Visit site
✟8,131.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So, while we're waiting, do you guys wanna talk about each others stories? I'd say more but a gotta go.
I'm game. I noticed that from my poll, that the two people who voted both said that my story was "meh". I'd be curious to find out why, and what could be improved. Was it the writing style itself, or was it simply the storyline?

Upvote 0
C

CelticRose

Ok. Well of the stories I've read I really liked Owl's Tangled & Fallen. It was highly readable, kept you interested, was easily understandable & had lots of action. The one drawback was it didn't seem finished & as such doesn't stand alone as a story.

FriarErasumus, I'm not sure if I should comment on yours or not as I dislike obvious & blatant allegories ~ just a personal preference & NOT a comment on the actual writing. I like to be surprized & feel the idea is quite workable but I would change names, (dead giveaway) & try to be a little more obscure to keep the reader guessing. But what do I know. I have enough trouble trying to do these things myself! :)

Upvote 0
Feb 4, 2002
Alabama
✟23,450.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Ok. Well of the stories I've read I really liked Owl's Tangled & Fallen. It was highly readable, kept you interested, was easily understandable & had lots of action. The one drawback was it didn't seem finished & as such doesn't stand alone as a story.

[...]
thanks! unfortunately, what i have posted is just part of a larger story... though i haven't exactly written any more to it. my original intent was just to leave it as it was but i got so many complaints from another place i've submitted it for review that i've thought about expanding it. right now i view it as a slice of life type story.:blush:

Upvote 0

FriarErasmus

Feb 5, 2007
Visit site
✟8,131.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What does meh stand for?

What sort of guidlines are you considering for doing this discussion?

Interested but cautious.
"meh" means unimpressive... not worthy of much interest, not great, but not horrible. Just meh.

Upvote 0

FriarErasmus

Feb 5, 2007
Visit site
✟8,131.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

FriarErasumus, I'm not sure if I should comment on yours or not as I dislike obvious & blatant allegories ~ just a personal preference & NOT a comment on the actual writing. I like to be surprized & feel the idea is quite workable but I would change names, (dead giveaway) & try to be a little more obscure to keep the reader guessing. But what do I know. I have enough trouble trying to do these things myself! :)
The names being similar (almost the same) was intentional, to allow those very unfamiliar with the story to feel that the sort of think they know it (ie someone who has never read the Bible but has heard the Christmas story, would feel vaguely familiar with the story.) I also am not too much a fan of blatant allegory, but this seemed an opportunity to flex my "writing muscles" on a story that didn't require me to think up a completely new plot. I have too much of my novel series in my head to be trying to create another world, and I didn't want to rush any of the writing of that storyline, so... allegory seemed the best option. Thank you for the honest opinion and review. Even though you don't like allegory, did you have any suggestions in how to improve the writing style itself? Anything that annoyed you about the style?

Upvote 0

FriarErasmus

Feb 5, 2007
Visit site
✟8,131.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I will welcome any comments on my story. It is on page 3.

Nat
My earlier response:
http://www.christianforums.com/showpost.php?p=34374921&postcount=30
I also wanted to say that the story felt like it really could go further. What happened at his new home? What was so important about the new jobs that constituted moving to England? What thoughts were going through his head while he was on the flight? It left me wanting a whole lot more. Sometimes that is a good thing, so maybe you should just ignore my comments :p

Anyways, loved it!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

flying_kiwifruit

used to be bellaandpjforever I had a name change</
Site Supporter
Mar 24, 2006
New Zealand
✟52,205.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
My earlier response:
http://www.christianforums.com/showpost.php?p=34374921&postcount=30
I also wanted to say that the story felt like it really could go further. What happened at his new home? What was so important about the new jobs that constituted moving to England? What thoughts were going through his head while he was on the flight? It left me wanting a whole lot more. Sometimes that is a good thing, so maybe you should just ignore my comments :p

Anyways, loved it!
Yeah it is a sequeal to another short story that I had written called Candles(it is in the creative writing section) The abrut ending was because had to go away for a few days over the closing date so I had to finish it very quickly. I plan to re write the ending of this one to my origanal plan as for the big picture he is not allowed to move. This and Candles may both be going towards a much larger story where it bit is two years apart and within each bit you get the year from 4 perspectives of Kate, Andy, Jutith and Margerate.

But thats a long way off finished. Thanks for the comments anyway.

Nat

Upvote 0
C

CelticRose

Nat, your story seems like it needs expanding to allow for more character development & plot development. The idea is good but it seems a little 'squashed' by the limitations of a short story. Sorry, I'm having a little trouble expressing myself clearly. The ending is a little too abrupt & convienient. I should like to see this developed further. It has great potential.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.