comes out when we let him???​

Upvote 0

Roman57

May 26, 2005
Ann Arbor
✟29,755.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
First I'd ever heard of it.

I read this: Frank Scheck for The Hollywood Reporter called the film "a teen-oriented horror opus that wouldn't pass muster on the CW network."[6] Keith Phipps for The A.V. Club gave the film a D+ and said "It's a horror film better suited for skittish cats than humans."

Not at all sure why you think it would appeal to Calvinists. For my part I reckon I'll give it a miss.

Did you actually read about the storyline, or did you only read about its quality? If you haven't read the storyline, then its no wonder you don't know why I said what I did.

Now, the storyline is that girl's parents saved the girl from dying before birth by making the deal with the devil that they have her up until she is 18, but from 18 onward she will serve the devil. So, when she was 17, they were trying to kill her to prevent her from serving the devil. And, later on, she tried starting to find ways away from the devil herself. All in vain. When she turned 18, the devil's servants (who used to be her friends) came to her birthday and told her that now she is theirs. Since it was few minutes before she turned 18, she tried to resist them. But then, after she turned 18, she said she "moved on".

Given that storyline, the reason I want to show it to Calvinists is that it is all about predestination, which is what Calvinism is about. Now, I agree with you Calivinists won't like that movie. Well, them not liking it would be a way to make a point and make them contemplate that maybe their doctrine is faulty too.

• Love
Reactions: Jesus is YHWH
Upvote 0

ladodgers6

Site Supporter
Oct 6, 2015
Los Angeles
✟192,004.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Did you actually read about the storyline, or did you only read about its quality? If you haven't read the storyline, then its no wonder you don't know why I said what I did.

Now, the storyline is that girl's parents saved the girl from dying before birth by making the deal with the devil that they have her up until she is 18, but from 18 onward she will serve the devil. So, when she was 17, they were trying to kill her to prevent her from serving the devil. And, later on, she tried starting to find ways away from the devil herself. All in vain. When she turned 18, the devil's servants (who used to be her friends) came to her birthday and told her that now she is theirs. Since it was few minutes before she turned 18, she tried to resist them. But then, after she turned 18, she said she "moved on".

Given that storyline, the reason I want to show it to Calvinists is that it is all about predestination, which is what Calvinism is about. Now, I agree with you Calivinists won't like that movie. Well, them not liking it would be a way to make a point and make them contemplate that maybe their doctrine is faulty too.
Are you well verse in Scripture?

Upvote 0

Roman57

May 26, 2005
Ann Arbor
✟29,755.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Are you well verse in Scripture?

That depends on what you mean by well versed. People tend to quote some verses a lot more than others. So the ones that are quoted a lot, I recognize quite easily. The ones that are quoted less often, sometimes I learn something new when they are quoted.

Thats not to say I didn't read the Bible on my own, cause I did. In fact I have my own verses that I noticed while studying the Bible that people don't seem to quote much. I am just saying I haven't read the whole Bible, I only read parts of it. Yet at the same time its not accurate to say I read "few parts". Cross out the word few cause I read a lot of the Bible. And yes I mean a lot, yet not all.

So yeah, its hard to say whether I am well versed since I am not sure whom to compare myself to. But I would say well versed enough for you (and others) to quote it as we talk. And then I can look things up along the way: the google is always here.

Upvote 0

ladodgers6

Site Supporter
Oct 6, 2015
Los Angeles
✟192,004.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
That depends on what you mean by well versed. People tend to quote some verses a lot more than others. So the ones that are quoted a lot, I recognize quite easily. The ones that are quoted less often, sometimes I learn something new when they are quoted.

Thats not to say I didn't read the Bible on my own, cause I did. In fact I have my own verses that I noticed while studying the Bible that people don't seem to quote much. I am just saying I haven't read the whole Bible, I only read parts of it. Yet at the same time its not accurate to say I read "few parts". Cross out the word few cause I read a lot of the Bible. And yes I mean a lot, yet not all.

So yeah, its hard to say whether I am well versed since I am not sure whom to compare myself to. But I would say well versed enough for you (and others) to quote it as we talk. And then I can look things up along the way: the google is always here.
I on the other hand, rest on Scripture. For it is God's word. My inquiry was not a trick question, just wanted to know if you are knowledgeable in God's word, and if you think you well versed enough for me, good, though you do not know me, which is fine. I do admit that I am the dumbest Christian in Christendom. So, I ask you to refute Calvinism with Scripture, BTW, fun fact, John Calvin disliked the nickname Calvinism, he preferred Doctrines of Grace.

