✟20,861.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Bumping this up

I read ALOT of books, and this book was just excellent. I fell in love with God all over again, and it made me not fear death in a real way. It made me pray differently. It made me crave heaven. It made me wish I could have such a weekend.

Awesome.

Upvote 0

MattHall

I <3 Reformed Theology
Jan 25, 2009
S.F. Bay Area, California
✟15,180.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
This book is alarming. The theology that this book preaches is wrong. This book is persuasive. Just like sin.

For more details, read a thoughtful review: check out DiscerningReader.com

Last edited:
Upvote 0

FG21

Jan 15, 2009
Gig Harbor WA
✟8,764.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Ahem. Newbie talking. When I first started asking about and finding Jesus my cousin gave me this book as well as a Lee Strobel book. Oh, and Mere Christianity by CS Lewis.

Yes, the Shack is persuasive. VERY. That book has led me to have Faith in my God. I especially love the Holy Spirit as gardener. Gardener of my soul. I think all the time about tearing up roots and planting anew.

Sinful? No. I know all about sin. Been doing the sin thing a long time. This book makes me say "YAY GOD!!!":clap: and want to keep reaching for more God.

Upvote 0

MattHall

I <3 Reformed Theology
Jan 25, 2009
✟15,180.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Okay. I'm going to be more blunt, but I do not intend to be mean, I intend to advocate for scriptural truth with the intent of Christian edification.

The god presented in the Shack does not line up with scripture. Period. Papa is compelling, attractive... not God.

If the God of the Shack is your god... you are not worshiping God.

Golden Calf. Idolatry.

Upvote 0

eldermike

Pray
Site Supporter
Mar 24, 2002
NC
Visit site
✟20,209.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
This book is alarming. The theology that this book preaches is wrong. This book is persuasive. Just like sin.

For more details, read a thoughtful review: check out DiscerningReader.com

Did you read it?

Upvote 0

eldermike

Pray
Site Supporter
Mar 24, 2002
NC
Visit site
✟20,209.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Oh. I thought I mentioned that in my first post.

Yes. I read it. Every word. It would be unfair for me to speak so strongly against it without having read it.

That's cool, just checking. Your opinion counts:wave:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FG21

Jan 15, 2009
Gig Harbor WA
✟8,764.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Okay. I'm going to be more blunt, but I do not intend to be mean, I intend to advocate for scriptural truth with the intent of Christian edification.

The god presented in the Shack does not line up with scripture. Period. Papa is compelling, attractive... not God.

If the God of the Shack is your god... you are not worshiping God.

Golden Calf. Idolatry.

Golden calf idolatry the biggest horses rear! (I'm looking for an emoticon but think Clydesdale rear LOL). I may be new but I do know to not pick and choose from the Bible. I know Scripture is Gods Word.

The Shack is a work of fiction. Written by one of Gods children. AHHH! I can go on but really I just do not understand how such a beautiful book can be condemned as sin?

The Shack is a work of fiction, writing and praising God.

MattHall, I just don't get the negativity about this book from you. Maybe I am just so new to Christ that I find so much good? I am finding your perspective so hard to figure out. Eeesh. I apologize about the Clydesdale rear.

Upvote 0

MattHall

I <3 Reformed Theology
Jan 25, 2009
✟15,180.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
The shack is a work of theological fiction. It is mostly a theological conversation. The conclusions that the author would lead his readers to make are wrong.

I work in a Christian Bookstore so I see first hand how the publisher is marketing it. The question on all of their in store marketing is... "Who is God really?" -- I'm telling you. The book's answer to this question is REALLY wrong.

I understand what is attractive about the book. The idea of a Papa is really really attractive, and I think there is a part of God that wants us to be that close to him. The metaphor of the Holy Spirit being a gardener is in many ways true... however, these are fragments of truth in a book that is mostly untruth.

I really implore you to research the criticism of this book, but there are several serious concerns, and I could not do them justice in this setting. Other more scholarly men have written much better arguments, so I will allow them to speak to my issues.

Upvote 0

FG21

Jan 15, 2009
Gig Harbor WA
✟8,764.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Eeesh. MattHall. When I am talking about politics, etc with friends (or not friends LOL!) and refer them to look at other peoples arguments it means I have got lost and have no idea what I am talking about. Just ask My Favorite Democrat, he knows he got me when I do that! It does bring him something though, usually the room is no longer cleared.:thumbsup:

I think the Shack is a good book. I also think those of us tend to think in more "worldly" ways than others. And, yes, I have been reading up on worldliness.

Think of it like this. When new to Christ you are very childlike (I know I am!). What child doesn't want the total love and attention from their parents? Gods love is like that. I didn't go to Sunday school but I know what is taught there! It is guidance, soft rebuking and so so much love. As an adult reading that book it just made me rejoice in my God. I do know that I am a sinner and that I am human. I am learning the Word. I engaged in a theological conversation today. I went for a walk and spent the entire time talking with God. I know he heard me and probably giggled when I ran out of prayer and started reciting the books of the New Testament in time with my feet as I headed back LOL! Thessalonians does not go well sometimes.

Whatever it is marketed as, if someone reads it they most likely will be drawn to God. An adult new to Christ will also love it for the sheer simple love in it.

Upvote 0

MattHall

I <3 Reformed Theology
Jan 25, 2009
✟15,180.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
"Rejoice in my God"

Key word My. Because the God of the Shack is a fictional God and not the God of the Universe as revealed in scripture. -- I'll take the time to write out a list of all my issues with this book this weekend.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

talitha

Cultivate Honduras
Nov 5, 2004
Tegucigalpa, Honduras
Visit site
✟22,601.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Loved the Shack. Read it a few months ago and soooo much revelation jumped off the page at me. I plan to re-read it at some point with a pad and pen in hand...... The first time it was like three sittings (could have been one if I had nothing else to do!), very fast..... Is it perfect? No. Does it have some doctrinal issues. Perhaps. But it is one man's view of God during his process of getting to know Him; that is what I see. There were a few times that the story was boggled down with something that was clearly some strong personal opinons of the author's, and that bothered me - I think I remember some disparaging comments about the church..... but overall I enjoyed it, and there were moments of real spiritual clarity IMHO.

Upvote 0
B

brebre

I just recently read a book entitled "The Shack". This book has gone beyond the norm as far as book writing goes. As Christians most if not all of us have these questions that just don't quite make much sense. About God, and about Life! Like, why does bad stuff happen to good people?

Going through Mack's experiences, and coming face to face with his torment, we can all learn what it truly means to love unconditionally. This book has the making on changing the world, one heart at a time. I promise that after you have read it, you will buy a few more copies, and pass them out to your friends, as it is THAT good.
"The Shack" was by far one of the best Christian books I have read in a Lonnnng time. :)

I also recomend it to anyone who isn't afraid to cry their eyes out and see God in a new light. :)

Upvote 0