A&E is intolerant...

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DiligentlySeekingGod

Do you support A&E's right to Free Speech?

This is what I think.

1. Phil Johnson was well within his rights to express his faith and his beliefs openly and freely.

2. GLAAD was well within their rights to "wrongly" declare, according to their self-righteous opinion, that his opinions his faith and his beliefs were vile.

3. A&E were well within their rights respond as they saw fit. However IF it is against the law to hire or fire someone due to their beliefs, like say firing a gay employee because they are gay, or firing a Muslim because he is Muslim, it is also wrong, even illegal, to fire or even punish someone because of their faith, even Christian faith.

4. Christians are well within their rights to respond to A&Es actions as they see fit, be it calling for boycotts, boycotting, or denouncing A&Es choice of action.

5. IF A&E broke the laws against discrimination based on religion, then legal action may also be right and just. Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, prohibits discrimination against persons based on their religion in hiring, promotion, or in the terms and conditions of employment.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
D

DiligentlySeekingGod

Just putting the word out to all those who are in support of Phil Robertson.

Stand with Phil And Support Free Speech Facebook event, by Mike Huckabee.

And FYI, I tried to send out a few invites to this event to some of my family and friends on FB and I was blocked from doing so. I was told to only send out invites to people I knew who would be interested in this event. But that's what I was doing, Facebook PC police!!! Geez... So, I shared the event on my Facebook profile instead. Like it was said when I was growing up - "There's more than one way to skin a cat!" :D

*I did let Mike Huckabee know that the powers that be on Facebook stopped me from sending out invites.*

A message posted by Mike Huckabee yesterday at 9:21 a.m.:

I just found out that I'm not the only person Facebook is blocking from sending out invites to Mike Huckabee's event and I found out why.

Mike Huckabee posted this message yesterday about the invite block being imposed by Facebook.

FB would like us to clarify- the event hasn't been blocked just the ability to invite friends to join the event. So essentially the same effect but for the sake of accuracy we will split hairs for them.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

MrLuther

In the Lord I'll be ever thankful
Oct 2, 2013
✟16,115.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
A & E is a business . Of course they aren't going to tolerate having one of their employees openly stating opinions that could alienate/offend a significant portion of their viewing audience .

Its not about freedom of speech its about smart business decisions. He's not going to jail for what he said as one article pointed out.

So, maybe you can answer the question that has not been answered:
If a gay activist said
""I just *f-word* hate those stupid Christians man. They're in the closet every one of them". Would it be ok to fire someone who said that?
See, simply saying: "If he did the EXACT SAME THING doesn't answer my question. It's a matter of principle here, and whether there is one standard for those you agree with, and another for those you don't agree with.

Upvote 0

hollyda

To read makes our speaking English good
Mar 25, 2011
One Square Foot of Real Estate
✟17,438.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If a gay activist said
""I just *f-word* hate those stupid Christians man. They're in the closet every one of them". Would it be ok to fire someone who said that?
See, simply saying: "If he did the EXACT SAME THING doesn't answer my question. It's a matter of principle here, and whether there is one standard for those you agree with, and another for those you don't agree with.

Yes, it would be okay to fire them. I don't think anyone here would say differently.

Upvote 0

Saleena

A whole new rage.
Aug 12, 2013
✟6,121.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
If a gay activist said

Uh yeah you silly goose, in fact the community is not some hive mind you think it is. Dan Savage has taken a ton of flack for openly mocking the trans community. So it stands to reason that we are not going to stand by and agree with hatred of any kind. Just as there are those in the christian community that don't stand with the hate speech shown by duck dude.

Upvote 0

psalms 91

Legend
Dec 27, 2004
✟127,276.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
And people are even more tired of religious conservatives shoving their archaic views down everyone's throat and expecting those who disagree with those beliefs to abide by them. This is a secular country. Don't like gays, don't associate with them. But you have no authority to dictate their lives.
And they should not have the authority to silence those of us who stand up for what is right. I dont actually go around saying much about the issue until it is pushed on me and then I will have plenty to say. If you dont like our ways then quit trying to change them and everything around us and yes it is a shame that a once Christan nation founded on Christan values is now a secular society because of garbage like this.

Upvote 0

psalms 91

Legend
Dec 27, 2004
✟127,276.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Pretty sad that Mike Huckabee doesn't understand the 1st Amendment. Good thing he has no shot at the Presidency.
I think he understands it better than someone who agrees with silencing someone based on their belief and lets get off it that thye didnt silence him, they did by taking away an audience so it is in effect the same thing.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
D

DiligentlySeekingGod

And they should not have the authority to silence those of us who stand up for what is right. I dont actually go around saying much about the issue until it is pushed on me and then I will have plenty to say. If you dont like our ways then quit trying to change them and everything around us and yes it is a shame that a once Christan nation founded on Christan values is now a secular society because of garbage like this.

AMEN brother!!! :preach:

1475928_385488021585644_398468533_n.jpg

Upvote 0

hollyda

Mar 25, 2011
✟17,438.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
And they should not have the authority to silence those of us who stand up for what is right.

No one has been silenced. PR can say whatever he wants, and I think right now any number of media outlets would be eager to hear him. You can also write to your editor, open a blog, post on FB. But A&E is in charge of A&E's message, and they have the right not to associate with whomever they don't wish to associate, or fire individuals they feel contradict/damage their company's message.