So, please by all means explain what Calvinism teaches, then refute it with Scripture. I know this is a tall task, you can go topic by topic, instead of trying to do it in one post if you wish.​

Upvote 0

Jesus is YHWH

my Lord and my God !
Site Supporter
Dec 15, 2011
✟389,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Good analogy

Upvote 0

Roman57

May 26, 2005
Ann Arbor
✟29,755.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I on the other hand, rest on Scripture. For it is God's word. My inquiry was not a trick question, just wanted to know if you are knowledgeable in God's word, and if you think you well versed enough for me, good, though you do not know me, which is fine. I do admit that I am the dumbest Christian in Christendom. So, I ask you to refute Calvinism with Scripture,​

Well, there are multiple verses on both sides so I guess we can both add them as we go. But, for starters, consider 2 Peter 3:9. Calvinism teaches that the people that are going to hell were actually predestined for hell. Yet that verse teaches God desires nobody perish which contradicts the fact that he predestined them to hell.

Now, we both know that most people "do" end up perishing. But what that means is that they perish contrary to God's desire due to their own free will choice. This doesn't mean that God is not all powerful. What it means is God has two desires: one is nobody perishes, the other is to allow people to have free will. So God's desire for free will outweigh His desire that nobody perishes. So, even though he desires nobody perish, He honors their free will choice and allows them to perish.

Also there are a lot of Old Testament examples when God actually changed his mind in response to people's behavior. For example:

1) Before Noah's flood, God "regretted" creating those people (Genesis 6:6)

2) In case of Golden Calf, God actually wanted to destroy all Israelites (Genesis 32:10). Moses plead with Him and stopped Him from doing it (Genesis 32:14)

3) In case of Ninevah, God wanted to kill them all, yet because they repented on the preaching of Johan, He changed His mind

4) In Isaiah 1:18, God calls all people, not just predestined ones

And then also the New Testament example

5) In the parable of the great banguet Luke 14:15-24, God called people to feast and they were making excuses, He got mad at them and called people from highways instead

6) We are told to "endure to the end" which again implies that it is our choice as opposed to God's predestination that ultimately determines our salvation

7) In John 8:36 Jesus tells Jews that they have a chance to be free, yet in John 8:44 He tells those very same people they are children of the devil. This implies that even though they were children of the devil at the moment, they weren't predestined to stay that way. They had an opportunity to change whom they are children of (John 8:36) and they "chose" to remain the children of the devil

BTW, fun fact, John Calvin disliked the nickname Calvinism, he preferred Doctrines of Grace.​

I don't see it this way. When I think of grace, I think of the fact that God saves by faith rather than works. But faith can still be a choice. So I don't see how this implies calvinism. In fact faith vs works and free will vs predestination are two separate parameters and I can come up with any four logical combination of them:

1) Grace+predestination: People are saved by faith alone but they are predestined to either have faith or not

2) Grace+free will: People are saved by faith alone, and they make free will decision whether or not to have faith

3) Works+predestination: people are saved by works, and they are predestined either to do those works or not

4) Works+free will: people are saved by works, and they can make free will decision to do good works or not

Calvin's belief is 1, my belief is 2. So we both believe in grace.

So, please by all means explain what Calvinism teaches, then refute it with Scripture.​

Calvinism teaches TULIP. Because of T (total depravity) people can't possibly want to choose to serve God out of their own free will, so God has to basically force them to serve Him (through "irresistable grace") and this implies that the ones that God chose can't possibly choose not to serve Him since He is all powerful.

The scriptures that refute that doctrine are the ones presented above. If God was into "forcing people to believe" and He "desires that nobody perishes", He would have forced everyone to believe, not just some.

The other issue is L (limitted atonement). 1 Tim 2:6 teaches that Jesus' death was a ransom for the entire world.

• Love
Reactions: Jesus is YHWH
Upvote 0

ladodgers6

Site Supporter
Oct 6, 2015
Los Angeles
✟192,004.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Well, there are multiple verses on both sides so I guess we can both add them as we go. But, for starters, consider 2 Peter 3:9. Calvinism teaches that the people that are going to hell were actually predestined for hell. Yet that verse teaches God desires nobody perish which contradicts the fact that he predestined them to hell.
For clarity, your view on the Fall & Sin.
Now, we both know that most people "do" end up perishing. But what that means is that they perish contrary to God's desire due to their own free will choice. This doesn't mean that God is not all powerful. What it means is God has two desires: one is nobody perishes, the other is to allow people to have free will. So God's desire for free will outweigh His desire that nobody perishes. So, even though he desires nobody perish, He honors their free will choice and allows them to perish.
Here's where I have a problem, and I hope you can shred some light. So, your view on being regenerated prior to faith, or do you believe in Prevenient Grace given to everyone? I ask these questions because I do not want to assume what you are saying. It seems though already I get the feeling that you do not believe that mankind has fallen into sin, and is in bondage to sin, correct?​
Also there are a lot of Old Testament examples when God actually changed his mind in response to people's behavior. For example:

