• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

A Christian Perspective on Epistemology

Discussion in 'Exploring Christianity' started by R.Miller, Jun 14, 2019.

1. R.Miller

R.Miller Evidence is a beautiful thing

+85
    United States
    Skeptic
    Married
    I have read enough to know that I think the Van Tilian approach to epistemology, vie presuppositionalism is unsupportable (IMO). What alternatives are there?

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Oscarr

Oscarr Senior Veteran Supporter

+6,445
    New Zealand
    Pentecostal
    Married
    That sounds like tongues. You should try that in church sometime and see if there is an interpretation! ^_^^_^^_^

3. Radagast

Radagast has left CF

+6,864
    Australia
    Christian
    Single
    Most Christians take the classic approach of knowledge being justified true belief.

The main uniquely Christian element is that if I have a justified true belief that God asserted the proposition P, then I have a justified true belief that P is true.

4. chevyontheriver

chevyontheriver Well-Known Member Supporter

+5,403
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-American-Solidarity
    Not familiar with Van Til 's epistemology. I didn't even know he had one, honestly. So I'm not sure what I am about to propose is a true alternative or not.

When I think of epistemology I think of Jacques Maritain's reflections on Thomas Aquinas in 'Introduction to Philosophy' An Introduction to Philosophy by Jacques Maritain

That is a rather simple introduction but there is some depth to the philosophy of Thomas Aquinas that may be good for you to explore. Guides to Thomistic philosophy include Pieper, Maritain, McInerny, Chesterton, and Gilson. Nothing like reading Thomas in Latin but not everybody can do that. His Summa Theologica and Summa Contra Gentiles are available in English, but before buying one be sure you are getting a translation that works for you. And read either Pieper's or Chesterton's introductions to Thomas so you can get the hang of reading a medieval philosopher with benefit.

A Select Thomistic Bibliography Topically Arranged

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  5. R.Miller

+85
    United States
    Skeptic
    Married
    In my discussions with believers, they make appeals to knowledge that I cannot make without sufficient evidence. It seems to me that every conversation concludes with faith as a form of knowledge. I see faith as a conclusion without positive knowledge. Believers seem to lay claim to extra knowledge.

6. R.Miller

+85
    United States
    Skeptic
    Married
    I have read Aquinas but, he places the text of scripture as evidence. That is circular reasoning. How do I know Jesus rose from the dead--'the Bible says so." How do I know the Bible is reliable?--"Jesus rose from the dead and attests to it." I am a bit incredulous with such reasoning.

7. Radagast

Radagast has left CF

+6,864
    Australia
    Christian
    Single
    That made no sense to me at all; but I can hardly take responsibility for your interpretation of what other individual Christians have said.

In this thread, we should probably just stick to established Christian positions that exist on paper.

8. R.Miller

+85
    United States
    Skeptic
    Married
    What I said is an "established" Christian position--and often "on paper." My question is whether or not a faith claim can have epistemological support. Christian theologians treat this issue differently than septics. I want to know why.

9. Radagast

Radagast has left CF

+6,864
    Australia
    Christian
    Single
    That's a ridiculous parody of Aquinas's position.

To quote the medieval poet Dante, who was a big fan of Aquinas:

I heard: “The premises of old and new
    impelling your conclusion—why do you
    hold these to be the speech of God?” And I:

“The proof revealing truth to me relies
    on acts that happened; for such miracles,
    nature can heat no iron, beat no anvil.”

“Say, who assures you that those works were real?”
    came the reply. “The very thing that needs
    proof—no thing else—attests these works to you.”

I said: “If without miracles the world
    was turned to Christianity, that is
    so great a miracle that all the rest

are not its hundredth part: for you were poor
    and hungry when you found the field and sowed
    the good plant—once a vine and now a thorn.”

10. Radagast

Radagast has left CF

+6,864
    Australia
    Christian
    Single
    Yet you cited no published work of any kind.

11. R.Miller

+85
    United States
    Skeptic
    Married
    Of course it is--it's a brief forum with a brief question. I'm not writing my dissertation. But essentially, that is the bumper sticker position of the Anti and Post Nicene Fathers. I am simply asking for a reason why Christians believe they have knowledge which many do not find compelling and how they view the acquiring of that knowledge--does it differ in any significant way from modern Epistemological methods?

12. R.Miller

+85
    United States
    Skeptic
    Married
    No, what does that have to do with anything--I've made no claim.

13. Radagast

Radagast has left CF

+6,864
    Australia
    Christian
    Single
    No.

You've made all kinds of claims: about Christians in general, about Aquinas, and just recently about the Anti and Post Nicene Fathers.

14. R.Miller

+85
    United States
    Skeptic
    Married
    Okay, instead of being passive aggressive and kind of [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse]ty--how about you help me out. This is my thread you decided to post in after all. I'm just asking a serious question here.

15. R.Miller

+85
    United States
    Skeptic
    Married
    I
    I guess there are words you can't write on this forum. Kind of weird for adults, but okay.

16. Tone

Tone Star Fish Radiant Supporter

+1,555
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Private
    A real, personal, and powerful encounter with the Creator.

17. Tone

Tone Star Fish Radiant Supporter

+1,555
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Private
    Is this ^ done automatically when you type a curse word?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  18. R.Miller

+85
    United States
    Skeptic
    Married
    Okay, I can understand that. If I had such an experience right now, I would consider that evidence of a kind. But, how would I know if I had perceived properly? Also, how could I ever trust another persons testimony?

19. R.Miller

+85
    United States
    Skeptic
    Married
    You are missing the point. I am asking about epistemology. It one of this "forrest for the trees" kind of situations.

20. R.Miller

+85
    United States
    Skeptic
    Married
    Look man, this is an EXPLORING CHRISTIANITY thread. Help or get lost.