Aug 23, 2007
✟784,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I went to confession yesterday to a priest who almost always wears a black cassock. It's the kind of cassock where it flares at the bottom. Is there a reason why some priests choose to wear this? Is it about aesthetics? (I'm sure it can't just be about that)

It has a more majestic appearance IMHO, but I think I've only seen this priest wear one. There's also a chance that I haven't looked hard enough.

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,673,418.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You might be interested in this:

Black is associated with sorrow but in the case of priestly robe this color has another symbolic meaning. A black cassock is to remind a priest that he 'dies to the world' every day and immerses in eternity.

Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟243,045.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
You might be interested in this:

Black is associated with sorrow but in the case of priestly robe this color has another symbolic meaning. A black cassock is to remind a priest that he 'dies to the world' every day and immerses in eternity.
Thanks for the information!! :)

Reactions: WarriorAngel
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,673,418.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Thanks for the information!! :)
You’re welcome. I have a priest that wears a cassock in my parish as well. It is a good sign as far as I’m concerned. :)

Reactions: WarriorAngel
Upvote 0

mourningdove~

"Pray, and prepare ..."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2005
✟439,816.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

I like the look of the black cassock very much. Priests wore them when I was growing up.
There was always something 'special' about them, to me.

I have seen one or two lately. I do hope they are making a comeback!

When I see a priest in a cassock, nuns in full traditional habit, out in the public? Like say, in Walmart?
Makes me pause. For those few moments, they remind me of the presence of God in the world ...

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,673,418.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I like the look of the black cassock very much. Priests wore them when I was growing up.

When I see a priest in a cassock, nuns in full traditional habit, out in the public? Like say, in Walmart?
Makes me pause. For those few moments, they remind me of the presence of God in the world ...
You nailed it!

Reactions: Susie~Q
Upvote 0

Lady Bug

Thankful For My Confirmation
Site Supporter
Aug 23, 2007
✟784,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private

Well, in Walmart you never know if such a shopper is actually a priest or nun because you can encounter strange folks (a woman with "painted pants" without her booty covered) in there. It could be a prank ^_^

Upvote 0

mourningdove~

"Pray, and prepare ..."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2005
✟439,816.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Well, in Walmart you never know if such a shopper is actually a priest or nun because you can encounter strange folks (a woman with "painted pants" without her booty covered) in there. It could be a prank ^_^

I suppose! Seems anything is possible these days! :oldthumbsup:

• Haha
Reactions: Lady Bug
Upvote 0