2) In case of Golden Calf, God actually wanted to destroy all Israelites (Genesis 32:10). Moses plead with Him and stopped Him from doing it (Genesis 32:14)

3) In case of Ninevah, God wanted to kill them all, yet because they repented on the preaching of Johan, He changed His mind

5) In the parable of the great banguet Luke 14:15-24, God called people to feast and they were making excuses, He got mad at them and called people from highways instead

6) We are told to "endure to the end" which again implies that it is our choice as opposed to God's predestination that ultimately determines our salvation

7) In John 8:36 Jesus tells Jews that they have a chance to be free, yet in John 8:44 He tells those very same people they are children of the devil. This implies that even though they were children of the devil at the moment, they weren't predestined to stay that way. They had an opportunity to change whom they are children of (John 8:36) and they "chose" to remain the children of the devil
Isn't (7) a little conjecture? You assume they are only for that moment, where in Scripture does it say this? Reading it into the text is not proper hermeneutics, would you agree?
I don't see it this way. When I think of grace, I think of the fact that God saves by faith rather than works. But faith can still be a choice. So I don't see how this implies calvinism. In fact faith vs works and free will vs predestination are two separate parameters and I can come up with any four logical combination of them:

1) Grace+predestination: People are saved by faith alone but they are predestined to either have faith or not

2) Grace+free will: People are saved by faith alone, and they make free will decision whether or not to have faith

3) Works+predestination: people are saved by works, and they are predestined either to do those works or not

4) Works+free will: people are saved by works, and they can make free will decision to do good works or not

Fun fact, Calvinism disliked the nickname Calvinism. His antagonists of his day coined that nickname, he prefers Doctrines of Grace. Well as far as Faith goes in the Reformed Faith we believe what Scripture teaches, that Faith is a gift, it's God given.
Calvinism teaches TULIP. Because of T (total depravity) people can't possibly want to choose to serve God out of their own free will, so God has to basically force them to serve Him (through "irresistable grace") and this implies that the ones that God chose can't possibly choose not to serve Him since He is all powerful.
This is common consensus that caricatures Calvinism. Please, by all means provide one reference to support your claim here. In Calvinism we believe that still the fall of Adam, sin has affect man's total faculties from head to toe, especially his heart. It's not like only one part is broken and through physical therapy can be healed. The umbrella virus is spread throughout the entire body!

The Bible teaches the total depravity of the human race. Total depravity means radical corruption. We must be careful to note the difference between total depravity and "utter" depravity. To be utterly depraved is to be as wicked as one could possibly be. Hitler was extremely depraved, but he could have been worse than he was. I am sinner. Yet I could sin more often and more severely than I actually do. I am not utterly depraved, but I am totally depraved. For total depravity means that I and everyone else are
depraved or corrupt in the totality of our being. There is no part of us that is left untouched by sin. Our minds, our wills, and our bodies are affected by evil. We speak sinful words, do sinful deeds, have impure thoughts. Our very bodies suffer from the ravages of sin.

Perhaps "radical corruption" is a better term to describe our fallen condition than "total depravity." I am using the word "radical" not so much to mean "extreme," but to lean more heavily on its original meaning. "Radical" comes from the Latin word for "root" or "core." Our problem with sin is that it is rooted in the core of our being. It permeates our hearts. It is because sin is at our core and not merely at the exterior of our lives that the Bible says: "There is none righteous, no not one; there is none who understands; there is none who seeks after God. They have all turned aside; they have together become unprofitable; there is none who does good, no, not one." Romans 3:10-12

It is because of this condition that the verdict of Scripture is heard: we are "dead in trespasses and sins" (Ephesians 2:1); we are "sold under sin" (Romans 7:14); we are in "captivity to the law of sin" (Romans 7:23); and "by nature children of wrath (Ephesians 2:3). Only by the quickening power of the Holy Spirit may we be brought out of this state of spiritual death. It is God who makes us alive as we become His craftsmanship (Ephesians 2:1-10).​

The scriptures that refute that doctrine are the ones presented above. If God was into "forcing people to believe" and He "desires that nobody perishes", He would have forced everyone to believe, not just some.

