United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Microsoft gives up on charging for Windows in China

Microsoft has complained for years about the billions upon billions of dollars lost to Chinese piracy and recently has enlisted US state attorneys general to block Chinese pirates, but the reality is that this same piracy made it relevant to Chinese businesses and consumers.

◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇

It's time to put China in their place and Trump seems to be the president to do it.
M-Bob

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I don’t like it. They need to send a bug out that bricks every PC in china running a bogus copy of windows.

Upvote 0

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The Trump administration and the Chinese government agreed to a temporary trade truce Saturday night, pledging to delay threatened tariffs for 90 days while they work toward a concrete trade deal. (Top Trump economic advisor Larry Kudlow told reporters Monday that the 90-day timetable will start Jan. 1, but the White House later issued a correction saying the timetable starts December 1.) Washington will push Beijing to address thorny issues such as forced technology transfers and alleged intellectual property theft — which the two sides have failed to resolve despite months of attempts.
Trump's China truce sets up a make-or-break stretch for his promise to overhaul US trade policy

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

For the non Trump believers.
Time to support our president.
M-Bob

• Informative
Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

nonaeroterraqueous

Nonexistent Member
Aug 16, 2014
✟188,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I don’t like it. They need to send a bug out that bricks every PC in china running a bogus copy of windows.

I knew I had seen something about this a while back. I finally found it again:

Is Microsoft using security patch KB 3146706 to break pirate copies of Windows 7?

It's a slow site, unfortunately, but it makes some interesting points. The writer thought that less than 10 percent of East Asian computers were using a genuine copy of Windows. I've often wondered since then what those people planned to do when Windows 10 became the only active Microsoft operating system. Netmarketshare, which follows OS trends around the net has to adjust their numbers for the Chinese market, because they can't track those web sites. They tend to massively boost the Windows 7 statistics, based on their belief that China and friends are still on the older system.

Microsoft has, in the past few years, not regarded Windows as a particularly profitable product. That's why Windows 10 is marketed under such a different business plan (Windows as a service). Under this plan, the OS is regarded as a service, which means that the user does not legally own their copy of Windows, and Microsoft reserves the right to discontinue or change this service at any time (ie. yank it from your computer entirely, upgrade it at their will, or put ads or Candy Crush on your computer). Interesting stuff, there. What they actually end up doing with it may be another matter.

Upvote 0