A Certain "Orange-Faced Man" is talked about MORE than God Himself

ReesePiece23

The Peanut Buttery Member.
Sep 17, 2013
✟288,777.00
Faith
Christian
And with Easter coming up, it's time we changed that VERY quickly. This is Christian Forums. Not "Talk About an Old Fat Bloke to the Point of Exhaustion Forums".

No man - no matter what state the world is in, is more important than God.

I'd love it if from Good Friday "his" name wasn't mentioned until the following Monday. It won't happen, but I'd love to see it.

Is it just me? Am I just being a cantankerous Brit?

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟430,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
And with Easter coming up, it's time we changed that VERY quickly. This is Christian Forums. Not "Talk About an Old Fat Bloke to the Point of Exhaustion Forums".

I'd love it if from Good Friday "his" name wasn't mentioned until the following Monday. It won't happen, but I'd love to see it.

I'm an American, and I agree with you completely. I've been saying for almost as long as I've been here (since 2015, so before Trump) that if I didn't know any better about Christianity and only had this forum to evaluate it by, I could very easily come to the conclusion that Christianity is mostly about a very limited set of mostly America-specific political wedge issues, less so about God.

Upvote 0

Josheb

Christian
Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
NoVa
✟167,295.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Don't look now, but you are talking about him now :eek:. This forum has many different boards of discussion most of which never contain the man's mention.

Upvote 0

ReesePiece23

Sep 17, 2013
✟288,777.00
Faith
Christian
I'm an American, and I agree with you completely. I've been saying for almost as long as I've been here (since 2015, so before Trump) that if I didn't know any better about Christianity and only had this forum to evaluate it by, I could very easily come to the conclusion that Christianity is mostly about a very limited set of mostly America-specific political wedge issues, less so about God.

As a Englishman (well, no, as anyone who isn't from the US) it can be incredibly alienating. Almost off putting. Personally, I think the forum should tighten up a bit, it's an absolute mess. There's sub-forums I've never even been in that probably haven't had a thread since 2012.

Upvote 0

ReesePiece23

Sep 17, 2013
✟288,777.00
Faith
Christian
Don't look now, but you are talking about him now :eek:. This forum has many different boards of discussion most of which never contain the man's mention.

Well, judging by that new threads widget on the homepage, it's been a while.

You're certainly not wrong though.

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Aug 27, 2014
✟430,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
As a Englishman (well, no, as anyone who isn't from the US) it can be incredibly alienating. Almost off putting. Personally, I think the forum should tighten up a bit, it's an absolute mess. There's sub-forums I've never even been in that probably haven't had a thread since 2012.

I wouldn't judge this forum too harshly on those grounds. I don't have the exact numbers to back it up, but it would not surprise me to find based on the percentages that I have heard about larger websites like YouTube that the English-language "Christian internet" (so, not just here, but all Christian forums) is pretty American-dominated. If this were a more specific forum for a Christian tradition that is more strongly affiliated with a non-American part of the English-speaking world -- say, for Anglicans -- there would probably be less American political stuff than there is here, if only because the majority of Anglicans are not in the United States (though there still are millions), so you probably wouldn't have as many Americans visiting such a forum compared to this one that is more omni-denominational. And of course the amount of Trump or American political talk to be found on the average Coptic Orthodox or Bulgarian Orthodox or Chaldean Catholic (etc.) forum is even less, in a measure pretty well correlated to the presence and integration of those communities in the USA or (to a much lesser extent) perhaps Europe. And when written in Arabic, Bulgarian, Neo-Aramaic, etc. languages, it's definitely more anomalous to find such talk than it is to find it absent. Of course it only makes sense that if you live in Egypt, or Iraq, or one of these other places, you might still care about whatever the U.S. is doing (I imagine it's kind of hard not to, for 'superpower reasons'), but probably not as much as what is actually going on in your own country.

All that said, I also would like to see a great reduction in the number of forums here, but others don't seem to agree.

