A Few Questions on Penance

abacabb3

Jul 14, 2013
✟82,385.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
First, let me thank the many here who answer my questions. It lessens the burden on my priest.

I have a few questions about confession and penance. My exposure to it is only be reading and my own non-sacramental confessions to my priest. So, I am missing the big picture here.

That being said, in the early Church it appeared that in the west penance was a way of meriting forgiveness. However, in the east it appears that confession and penance were the means for the priest to see if one was ready to partake of the Eucharist in a worthy matter. (I gather this from Chrysostom's On the Priesthood, Book III, Chaps 5 and 6.)

So, is it really the priest in allowing you to partake in the Eucharist that forgives sin or is it the mere declaration that sins are remitted (i.e. "absolution")? In the liturgy we always confess that the eucharist forgives sins and Saints Jerome and Ambrose right that a priest cannot just simply remit sins at a whim, but let me know if I am off the rails here.

Second, are there penances anymore in Orthodoxy?

THird, what does a priest say after a confession? Is forgiveness conferred virtue by him saying it or is this completely wrongheaded? I have heard of Orthodoxy that go to parish to parish looking for an "Easy priest," which I presume is a reference to light penances.

Thanks!

All4Christ

✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,021,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Quick answer to part of the question:

This is the form of prayer we use in the OCA. It is the Greek version, and is he older of the prayers. I believe there was some Western influence on the Slavic version.

May God Who pardoned David through Nathan the Prophet when he confessed his sins, Who pardoned Peter who wept bitterly for his denial, the Harlot who wept at His feet, the Publican and the Prodigal, forgive you all things, through me a sinner, both in this world and in the world to come, and set you uncondemned before His terrible Judgment Seat. Now, having no further care for the sins which you have confessed, depart in peace.

Reactions: abacabb3
Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,515.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
penance in Orthodoxy is tied to the Eucharist in that it opens us to be healed. if Communion is the medicine, penance is the physical therapy. so yes, penance still happens and what the priest says depends on who is in confession and what they are struggling with.

Upvote 0

tim hopkins

Feb 24, 2016
mexico, mo
✟15,701.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Forgiveness comes through confession of sins to the Lamb of God (Jesus Christ). If you have already confessed him as your lord and savior and made him the lord of your life, you already have communication or legal access to pray to the Father in Jesus Name. Just talk to the Lord and ask him to cleanse you from all unrighteousness.
If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. (1 John 1:9 KJV)
www.mexicowordoflifeministries.com

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,515.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Forgiveness comes through confession of sins to the Lamb of God (Jesus Christ). If you have already confessed him as your lord and savior and made him the lord of your life, you already have communication or legal access to pray to the Father in Jesus Name. Just talk to the Lord and ask him to cleanse you from all unrighteousness.
If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. (1 John 1:9 KJV)
www.mexicowordoflifeministries.com

we don't dispute this, we differ on how we come to Christ for forgiveness

Last edited:
Upvote 0