A book that can change,,EVERYTHING "The Shack"

Tkjjc

Jul 10, 2007
✟8,753.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I just recently read a book entitled "The Shack". This book has gone beyond the norm as far as book writing goes. As Christians most if not all of us have these questions that just don't quite make much sense. About God, and about Life! Like, why does bad stuff happen to good people?

Going through Mack's experiences, and coming face to face with his torment, we can all learn what it truly means to love unconditionally. This book has the making on changing the world, one heart at a time. I promise that after you have read it, you will buy a few more copies, and pass them out to your friends, as it is THAT good.

Glenda

More, Lord.. More of You..
Sep 22, 2005
United States
Visit site
✟76,316.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm reading "The Shack" right now.. my hubby just finished it..

I am having a hard time putting it down.. *s*

It really is very good.. I'm in chapter 6..

It has been a long time since I was compelled to read a book so quickly.. It is a page turner for me.. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

soblessed53

Sep 4, 2005
North Central,OH.U.S.A.
✟19,666.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I planned on reading this UNTIL I read the 1-star reviews at Amazon.

I will not read nor encourage anyone else to read such an unchristian/unscriptural book,that is presented as 'Christian' fiction! It would be better if books that give such a 'warped' view of God,and the Christian walk,were never written,and when they are supposed to be Christian reading material,all I can say is BEWARE!

Christians,Please at least read why the 1-star reviewers at Amazon gave it that rating,they have excellent 'Christian-based' objections to it.

This book should be called "Making Christianity The Way You want It"!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jun 29, 2007
Maryland
✟7,716.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Wow! I had to read this book for work (I work at a Christian bookstore) and I thought that it was one of the best books that I have ever read. It was truely that amazing. I know that there are some people who find it "offensive" or whatever but I found that it clarified a lot of things for me. And I did but a few more copies to give to my friends.

William P. Young's concept and execution of the story was something that I have never read before and I definitely recommend "The Shack." Whether or not you enjoy it and get something out of it depends on your openness to the perception of God.

Upvote 0

ElizK

Aug 12, 2008
✟7,627.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm brand new to this forum, and excited to have found this site generally, and this thread specifically.

I finished The Shack yesterday. Wow. I must say that I have never read anything (and I read a LOT) that has caused me to THINK and rethink my views and biases. I am most likely going to turn right around and read it again. The part in the middle about judging really got me. I cried quite a bit, partly because of what the character went through, and partly out of conviction.

Please, if you've not read the book, read it for yourself. Truly, I am a changed-for-the-better person for having read it.

Reactions: jayh
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟320,844.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
and the reviews on Amazon UK are very positive. It has been compared to Pilgrims Progress.
I wish I could comment on the comparison but i have not read either book.

I scanned through the reviews on amazon here in the U.S. Answered it for me, the style is no tmy cup of tea. So I will not be reading or investigating in depth unless somethign (like a young relative reading it) makes it an issue.

But I did read several reviews. One in particular was interesting as it was a 1 star and the reviewer admitted to having difficulty deciding if it should get 1 or 5. For that reviewer the deciding factor was a new age friend he had given it to. 'The Shack' fit just fine with the new agrers views. No problem, no reason to consider Christianity.

It would seem this is very much a book of our time and it at teh least allows people to read in what they want. I doubt it will stand the test of time.

Upvote 0

eldermike

Pray
Site Supporter
Mar 24, 2002
NC
Visit site
✟20,209.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I thought the book was great, it's fun to read. It has some great lessons on love and our lack of understanding based on original sin. It goes deep into mans ability to judge, our motives and the ease at which we all lie for our good.

I thought long and hard about the reviews I read on this book.
I understand why some might have issues with it. But I also understand that many people are young in Christ or they may be trapped in works based ideas.
This book is very hard on churches and religions, it's all about relationships. I can see this viewed as a threat by some, and I understand those feelings. This book will break some bondages, that's a good thing.

I went full circle with my thoughts on it. My Theology training warning lights were going off the whole time I was reading. However, I took the reviews of others and looked closely at their objections. One example was multiple ways to God. That's not true in this book. This question was asked by Mack, and the answer is clear, it's Jesus and only Jesus. There is alot of discussion around this issue and I can see why somone might want the John 14:6 verse pasted clearly on the page, but it's a book, it's a conversation not scripture.
In every case I found the objections to be lacking.

If you look at the emergant church movement as a resting place for this book that would be wrong. The book is hard on corporate settings/groups/churches no matter what they are teachings.

Overall, I think this book has value. I am guessing that many pastors will come out against it. I hope not because the love relationship with God based on what Jesus did for us is formost important to the local church. Building strong churches out of broken relationships is impossible.

My 2 cents

Upvote 0

GritsnGrace

Legend
Sep 23, 2002
Louisiana
Visit site
✟38,028.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I recently joined Crossings Book Club. I had seen the book in the last order form, but couldn't really afford more than one book that time, so I ordered something else that I had already seen. Friday, when the mail came, I had three packages of books! (I only remember ordering one!) The shack was one of the books received, even though I don't remember ordering it. I set them down, and decided that I would return them Monday. Sunday morning in Sunday School, the teacher was talking about the D.A.R.T. class scheduled for the next day (Discuss And Read Together) I had never gone, because generally, I am working on Monday nights. When I got home, I happened across the prayer sheet I had gotten in the mail that week, and it had a reminder for the class the next day, the title of the book, and how many chapters to read. The name of the book was The Shack. I went to the stack I was planning on sending back, and there it was!!! I figured God intended for me to go! I called my teacher and asked her if I could just show up, since I wasn't already going. She said sure!!! So, I sat and read 4 chapters that night, and one more the next morning! To those who read reviews and decided not to read because some else doesn't like it, I say, read it yourself, and make your own decisions! It's an awesome book!

Upvote 0
K

kitty.lover

I am reading The Shack at the moment I haven't finished it yet but I have to say I have found it truly inspirational. I don't know about life changing but definately heart breaking, heart warming, truthful and dreamsome all at the same time. The writer has tapped beautifully into the human heart and psyche.

It's like Dickens Christmas Carol meets Footprints. Beautiful

I hope you are right and that this book will do for readers what Pay it Forward did for movie goers and change the hearts of the world one at a time.

God Bless xxx

Upvote 0
K

kitty.lover

I have just finished reading this book and the message has definately got through this cynical marble head.

I have not spoken to my brother since last christmas following a row and I have not been talking to my step daughter for months. After reading the Shack I have enjoyed a week of reconciliation with both of them and i feel fabulous.

So as i said i take it back this IS a life changing book.

Upvote 0