The other issue is L (limitted atonement). 1 Tim 2:6 teaches that Jesus' death was a ransom for the entire world.​
Well, again your view is in error. I have been a Classical Calvinist for decades now. And I am saying you got it wrong. In the Reformed Faith God doesn't drags people kicking and screaming against their wills. God frees us in Christ from bondage to sin. There's a huge difference! I notice by what you say then, ultimately it's up to the person to accept or reject, correct? How does one come to this place to cast a ballot for their lives? Do they have full illumination of each path they will choose? If everyone is illuminated with this same knowledge to understand what's at stake, why would anyone choose to reject? Knowing truly what would happen to them?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Jipsah

Blood Drinker
Aug 17, 2005
Franklin, Tennessee
✟221,546.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Did you actually read about the storyline
Yeah, standard horror movie crapola.

Now, the storyline is that girl's parents saved the girl from dying before birth by making the deal with the devil that they have her up until she is 18, but from 18 onward she will serve the devil.
Yeah, as i said, standard Holywood swill.

Given that storyline, the reason I want to show it to Calvinists is that it is all about predestination, which is what Calvinism is about.
Serves more to illustrate that you know little or nothing of Calvinism, but that's hardly rare.

Now, I agree with you Calivinists won't like that movie.
I don't think much of anyone with a functioning brain would like it.

Upvote 0

Roman57

May 26, 2005
Ann Arbor
✟29,755.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It seems though already I get the feeling that you do not believe that mankind has fallen into sin, and is in bondage to sin, correct?

That is probably the greatest misunderstanding on your part right there. I never denied that mankind has fallen into sin, and I don't think any other Christian had denied it either. Now, Jews do deny the original sin, but that is a different story. As far as Christians go, I don't think any Christians ever denied it, whether Calvinist or Arminians.

The part where I am talking about free will, is that we make free will decision to put our faith in Jesus or not, and our salvation is based on this decision. Now the question is: why is our salvation based on this decision? Jesus is a sin sacrifice and we won't need a sacrifice if there was no sin. So that means that I do acknowledge that we fallen into sin, since I say we need Jesus.

All I am saying is that falling into sin doesn't deprive us of free will. In the context of sin, we can make a free will choice: either accept the free gift of Jesus's blood that would cover our sins, or not. That choice is free, yes.

As far as whether the grace comes into picture, I would say it comes at least twice. First, it comes in the fact that people were offered an option of accepting Jesus' blood on the first place. And, secondly, the people that do accept it would, by grace, get their sins covered.

By the way, now that I am talking about sacrifices, another verse comes to mind. In Genesis 4:7 God says to Cain "if you do well, would you not be accepted?" So this verse tells us that Cain had free will, despite the fact that he ended up making bad choices. Now, a Calvinist reading of this verse would be something like "the word if is hypothetic, but in actuality God already knows what he would do". But that contradicts the context. Because the purpoes of that verse is to tell Cain "don't be mad at God". But if in actuality God already predetermined what he would do, then he would have every reason to be mad at God, would he not?

I think part of the confusion is the fact that Christians think in terms of dichotomies, such as the yes or no questions you were asking me. For example, one of the arguments in favor of Calvinism is the verse "nobody can come to me unless the father draws him" (John 6:44). But one thing that they seem to miss is the possibility that God's choice to draw somebody or not can be a response to "their" choice. Kind of like "strong delusion" in 2 Thess 2:11 is a resposne to people's choice not to believe the truth.

Now, the way Calvinists would counter my line of thought is they would say "how can somebody possibly seek God without Jesus; so they never had an opportunity to earn God's desire to draw them to Jesus".

Well, I can counter this argument by saying that John 14:6 says people can't be *saved* without Jesus, but it doesn't say they can't seek God without Jesus. Because there are different levels of seeking God, and not all of them would save you. As far as the level of seeking God that would lead to salvation, thats true, it can only be done through Jesus. But as far as the level of seeking God that is not saving (as of yet) but still sufficient for God to acknowledge it, enough so as to lead you to Jesus, maybe that is something that "can" be done without Jesus.

So maybe it is something like this. First, a person seeks God the Father. In response to that, God the Father draws the person to Jesus, in response to that, the person has access to fuller relationship with God the father (through John 14:6) and that fuller relationship is what saves the person. In other words, think of a verse "seek and you shall find" (Matt 7:7), but re-phrase it as "if God sees you seeking, He will help you find". You seek God the Father. So God the Father points you to the way to obtain what you seek. That way happens to be Jesus (per John 14:6) thats why God draws you to Jesus (John 6:44).

Now your objection to this is probably a statement that people can't seek God due to total depravity. But even you said in your response that there is a difference between total depravity and utter depravity, and you used Hitler as an example. So maybe not being "utterly depraved" is what allows people to seek God, albeit not in the form of saving faith, which would in turn enable God to draw them to Jesus.