Upvote 0

Jermayn

May 22, 2019
Northwest Florida
✟109,311.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
If you want to see him talked about less, try making you're posts not look like more hyper-partisan rhetoric. Showing disdain toward someone to the point that you are only willing to describe them in terms of their negative physical traits and won't even type their name is a worse look than having to many political threads. I'm sure you wouldn't appreciate is someone did the same to you.

Luke 6:31 - Do to others as you would have them do to you.

Reactions: Hieronymus
Upvote 0

ReesePiece23

Sep 17, 2013
✟288,777.00
Faith
Christian
If you want to see him talked about less, try making you're posts not look like more hyper-partisan rhetoric. Showing disdain toward someone to the point that you are only willing to describe them in terms of their negative physical traits and won't even type their name is a worse look than having to many political threads. I'm sure you wouldn't appreciate is someone did the same to you.

Luke 6:31 - Do to others as you would have them do to you.

I was actually being nice. I could have gone into how he's basically buried his head in the sand, acted WAY too late, and refused to admit that he was completely incompetent to run a great country like America, but I assumed all of that was obvious, so...

Boris is not nearly as talked about, not even over here in the UK- y'know why? Because he's doing his job properly and not avoiding questions by mugging off news reporters. People won't praise as much as they'll criticise - society has always been like that.

His physical appearance is a redeeming quality, actually. I liked him when he was at Wrestlemania 23, very entertaining.

Seriously though, even as a Brit I love America. Seeing it being run by him annoys me more than you'll ever understand.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Jermayn

May 22, 2019
Northwest Florida
✟109,311.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I was actually being nice. I could have gone into how he's basically buried his head in the sand, acted WAY too late, and refused to admit that he was completely incompetent to run a great country like America, but I assumed all of that was obvious, so...

Boris is not nearly as talked about, not even over here in the UK- y'know why? Because he's doing his job properly and not avoiding questions by mugging off news reporters. People won't praise as much as they'll criticise - society has always been like that.

His physical appearance is a redeeming quality, actually. I liked him when he was at Wrestlemania 23, very entertaining.

Seriously though, even as a Brit I love America. Seeing it being run by him annoys me more than you'll ever understand.

I'm not here to debate politics with you. I was just pointing out that this is obviously another hyper-partisan post and, more importantly, the biblical inconsistencies in it. I've done it on this site too, so I will tell you the solution is to just stay out of the political forum. The only reason I read this one was because it was in the "Philosopy and Ethics" section.

Upvote 0

ReesePiece23

Sep 17, 2013
✟288,777.00
Faith
Christian
I'm not here to debate politics with you. I was just pointing out that this is obviously another hyper-partisan post and, more importantly, the biblical inconsistencies in it. I've done it on this site too, so I will tell you the solution is to just stay out of the political forum. The only reason I read this one was because it was in the "Philosopy and Ethics" section.

No, no, I don't want to get into a debate or an argument, my problem isn't with you. Hopefully, it didn't appear that way.

I think my goal at the time was to get everyone focused on Easter, in a weird, semi-humorous way. I felt that God wasn't getting a look-in on his own patch.

Reactions: public hermit
Upvote 0

Jermayn

May 22, 2019
Northwest Florida
✟109,311.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
No, no, I don't want to get into a debate or an argument, my problem isn't with you. Hopefully, it didn't appear that way.

I think my goal at the time was to get everyone focused on Easter, in a weird, semi-humorous way. I felt that God wasn't getting a look-in on his own patch.

All good. I didn't take any offense or think it was directed at me. I agree that we should put our faith in God and stop putting it in politicians, regardless of what side of the aisle we are on.

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Aug 27, 2014
✟430,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
op Then why don't you shut up!
You add abuse an hate to the dialogue and then ask that no one defends!
He is not just an orange man.
He is a Christian and he is the President of the United States.
Sure you may vote ! But God alone choses!

A spirit of calmness and even joy in the risen Christ (because He is risen!) is what we should all be trying to cultivate, don't you think? After all, this is a wonderful time to be a Christian...less so to be a politician, and even less so to derive our identities from our political allegiances in the context of Christian discussion. That's what I took the OP to be saying, anyway, and I have a hard time seeing how this merits a "shut up!" from anyone.