I don't have the right to tell you what not to say or what to say. Firing an individual doesn't remove their right to say/believe something; all it does is prohibit them from saying it on property they don't own. In this case, that would be A&E. What YOU seem to want is the complete disregard of company rights. As long as the message is one you approve of, it's cool.

If you dont like our ways then quit trying to change them and everything around us

So if you don't like something, the thing you don't like needs to stop, as do its supporters. But if we don't like something, the thing we don't like needs to stay as it is because of its supporters? Do you not realize how hypocritical this is? Or do you care that it's hypocritical?

Upvote 0

QueSeraSera

Training Wheels
Oct 7, 2013
In a good place
✟16,716.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
If a gay activist said

First of all he wasn't fired he was suspended .But yes it would be O.K to suspend someone for saying that gay or straight . I have absolutely no double standard.

If I had an employ that was voicing hate speech to my customers about any group I would fire them .

Upvote 0

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
By the shores of Gitchee-Goomee
✟277,229.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
And people are even more tired of religious conservatives shoving their archaic views down everyone's throat and expecting those who disagree with those beliefs to abide by them. This is a secular country. Don't like gays, don't associate with them. But you have no authority to dictate their lives.

What we have in this country are two, completely distinct, cultures. They have utterly, totally different worldviews, worldviews that are in direct conflict with one another. The people of these two cultures have been raised to believe that their own way of thinking is best, and the two cultures have become mutually hostile to each other.

The one culture has been fortunate in having things the way they have always been for decades; their religious and ethical beliefs have been unchallenged until fairly recently, when the newer people who are coming up and growing in number, has decided to introduce completely new ways of thinking into their midst. The ideas of the second group are offensive to the first group; they want things to stay the way they've always been.

The first group sees the second group as having no respect for the established way of doing things; they see the second group as arrogant, self-righteous usurpers who want to overturn the entire civilization in order to re-make it in their own image.

The second group sees the first group as backwards, archaic dinosaurs; they feel their religious traditions and cultural beliefs are complete nonsense, and that the first groups' insistence on maintaining these beliefs in the country is a barrier to progress. They feel the first group needs to abandon their belief system, and join with them in newer, more "forward" ways of thinking and acting.

These two cultures are growing in mutual hostility to each other; there is no possible way of ever finding a compromise between the beliefs on the one culture and the beliefs of the other. It's going to come down to open conflict, and only one side can win; the other side will either be utterly destroyed, or reduced to subjugation and second-class status, to be abused, shoved aside, and forgotten.

Little_Big_Horn_Battle.jpg

What's the matter? What did you think I was talking about?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

psalms 91

Legend
Dec 27, 2004
✟127,276.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
No one has been silenced. PR can say whatever he wants, and I think right now any number of media outlets would be eager to hear him. You can also write to your editor, open a blog, post on FB. But A&E is in charge of A&E's message, and they have the right not to associate with whomever they don't wish to associate, or fire individuals they feel contradict/damage their company's message.

I don't have the right to tell you what not to say or what to say. Firing an individual doesn't remove their right to say/believe something; all it does is prohibit them from saying it on property they don't own. In this case, that would be A&E. What YOU seem to want is the complete disregard of company rights. As long as the message is one you approve of, it's cool.

So if you don't like something, the thing you don't like needs to stop, as do its supporters. But if we don't like something, the thing we don't like needs to stay as it is because of its supporters? Do you not realize how hypocritical this is? Or do you care that it's hypocritical?
The only thing hypocritical is turning a Christan nation into a secular one by a few that sued to legislate to the many and change the whole fabric of our country. Taking God out of everything doesnt change Him in the least but it sure changes this country and the behaviors of the people in it. Will be interesting to see if A&E backs away from this now that so many have raised a fuss and keep their one profitable show as I doubt that the rest of them will do the show without him

Upvote 0

hollyda

Mar 25, 2011
✟17,438.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The only thing hypocritical is turning a Christan nation into a secular one by a few that sued to legislate to the many and change the whole fabric of our country.

This is an entirely different argument. If you don't want to answer what I actually said regarding the issue at hand, that's fine...but it would be another digression, and I'd recommend starting your own thread.

Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟909,323.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Except for the fact that someone might pass restrictive laws that affect you, I don't know why you'd care what a Christian called a sin.

Theologically speaking, your separate acts are irrelevant unless you're a believer. "Commit a sin" is not a theologically meaningful phrase regarding an unbeliever.

Or call you a "vile abomination"? Or deny you service based on your choice of partners? Or claim you are "Trying to destroy society"? Or humiliate you and brow beat you until you commit suicide? Or ensure that you are black listed from getting a good job? Or murder you for having the audacity to find them attractive?

All while claiming they love you and only want what is best for you?

Yes, I can think of no reason why being singled out for your particular "sin" would be of concern to gays.

Upvote 0

psalms 91

Legend
Dec 27, 2004
✟127,276.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
This is an entirely different argument. If you don't want to answer what I actually said regarding the issue at hand, that's fine...but it would be another digression, and I'd recommend starting your own thread.
I have an idea, if you really want to further LGBT causes go to a muslim country and change them, see how that goes over.

Upvote 0

Saleena

A whole new rage.
Aug 12, 2013
✟6,121.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I have an idea, if you really want to further LGBT causes go to a muslim country and change them, see how that goes over.

Did you just pick the donkey icon because that was your favorite animal or something? Because spouting that whole line of noise "if you don't like it do something elsewhere" is well, just noise.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.