Your objection to this might be a verse that "nobody seeks God" (Romans 3:11). But again, there are different levels of seeking God so sometimes it talks about one level other times another level. Kind of like in Luke 1:6 it says "both of them were righteous in sight of God". What? I thought nobody is righteous? So nobody is righteous in one level, yet apparently some people are righteous in a different level. Thats why I am saying that part of the confusion is caused by assuming dichotomies. Now, its true that "some" things do have dichotomies: we either go to heaven or hell, there is no purgatory. But then there are other things that don't.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ladodgers6

Site Supporter
Oct 6, 2015
Los Angeles
✟192,004.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
It seems though already I get the feeling that you do not believe that mankind has fallen into sin, and is in bondage to sin, correct?
That is probably the greatest misunderstanding on your part right there. I never denied that mankind has fallen into sin, and I don't think any other Christian had denied it either. Now, Jews do deny the original sin, but that is a different story. As far as Christians go, I don't think any Christians ever denied it, whether Calvinist or Arminians.
Roman, I said I get the feeling, and ask if this is correct. I didn't say this WAS your position. The reason I said I get the feeling is because you said you don't believe people are forced into believing because they do have a free-will, do I have this correct? I have encountered plenty who deny original sin, depending on what one means by original sin, right? So for clarity what is original sin?​
The part where I am talking about free will, is that we make free will decision to put our faith in Jesus or not, and our salvation is based on this decision. Now the question is: why is our salvation based on this decision? Jesus is a sin sacrifice and we won't need a sacrifice if there was no sin. So that means that I do acknowledge that we fallen into sin, since I say we need Jesus.
So, I will ask again. In your view does sin affect the human will at all? Because again I am getting the feeling that sinners possess the human faculty apart Grace to make a decision, correct? I say this because you make no mention about Grace. Only free-will as the sole basis of the individual's salvation, do I have this right? I am trying to understand your position. How does a sinner come to faith in your view?​
All I am saying is that falling into sin doesn't deprive us of free will. In the context of sin, we can make a free will choice: either accept the free gift of Jesus's blood that would cover our sins, or not. That choice is free, yes.
So what is sin in your view? No Grace is needed in your view because sin doesn't deprive sinner of a free-will, do I have this right?
As far as whether the grace comes into picture, I would say it comes at least twice. First, it comes in the fact that people were offered an option of accepting Jesus' blood on the first place. And, secondly, the people that do accept it would, by grace, get their sins covered.
But Grace is not needed to illuminate their minds or hearts to understand and believe, right? How do deal with this passage: 1 Cor. 2:14 The natural person does not accept the things of the Spirit of God, for they are folly to him, and he is not able to understand them because they are spiritually discerned. Or this passage: John 8:47 Whoever is of God hears the words of God. The reason why you do not hear them is that you are not of God.”​

By the way, now that I am talking about sacrifices, another verse comes to mind. In Genesis 4:7 God says to Cain "if you do well, would you not be accepted?" So this verse tells us that Cain had free will, despite the fact that he ended up making bad choices. Now, a Calvinist reading of this verse would be something like "the word if is hypothetic, but in actuality God already knows what he would do". But that contradicts the context. Because the purpoes of that verse is to tell Cain "don't be mad at God". But if in actuality God already predetermined what he would do, then he would have every reason to be mad at God, would he not?​
The question should be why was Abel's offering accepted, while Cain's was rejected. Answer: Hebrews 11:4 By faith Abel offered to God a more acceptable sacrifice than Cain, through which he was commended as righteous, God commending him by accepting his gifts. And through his faith, though he died, he still speaks.​
I think part of the confusion is the fact that Christians think in terms of dichotomies, such as the yes or no questions you were asking me. For example, one of the arguments in favor of Calvinism is the verse "nobody can come to me unless the father draws him" (John 6:44). But one thing that they seem to miss is the possibility that God's choice to draw somebody or not can be a response to "their" choice. Kind of like "strong delusion" in 2 Thess 2:11 is a resposne to people's choice not to believe the truth.
Again I will ask you, What is the gravity of sin in your view. It is time-out; an example not to follow; is it not serious enough to separate humanity from God. Does it permeated to the core of fallen humanity arousing God's anger and wrath. What is it in your view?
Now, the way Calvinists would counter my line of thought is they would say "how can somebody possibly seek God without Jesus; so they never had an opportunity to earn God's desire to draw them to Jesus".
First of all why would anybody need or want Jesus?
Well, I can counter this argument by saying that John 14:6 says people can't be *saved* without Jesus, but it doesn't say they can't seek God without Jesus. Because there are different levels of seeking God, and not all of them would save you. As far as the level of seeking God that would lead to salvation, thats true, it can only be done through Jesus. But as far as the level of seeking God that is not saving (as of yet) but still sufficient for God to acknowledge it, enough so as to lead you to Jesus, maybe that is something that "can" be done without Jesus.
Why does God need to lead to Jesus, if you have a free-will?
So maybe it is something like this. First, a person seeks God the Father. In response to that, God the Father draws the person to Jesus, in response to that, the person has access to fuller relationship with God the father (through John 14:6) and that fuller relationship is what saves the person. In other words, think of a verse "seek and you shall find", but re-phrase it as "if God sees you seeking, He will help you find". You seek God the Father. So God the Father points you to the way to obtain what you seek. That way happens to be Jesus (per John 14:6) thats why God draws you to Jesus (John 6:44).
Why would anyone want to seek God?