• Agree
Reactions: public hermit
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Stormy

Senior Contributor
Jun 16, 2002
St. Louis, Mo
Visit site
✟51,954.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
The Op called President Donald Trump... The orange man.
So shut up seems quite appropriate.

President Trump is a Christian.
He supports us and also this country. President Trump is not perfect., But he works without taking a salary to try to help America.

Upvote 0

ReesePiece23

Sep 17, 2013
✟288,777.00
Faith
Christian
op Then why don't you shut up!
You add abuse an hate to the dialogue and then ask that no one defends!
He is not just an orange man.
He is a Christian and he is the President of the United States.
Sure you may vote ! But God alone choses!

Lol I can guarantee that if we met in real life you wouldn't say a word - you'd glance down at the floor and mumble into your chest like every other keyboard warrior I've met. Piers Morgan, is a prime example.

Anyway, if you actually bothered to read the posts instead of getting menstrual over a little joke, then you'd see that I'm not eligible to vote, I'm British.

Plus, if you read between the lines, this thread WAS actually meant to be a relatively fun, lighthearted (though semi-serious) post to ease a bit of stress, get people focused on God, and to have a laugh over Easter - that was, until people like you came in spreading your poison. So thank you, YOU are one of the reasons why we can never have nice things. This'll no doubt get deleted, I'll get an infraction, and you will most likely come out of it smelling of roses because CF seem to protect members like you.

Fantastic.

Oh, and I've got a username, and no, it's not "OP".

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ReesePiece23

Sep 17, 2013
✟288,777.00
Faith
Christian
A spirit of calmness and even joy in the risen Christ (because He is risen!) is what we should all be trying to cultivate, don't you think? After all, this is a wonderful time to be a Christian...less so to be a politician, and even less so to derive our identities from our political allegiances in the context of Christian discussion. That's what I took the OP to be saying, anyway, and I have a hard time seeing how this merits a "shut up!" from anyone.

Do you know what? I'm so pleased that the majority of you (maybe all bar one) got the point. Some people can just never cut loose, not even for a moment.

I've never been told to shut up on the internet before - calm spirit or not, I wasn't standing for it. Bottom line is, 'the man' is talked about more than God. That's not an opinion, it's a fact. I didn't want to mention his name, hence the "over the top" description.

It's shocking that I feel the need to explain this.

Upvote 0

Jamesone5

Site Supporter
Aug 7, 2019
Basin
✟97,413.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Do you know what? I'm so pleased that the majority of you (maybe all bar one) got the point. Some people can just never cut loose, not even for a moment.

I've never been told to shut up on the internet before - calm spirit or not, I wasn't standing for it. Bottom line is, 'the man' is talked about more than God. That's not an opinion, it's a fact. I didn't want to mention his name, hence the "over the top" description.

It's shocking that I feel the need to explain this.

Unfortunately, we can see here in America far too close of a political allegiance lining up with so-called Christian values. This is set by Evangelicals leaders who say that we are heading toward a Civil War [of all things] if we don't keep a certain political figure in office.

I believe God is trying to teach us a lesson with this current pandemic [at least in America] for proclaiming Christians. To get back to their Bibles in a purely humble way and unfortunately so many are not listening.

Upvote 0

ReesePiece23

Sep 17, 2013
✟288,777.00
Faith
Christian
Unfortunately, we can see here in America far too close of a political allegiance lining up with so-called Christian values. This is set by Evangelicals leaders who say that we are heading toward a Civil War [of all things] if we don't keep a certain political figure in office.

I believe God is trying to teach us a lesson with this current pandemic [at least in America] for proclaiming Christians. To get back to their Bibles in a purely humble way and unfortunately so many are not listening.

You do have to wonder - y'know, with the recent 'comedy of errors' and all, whether God is amplifying the pitfalls of that guys jurisdiction in order to redirect our attention to God. It's an administration fuelled by narcissism and immaturity, and about a million miles from what He would want.

Last week really was beyond insane. I had to splash iced water in my face to make sure I wasn't dreaming it.

Upvote 0