A bit of a problem, I've noticed that when the pressures off I'm a know-it-all...

Gottservant

God loves your words, may men love them also
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2006
✟276,687.00
Faith
Messianic
Hi there,

Look it's not necessarily a big thing. I mean I don't really radically change my behaviour all of a sudden. But I've noticed that when you are debating Evolutionists, its possible to put them on the back foot, like if you ask them to define God in terms of mutation (they can't do it). When I do put them on the back foot, the Devil immediately tempts me to be a know-it-all and I don't like it. It's almost as if I would rather Evolutionists think they're right and condemn me, so that I can take the moral high ground and just avoid them. But that's not the right solution either! It's like the whole dynamic is wrong...

...Instead of it being about principle and counter principle, its about mutilated evidence and unverified science. Like the film Alleged, where they debate Evolution as a test case to see if they can get Creationists to push off and they say "here we have evidence of Neanderthal man" and its a pig's tooth and the whole time the Evolutionists are saying "see! the evidence" and you just think "it's not even about what you can dig up from the ground, even if they found a breeding ground of humans with monkey tails, I would still say Jesus died for our sins" but then you realize that if you said this you would be jamming up a conversation that is headed for disaster, when in fact you could say something constructive?

That's the thing. When Adam was around people said "Eve's seed will bruise the serpents head", when Noah was around people said "God will create a new Earth" when the Jews were in Israel, the people said "The Messiah will come" there was always something that could be said of the people's hope and yet God now seems afar off, like we are being crucified and must go through His Abandonment, there is nothing you can say to an Evolutionist that will at least buy time except perhaps "Jesus is coming back" but even then, how do you argue that Jesus isn't just going to say "Evolutionists are confused, but you have to believe by faith" as if He wants us to work it out. I mean if I was Jesus, that's what I'd do!

I don't know, it just seems crazy. I said "hey give me back my honour" to the Evolutionists and they just said "man up! what are you made of?" Downtrodden, that's what I am, that's what we all are and there's that problem sitting there... even if I did get the upper hand, I'd be as bad as they are or worse, no wonder we burnt witches in the dark ages, we were full of ourselves and our bible bashing ways. How is Jesus' sacrifice enough to put a stop to all of this?:prayer:

Archie the Preacher

Apostle to the Intellectual Skeptics
Apr 11, 2003
Hastings, Nebraska - the Heartland!
Visit site
✟38,822.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Gottservant said:
Hi there,

...like if you ask them to define God in terms of mutation (they can't do it).
You are correct. I cannot do that. Simply because the question is meaningless and rather ignorant.

God is 'self-causing'. That is, God exists of Himself and in Himself. Your question is meaningless as there is no predecessor from which God could mutate or evolve.

However, you are completely correct about 'Jesus died for our sins, and there is no way to be 'right' with God, to repent our rebellion toward Him, without accepting the Sacrifice and Lordship of Jesus'.

Gottservant said:
I said "hey give me back my honour" to the Evolutionists and they just said "man up! what are you made of?"
Okay, this part I don't understand. No one, not even one of us uppity 'evolutionists' can take your honor (or honour). Nor, more importantly, can ANYONE take God's honor.

As for being a 'know-it-all'. It happens. Confess it to God and He forgives you and enables you to get along. That works for me, anyhow.

Upvote 0

seeingeyes

Nov 29, 2011
Backwoods, Ohio
✟27,860.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi there,

Look it's not necessarily a big thing. I mean I don't really radically change my behaviour all of a sudden. But I've noticed that when you are debating Evolutionists, its possible to put them on the back foot, like if you ask them to define God in terms of mutation (they can't do it). When I do put them on the back foot, the Devil immediately tempts me to be a know-it-all and I don't like it. It's almost as if I would rather Evolutionists think they're right and condemn me, so that I can take the moral high ground and just avoid them. But that's not the right solution either! It's like the whole dynamic is wrong...

...Instead of it being about principle and counter principle, its about mutilated evidence and unverified science. Like the film Alleged, where they debate Evolution as a test case to see if they can get Creationists to push off and they say "here we have evidence of Neanderthal man" and its a pig's tooth and the whole time the Evolutionists are saying "see! the evidence" and you just think "it's not even about what you can dig up from the ground, even if they found a breeding ground of humans with monkey tails, I would still say Jesus died for our sins" but then you realize that if you said this you would be jamming up a conversation that is headed for disaster, when in fact you could say something constructive?

That's the thing. When Adam was around people said "Eve's seed will bruise the serpents head", when Noah was around people said "God will create a new Earth" when the Jews were in Israel, the people said "The Messiah will come" there was always something that could be said of the people's hope and yet God now seems afar off, like we are being crucified and must go through His Abandonment, there is nothing you can say to an Evolutionist that will at least buy time except perhaps "Jesus is coming back" but even then, how do you argue that Jesus isn't just going to say "Evolutionists are confused, but you have to believe by faith" as if He wants us to work it out. I mean if I was Jesus, that's what I'd do!

I don't know, it just seems crazy. I said "hey give me back my honour" to the Evolutionists and they just said "man up! what are you made of?" Downtrodden, that's what I am, that's what we all are and there's that problem sitting there... even if I did get the upper hand, I'd be as bad as they are or worse, no wonder we burnt witches in the dark ages, we were full of ourselves and our bible bashing ways. How is Jesus' sacrifice enough to put a stop to all of this?:prayer:
You said a mouthful there, brother. It's surprisingly tempting to want to be "persecuted". And "being right" is quite a high.

Upvote 0