Now your objection to this is probably a statement that people can't seek Jesus due to total depravity. But even you said in your response that there is a difference between total depravity and utter depravity, and you used Hitler as an example. So maybe not being "utterly depraved" is what allows people to seek God, albeit not in the form of saving faith, which would in turn enable God to draw them to Jesus.

Did you understand what radical depravity is? Is not utter depravity being as evil as you can possibly be. But that radical depravity is the umbrella virus of sin, that has affected every part of the human body. Especially the heart and mind. We have no relationship with the Father that has been severed by sin and rebellion. The only way to the Father is through the Son.

Your objection to this might be a verse that "nobody seeks God". But again, there are different levels of seeking God so sometimes it talks about one level other times another level. Kind of like in Luke 1:6 it says "both of them were righteous in sight of God". What? I thought nobody is righteous? So nobody is righteous in one level, yet apparently some people are righteous in a different level. Thats why I am saying that part of the confusion is caused by assuming dichotomies. Now, its true that "some" things do have dichotomies: we either go to heaven or hell, there is no purgatory. But then there are other things that don't.
Last question, if everyone has a free-will, and sin has no affect on them to choose to accept or reject God. What makes a person accept God? Or even reject him. What's the cause that makes one accept or while the reject in your view. And please don't just say their free-will. Because something has to draw them, or there has to be a desire too. Something has to drive this person to believe or not. What is it?

Upvote 0

Roman57

May 26, 2005
Ann Arbor
✟29,755.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Roman, I said I get the feeling, and ask if this is correct. I didn't say this WAS your position.​

That is good that you double checked if it is correct: a lot of people don't (I don't mean just Calvinists, I mean people in general). So its good you did that.

However, the fact that you had this kind of "feeling" is an indication that you might not know much about other faith systems. Because the vast majority of Christians of all persuasions know that we have sin nature. If you have a "feeling" to the contrary to that, it says that you don't fully understand other persuasions. Again its not just Calvinist thing; its a human nature in general to misunderstand people you disagree with. But that is where you have to actually put more effort into learning what they have to say, which sadly most people (whether Calvinist or not) tend not to do.

The reason I said I get the feeling is because you said you don't believe people are forced into believing because they do have a free-will, do I have this correct?​

They are not forced into believing, but they are forced to be sinful. It seems like you have either/or dichotomy: either we have a free will to do anything and everything, or we don't have free will to do anything at all. Nobody said we have unlimitted free will. For example, we don't have an ability to lift 1000 pounds. The point is that we have a free will in "some" things but not others.

1) Do we have a free will to become completely sinless? No. Thats why we need Jesus to be saved.

2) Do we have a free will to sin less? Yes: most of us sin less than Hitler. But that doesn't save us since God's standard is perfection. So, again, thats why we need Jesus to be saved.

3) Do we have a free will to either accept or reject the free gift of Jesus' blood that covers our sins? Yes. And our having free will on this one area is what ultimately allows our salvation or damnation to be the result of our free will -- despite us not having free will in "1".

Now, you might ask: why is it we have an ability to do 3 and not 1? The answer is that God set it up this way so that nobody would boast (Eph 2:9) In other words, yes it was "possible" for God to enable us to do "1" (after all, God is all powerful) He just chose not to so that we won't boast. But at the same time He DID choose to enable us to do "3". And granting us free will to do "3" is His ultimate gift to the whole world (1 Tim 2:6)

I have encountered plenty who deny original sin, depending on what one means by original sin, right?​

What are their denominations?

So for clarity what is original sin?​

Its when Adam and Eve ate the fruit from the tree, and as a result all their descendants became sinful by nature.

So, I will ask again. In your view does sin affect the human will at all?​

Yes it does. It causes humans to "sometimes" make bad decisions, such as to sin. Yet it still enables them to "other times" make good decisions such as come to Christ.

Without Christ, being "sometimes good and sometimes bad" isn't good enough: God's standard is perfection. But with Christ making the decision for Christ would enable them to cover with His blood the times when they made bad decisions.

