Pacific NW
✟245,879.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
In Florida, Senate Bill 1248 would cancel any party in the state that ever advocated slavery or involuntary servitude. This notably includes the Democratic Party. Democrats could put a new party together under a very different name.

It seems to me to be more mischief and spite than anything serious. Could it possibly pass? Does Florida have a filibuster? I dunno. But maybe legislators in other red states will try to follow Senator Ingoglia's lead. Considering liberal attempts to get rid of statues of historical figures who were involved in slavery, it makes sense that Republicans would try to boomerang things back on them.

• Informative
Reactions: jacks

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟12,529.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It seems a cynical sort of joke. Besides abolishing the Democratic party on July 1st 2023, this law would prevent it from reforming under a different name in time for the next election. The name of the proposed law is "The Ultimate Cancel Act" - I guess it is refreshing to see the GOP stop denying its embrace of cancel culture.

Having only one party is a very bad idea. What a bad joke.

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟12,529.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
“For years I’ve been watching leftist Democrats cancel people, places, and things for things that have happened in the past 250 years,”’ said Ingoglia. “I thought it was hypocritical that you have these Democrats wanting to remove statues or rename buildings because of things that tie back to slavery. Well, under that same metric, then, the Florida Democrat, the Democrat Party itself, should be canceled.”

Upvote 0