USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So it is not scripture "alone" or "Sola scriptura". The first primary rule is the Spirit in faith in the new creation and to live and move and understand from the new creation. This is the rule. The scriptures are a secondary rule to this though in perfect harmony with them and the Spirit will never contradict what he has spoken in scripture through men.

"15 For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision availeth any thing, nor uncircumcision, but a new creature. 16 And as many as walk according to this rule, peace be on them, and mercy, and upon the Israel of God."(Galatians 6:15,16 KJV)
You are making too much out of nothing.

Upvote 0

LoveofTruth

Christ builds His church from within us
Jun 29, 2015
✟167,289.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You are making too much out of nothing.
I would never say the primary rule of faith and practice is nothing.

This becomes important when some disregard immediate revelation of God and His working and speaking and leading in the spirit today and all the gifts that accompany this walk in Christ and instead many are drawn to excellency of speech and wisdom of man and a more natural rule than the supernatural.

Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I would never say the primary rule of faith and practice is nothing.

This becomes important when some disregard immediate revelation of God and His working and speaking and leading in the spirit today and all the gifts that accompany this walk in Christ and instead many are drawn to excellency of speech and wisdom of man and a more natural rule than the supernatural.
You do not understand the sola scriptura position. You are attacking your own misunderstanding of it.

Upvote 0

LoveofTruth

Christ builds His church from within us
Jun 29, 2015
✟167,289.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You do not understand the sola scriptura position. You are attacking your own misunderstanding of it.
does "sola" mean "alone". If so then you do not understand what is actually being said.

many will try to escape the consequence of things said but the truth of what they say is clear in the words.

the word "ALONE" is the issue.

This is somewhat similar to faith alone as well. Some say we are saved by faith alone. But scripture says we are "saved by grace". That's another discussion.

There is also no one man pastor over a gathering in scripture or a church building, or many other things we see today in many places. But that's another discussion. And they are all important.

Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
does "sola" mean "alone". If so then you do not understand what is actually being said.

many will try to escape the consequence of things said but the truth of what they say is clear in the words.

the word "ALONE" is the issue.

This is somewhat similar to faith alone as well. Some say we are saved by faith alone. But scripture says we are "saved by grace". That's another discussion.
You are misconstruing the entire subject.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,112.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Most churches I know of do not think that God is absent from Scripture when they refer to Sola Scriptura. Scripture is never without God. It also leads a person to God.

I replied to this in more in-depth here.

Reactions: Dave L
Upvote 0

tkolter

May 8, 2018
Saint Petersburg, Florida
✟22,246.00
Country
United States
Faith
Fundament. Christ.
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
There is one implication of Sola Scriptura and one as a Fundamentalist I hold dear the end of any authority other than scripture which means no churches, no clergy, no theological school elitism we should only read and hold dear the Bible itself. We are all equal as 'clergy' and if we get together to worship we are all equal. The only authority is Scripture and it stands alone. That's refreshing and when I stand before a member of the clergy in their fancy church I can say: By what authority do you speak to me? I hold His word and am your equal.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tomm

Christian
Site Supporter
Jan 30, 2007
WS
✟278,556.00
Country
Brazil
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I hold dear the end of any authority other than scripture which means no churches, no clergy, no theological school elitism we should only read and hold dear the Bible itself. We are all equal as 'clergy' and if we get together to worship we are all equal. The only authority is Scripture and it stands alone.

We're all equal as clergy? And the Bible alone?
Very interesting ideas... but how come so many, many Bible-alone Christians had to ask their pastors on different issues???
297111_5aa6d93fe72eec2c20f0e805b94788b6.jpg

Your ideas wouldn't work in the early Church (and today). The New Testament didn't exist until the 4th century, even after the Bible canon was established, books were so expensive that very few could afford it. And very few people could read at that time.

• Agree
Reactions: gordonhooker
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,112.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
We're all equal as clergy? And the Bible alone?
Very interesting ideas... but how come so many, many Bible-alone Christians had to ask their pastors on different issues???
View attachment 247032

Your ideas wouldn't work in the early Church (and today). The New Testament didn't exist until the 4th century, even after the Bible canon was established, books were so expensive that very few could afford it. And very few people could read at that time.

Christians should be aware of 1 John 2:27 through studying His Word. So seeking out Pastors for answers is not really the true way to find out truth within God's Word (Especially not from most Pastors who justify sin these days). There is also no such thing as physical church building, either. It is unscriptural. There is no mention of a paid staff on salary, etc. Then again, if you are not Sola Scriptura, this is no big deal. You can add whatever crazy spiritual traditions you want to the Bible. You can carry around sun staffs, or wear fish hats, and kiss statues. Who cares if it is in the Bible. Right? Just do your own man made tradition. But didn't Jesus have a problem with men's traditions? Jesus said beware of those who go about in long flowing robes. Jesus said call no man your father upon the Earth.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,112.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
First, John says in 1 John 2:27 that the brethren he was writing to did not have any need for any man to teach them because they had the anointing of the Holy Spirit. Jesus Himself said that the Holy Spirit would guide them into all truth. I believe people today are biblically illiterate because they do not honestly seek after the Spirit for the understanding on Scripture. They would rather be spoon fed by men and shut their brains off. This is because they prefer doctrines that cater to their pride and or their sinful way of thinking.

Second, I have actively sought after and prayed in finding those who truly are following Jesus like we read in the New Testament Scriptures, but I have not. I am talking about those who are doing exactly what we see in the Bible in regards to theology and obedience to His commands. Today, many really do not obey God. Most do not even know what His commandments even are. Today, we have groups who do their own thing outside the Bible. Many are Sola Scriptura and many are against it. Both groups are against the Bible in theology and righteous living. This makes sense because Jesus said, "...when the Son of man cometh, shall he find faith on the earth?" (Luke 18:8); And Jesus says, "But as the days of Noe were, so shall also the coming of the Son of man be." (Matthew 24:37).

So where is the church? I believe God's truly faithful ones are scattered in few numbers over the Earth.

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟961,397.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
So where is the church? I believe God's truly faithful ones are scattered in few numbers over the Earth.

Even Jesus did not know that...?

All of three accounts BTW...

Matthew 19:25-26- "When his disciples heard it, they were exceedingly amazed, saying, Who then can be saved? But Jesus beheld them, and said unto them, With men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible."

Mark 10:26-27 "And they were astonished out of measure, saying among themselves, Who then can be saved? And Jesus looking upon them saith, With men it is impossible, but not with God: for with God all things are possible."

Luke 18:26-27 "And they that heard it said, Who then can be saved? And he said, The things which are impossible with men are possible with God."

And Elijah thought it... But was wrong, cause God told him so...

Your not alone Brother... There may be more of us than you may think... Many may just not be as "outspoken" I guess, as you or I can be, or tend to be sometimes...

God Bless!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,112.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I believe in Sola Scriptura for many reasons based on Scripture. Also, no other book compares to the Bible. No other holy book has shown itself to be divine like the Bible. What other teachings compare or on the same divine level as God's Word? The short answer is.... None.

Reactions: Neogaia777
Upvote 0