Can they decide to always be good? No. So yes, their sinful nature did limit their free will in SOME aspects. But it didn't remove it completely.

I say this because you make no mention about Grace.​

Here is where grace figures in my argument. Jesus gave an offer of His blood on the cross. That was grace. Now we have a free will to either accept the offer or reject it.

If we are not given the offer on the first place, we can't accept the offer we weren't given. So the fact that we were given it on the first place is grace. But after we were given that offer (which is by grace) then comes the free will part: we can either accept it or reject it.

Think of your friend giving you a gift. The transaction has two parts. The first part is your friend actually offering it to you. The second part is you accepting the offer. The first part is grace. The second part is free will.

Or think of a mountain climber who would fall into the abyss if not given a rope. The person that giving him a rope is offering him grace. Then his choice to either hold on to that rope or reject it is a free will choice.

Now, let me outline where we agree and where we disagree. Consider the following statements:

a) Whoever is not offered a gift, can't possibly take something they weren't offered

b) Whoever is offered the gift will always take it

c) Some people are not offered the gift

I assume you agree with all three of those statements. Well, in my case, I agree with a, but I disagree with b and c. The reason you agree with c is logical consequence of your agreeing with b. If whoever is offered the gift will always take it (part b), yet clearly there are some people who didn't take it (the non-believers) then it logically follows that those people weren't offered the gift (hence part c). So the source of our disagreement is we disagree on b. However, I told you that we agree on a. So the point is that statement a doesn't imply statement b. That is logically tied to the fact that "necessary" is not the same as "sufficient". The statement "a" is saying "being offered a gift is a necessary condition to take it". The statement "b" is saying "being offered a gift is a sufficient condition to take it". These are clearly two different statements, which is why I agree with "a" without agreeing with "b". However, despite the fact that I agree with "a", I still say that everyone have free will to take the gift. And the reason I am saying it is because I think everyone is offered the gift (thus, the "if" clausure of the statement "a" is a hypothetical that never happens). And the reason I say this is, in turn, because I disagree with "c" (which, in turn, is a consequence of my disagreeing with "b").

So what is sin in your view?

Sin is a violation of the law (1 John 3:4)

No Grace is needed in your view because sin doesn't deprive sinner of a free-will, do I have this right?

Grace is needed because having free will won't allow you to accept the gift you weren't given to begin with. The fact that you are offered the gift is grace.
But Grace is not needed to illuminate their minds or hearts to understand and believe, right?​

Yes it is. But like I said, everyone receives grace, they just choose not to accept it.

How do deal with this passage: 1 Cor. 2:14 The natural person does not accept the things of the Spirit of God, for they are folly to him, and he is not able to understand them because they are spiritually discerned.​

That is basically the same as statement a. It says IF God didn't illuminate that person THEN that person won't be able to see the light. Yet, at the same time, John 1:9 says that this light shines on every child that comes into the world. Therefore, nobody is completely "natural man" since everyone received that light, at least at birth. So why does it talk about "natural man" then? Because people can make a CHOICE to reject the light that they received. And then they would become "natural man" by their own choice.

As an example, consider an atheist who backs up his atheism with science. Lets say God is calling that man to come to Him, but he ignores that calling. An atheist might actually acknowledge he experiences a set of emotions, but he would attribute it to "chemistry in the brain" rather than God. In other words, his belief system won't allow him to attribute anything to supernatural. And that is where he would become "natural man". But that would be his own choice.

Now, if God wanted to force him to accept the supernatural, He could: just like He knocked Paul from his horse. But, for the most part, God chooses not to do it, and instead He chooses to allow us to have our own choices. God gave enough evidence for the above atheist to change his mind (Romans 1:20). But said atheist made a choice to ignore it. So God waits on him to either change his mind or face the consequences -- which is ultimately the choice said atheist has to make.

Or this passage: John 8:47 Whoever is of God hears the words of God. The reason why you do not hear them is that you are not of God.”​

Whether to be of God or not is a choice though. I chose to study physics. So after many years of pursuing my choice, I became a physicist. Because I am a physicist, I can understand physics books. But the statement "only physicists understand physics books" doesn't deny free will, because people have free will on whether to become physicists or not. It is just that their free will choice is removed in the past. Being able to understand physics books today has to do with free will choices made for the past several years.

Similarly, being able to hear God today is also a consequences of free will choices in the past. Going to the context of that passage, what Jesus was ultimately faulting the Pharesees with, was the fact that they thought he was false messiah when He was actually true Messian. Now, an ability to distinguish true Messiah from false messiah is basically a multiple choice test. And sometimes we do get presented with false messiahs (Deuteronomy 13 warns of it). So you can't fault them for not blindly answering "true" to every question. What you CAN fault them, however, is that they didn't study for the test. Thats why they failed it. Now, whether or not you study for the test IS a free will choice. But thats not a choice you get to make at the test. That is the choice you get to make at the time leading to the test. So the Pharesees, within the decades prior to Jesus arrival, made a set of choices that resulted in them not being ready for the test. Thats why they failed it. Could they pass a test they didn't study for? Probably not. But could they have studied for that test? Yes. And thats where free will comes in.

The other illustration of that same concept is "strong delusion" warned about in 2 Thes 2:11 (although this time it is about failing multiple choice test in the opposite way, and answering true when the answer is false). Do people whom God sent strong delusion to have a free will to resist said strong delusion? No. But did they have free will in the past to prevent God from sending them strong delusion on the first place? Yes.

The question should be why was Abel's offering accepted, while Cain's was rejected. Answer: Hebrews 11:4 By faith Abel offered to God a more acceptable sacrifice than Cain, through which he was commended as righteous, God commending him by accepting his gifts. And through his faith, though he died, he still speaks.

It should be both. Both Hebrews 11:4 and Genesis 4:7 are in the Bible. So both verses need to be taken into account. Now, what would you get if you pull those two verses together? You would get that Cain had a free will (Genesis 4:7) yet he was faulted for not having faith (Hebrews 11:4). This implies that him not having faith was his free will choice. And that is precisely what I was getting at: that faith is a choice. Why is it a choice? Like I explained earlier: because the gift is offered to everyone. Hence we have a choice to either accept it or not.

Again I will ask you, What is the gravity of sin in your view. It is time-out; an example not to follow; is it not serious enough to separate humanity from God.

The consequence of sin is eternity in hell, UNLESS we accept Jesus paying the price on our behalf with His blood. Now, this offer is given to all. Whether we accept it or not is a free will choice. If we make a free will choice not to accept it, we will spend eternity in hell, since that is how much our sin would cost if we were to pay for it ourselves. If we accept it, then we go to heaven since then Jesus paid for it. But fact remains: our choice to accept the sacrifice or not is a free will choice.

First of all why would anybody need or want Jesus?

Need: because even though we have free will, our free will is limitted in a sense that we can't become completely sinless. We can sin less but we still sin. So we need sacrifice.

Want: because even though we don't have complete free will, we still have "some" free will. And we have enough free will to be able to accept Jesus.

The concept that we have some free will yet not complete free will should be easy to grasp: nobody claims we have free will to lift 1000 pounds, yet most people agree we have free will to lift 10 pounds.

Why does God need to lead to Jesus, if you have a free-will?

Again, because it is not absolute. I don't have free will to lift 1000 pounds, but I have free will to lift 10 pounds.
Why would anyone want to seek God?

Same as above. Ask yourself why Luke 1:6 mentions people that were righteous in the sight of God desite the fact that Jesus didn't come to earth yet.

Did you understand what radical depravity is? Is not utter depravity being as evil as you can possibly be. But that radical depravity is the umbrella virus of sin, that has affected every part of the human body. Especially the heart and mind. We have no relationship with the Father that has been severed by sin and rebellion. The only way to the Father is through the Son.

In the Old Testament there are plenty of examples of people that pursued relationship with God without the son. Now, the son revealed Himself afterwords (in John 8:56 Jesus said He appeared to Abraham) but that was probably AFTER Abraham proven himself worthy, not before.

Last question, if everyone has a free-will, and sin has no affect on them to choose to accept or reject God. What makes a person accept God? Or even reject him. What's the cause that makes one accept or while the reject in your view. And please don't just say their free-will. Because something has to draw them, or there has to be a desire too. Something has to drive this person to believe or not. What is it?

In John 3:19-21, Jesus explains that people who do evil hate the light but people that do good come to the light so their deeds can be fully seen. This is a clear cause and effect statement. They FIRST did either good or evil and as a CONSEQUENCE of this, they either wanted to come to light or to get away from it. So how could they "do good" without the light? That is precisely what I am getting at. We are not "completely" evil.

Now, we are all "evil enough" to deserve hell unless our sins are paid for. So people who "do good" in those verses only "do good" by human standards. They are still sinners deserving of hell by God's standards. Yet, at the same time, those verses explain why they choose to come to Jesus while other people choose not to.

Upvote 0

Jesus is YHWH

my Lord and my God !
Site Supporter
Dec 15, 2011
✟389,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

The other issue is L (limitted atonement). 1 Tim 2:6 teaches that Jesus' death was a ransom for the entire world.
Amen

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums