Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟814,858.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Amen! It really matters when we know The Word and our spirits are aligned with Him and His Spirit. I believe this is what is meant by the Scripture that states True worshipers are those who worship Him in spirit and in truth - interesting to me that "in spirit" is listed prior to "in truth" - I'm not knocking The Word either.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

andreha

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2009
Gauteng
✟130,569.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
This thread is a perfect example of why it's so important to be led by the Spirit, rather than just lead by our intellect. Not that God expects us to abandon the intellect. I find that He speaks to me as a whole person. We must look to both the prompting of the Spirit as well as to reason.

But there is a segment of Christianity which abandons the Spirit completely, and wishes to deny us the right to follow Him in the name of Biblical accuracy. Instead of a living, breathing God; He is reduced to an intellectual understanding of scripture. The Bible then becomes God, and following the leading of the Spirit is considered profane.

Personally, I hear the calling of my God to "Come ye out from among them." He is a jealous God, and will not share His glory with an idol. Not even if that idol is the Bible, and the theologians who misinterpret His Word.

:preach:

Well said, brother. :amen:

Upvote 0

probinson

Legend
Aug 16, 2005
PA
Visit site
✟139,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
This thread is a perfect example of why it's so important to be led by the Spirit, rather than just lead by our intellect. Not that God expects us to abandon the intellect. I find that He speaks to me as a whole person. We must look to both the prompting of the Spirit as well as to reason.

But there is a segment of Christianity which abandons the Spirit completely, and wishes to deny us the right to follow Him in the name of Biblical accuracy. Instead of a living, breathing God; He is reduced to an intellectual understanding of scripture. The Bible then becomes God, and following the leading of the Spirit is considered profane.

Personally, I hear the calling of my God to "Come ye out from among them." He is a jealous God, and will not share His glory with an idol. Not even if that idol is the Bible, and the theologians who misinterpret His Word.

:thumbsup:
John 5:39 (AMP)
You search and investigate and pore over the Scriptures diligently, because you suppose and trust that you have eternal life through them. And these [very Scriptures] testify about Me!
:cool:

Upvote 0

Faulty

bind on pick up
Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2005
✟64,989.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
:thumbsup:
You search and investigate and pore over the Scriptures diligently, because you suppose and trust that you have eternal life through them. And these [very Scriptures] testify about Me!

Pouring over the scriptures is not the condemnation in that passage. Put it back in context and you'll notice that Jesus is still speaking after that sentence. His condemnation comes in verses 46 and 47:

"For if you believed Moses, you would believe me; for he wrote of me. But if you do not believe his writings, how will you believe my words?""

The problem was not that they poured over the scriptures, but rather that the poured over them, but refused to believe them.

This isn't a call to not immerse one's self in the scriptures, but rather to believe them while doing so, nor is it a call to neglect them in favor of some spirit-prompting..

Upvote 0

Tobias

Relationship over Religion
Jan 8, 2004
California
✟21,764.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Private
Pouring over the scriptures is not the condemnation in that passage. Put it back in context and you'll notice that Jesus is still speaking after that sentence. His condemnation comes in verses 46 and 47:

"For if you believed Moses, you would believe me; for he wrote of me. But if you do not believe his writings, how will you believe my words?""

The problem was not that they poured over the scriptures, but rather that the poured over them, but refused to believe them.

This isn't a call to not immerse one's self in the scriptures, but rather to believe them while doing so, nor is it a call to neglect them in favor of some spirit-prompting..

Clearly, this passage is not a condemnation against those who study scripture. If it ever became the general trend in Christianity to abandon scripture in favor of Spirit led promptings, then I would side with you on this one, Faulty.

Unfortunately things are the other way around. Almost the entire bulk of the Christian world ignores the other message in this verse, and places their trust in the scriptures rather than a living God. I read this passage and see a need for balance, between listening to God and discovering things about Him through scripture.

Meanwhile, this passage stands as a condemnation to all those who do search the scriptures diligently, but miss the entire point of them which is a relationship with God through Jesus Christ.

Upvote 0

eyeofthestormministries

Eye of the Storm Ministries
Mar 30, 2011
Maryland
Visit site
✟15,290.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Very well said! :)

Upvote 0

Faulty

bind on pick up
Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2005
✟64,989.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Clearly, this passage is not a condemnation against those who study scripture. If it ever became the general trend in Christianity to abandon scripture in favor of Spirit led promptings, then I would side with you on this one, Faulty.

Unfortunately things are the other way around. Almost the entire bulk of the Christian world ignores the other message in this verse, and places their trust in the scriptures rather than a living God. I read this passage and see a need for balance, between listening to God and discovering things about Him through scripture.

Meanwhile, this passage stands as a condemnation to all those who do search the scriptures diligently, but miss the entire point of them which is a relationship with God through Jesus Christ.

Scripture gives us two groups who searched the scriptures. One is the Pharisees who serched them and did not believe them. They were not the basis of truth for them.

The other is the Bereans, who searched them and believed them, using them as the standard of truth to test the very words of the Apostle Paul.

Searching the scriptures as a standard of truth and believing them is not at odds in any way with having a relationship with God.

Reactions: Ajax 777
Upvote 0

probinson

Legend
Aug 16, 2005
PA
Visit site
✟139,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

:thumbsup: Bingo.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟248,903.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
In 2 Corinthians 12, Paul speaks of what could be described as an out of body experience: "I know a man in Christ who fourteen years ago was caught up to the third heaven. Whether it was in the body or out of the body I do not know—God knows. 3 And I know that this man—whether in the body or apart from the body I do not know, but God knows— 4 was caught up to paradise and heard inexpressible things, things that no one is permitted to tell." Paul testifies that he was caught up into the third heaven to Paradise. Twice, he made it a point that he couldn't tell if he was in his body or out of his body. This is an important point to consider.

Hello there

In that passage it says:

was caught up to paradise and heard inexpressible things, things that no one is permitted to tell.

I have often wondered why now these things are expressible, not only are people permitted to tell but they are permitted to sell..........

The number of people who have been to heaven, hell or somewhere else and now have a book for sale on it is staggering.

Plus, when these books contradict one another and seem to contradict the bible. What then?

The one example I would share was on Revelation TV presented by Yemi Balou. The vision given said that people who didnt tithe were in hell. Is this a bible doctrine?

Morris Cerullo saw backsliders in hell. The vision from hand of God ministries saw backsliders in heaven praising God. So which is it?

IMO putting credence in these myriad of visions is like buiding on sand.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟86,375.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I read this book some time ago.
I am familiar with some other near-death experience testimonies in books, but this one was written by a Christian so I was interested in what he had to say. I thought maybe he would talk about meeting Jesus or the glory of God but sadly it wasn't like that.

His experience was wonderful and brief but he was in a lot of pain afterward and seemed focusing on himself rather than giving any great testimony of healing or peace or joy.
So I'm not sure what to make of it.It could have been a vision, not the real thing. It wouldn't seem like God would take someone to heaven and then send him back to earth unedified.
I'm not even sure he was IN heaven. The bible says Jesus is there sitting on the right hand of God, there are angels there..also it says the dead are raised on the last day..where Jesus brings heaven to earth, and those who are alive are caught up to meet him..and then there is judgment.
People can have out of body experiences but it does not mean they are necessarily in the Kingdom of heaven..also I don't know how one can actually know they spent 90 minutes there..I don't remember him looking at his watch. But I think the hearing of angels singing is what a lot of people experience in near-death moments. note 'near death' not actually DEAD.

So this book was mildly interesting for that one chapter about his near-death but the rest of it was not really edifiying..I had a friend who said he had a NDE hearing angels singing etc. But he is not a christian. So maybe it was just a vision.

So I don't know. I do think there is some afterlife staging post, and then we are judged, some to heaven, some to hell. The resurrection is where our bodies are raised as well. If I were to think of this logically, then as we die our soul goes to this place, thats where we meet up with friends and family. Or it just rests peacefully, like a sleep. We spend an indefinite amount of time there. But Jesus is going to judge us on the last day and we will get our bodies back. I don't know if its we residing in this place go fetch our bodies the way the Holy Spirit raised up Jesus or some other way. What if we didn't like our bodies because of what we did on earth? would we then want to steal someone elses? Maybe it's these people who are barred and go to hell, its these people who's spirits can manifest as unhappy ghosts.

sorry i am just speculating here.

Upvote 0

Biblicist

Full Gospel believer
Mar 27, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
✟52,927.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Even though I have never told this story before and I’m not so sure that I should even now; it might be possible that I once died and was on my way to heaven when the Lord intercepted me half way and told me to go back and write a post on christianforums.com saying that no one can go to Heaven and return (that’s why I only got half way). Now I appreciate that my story might discredit the others who have said otherwise but I can assure you that my story is about as credible as theirs.
- - - - -
Is it possible to go to heaven and return once you’ve been brought back to life, who knows and really what does it matter. Considering how many conflicting stories there are out there we may as well relegate these books to the rubbish bin and we probably shouldn’t even buy them in the first place as it only seems to encourage them.

Upvote 0

Alive_Again

Resident Alien
Sep 16, 2010
✟12,991.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Is it possible to go to heaven and return once you’ve been brought back to life, who knows and really what does it matter. Considering how many conflicting stories there are out there we may as well relegate these books to the rubbish bin and we probably shouldn’t even buy them in the first place as it only seems to encourage them.

No, you mustn't agree with the enemy on this. He would like for you to dismiss them all and not receive the admonition and the blessing.

You have to go by the inward witness. Also, when you walk out any revelation you bear fruit. If it is the fruit of the Holy Spirit you are safe.

If you are not sensitive to the Holy Spirit then you can have problems and be deceived. The Holy Spirit will always lead you into all truth.
Your mission, should you accept it, is to fellowship with the Spirit of God in such a way as to know Him and receive truth, otherwise you just accept or reject any wind of doctrine.

Upvote 0

Biblicist

Full Gospel believer
Mar 27, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
✟52,927.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Alive Again,

My original comment:

Your reply:
No, you mustn't agree with the enemy on this. He would like for you to dismiss them all and not receive the admonition and the blessing...
If you are not sensitive to the Holy Spirit then you can have problems and be deceived. The Holy Spirit will always lead you into all truth.

My response:
I agree with you in that the Spirit of God will always lead us into truth and as such I have little doubt that the Holy Spirit would have me advise everyone to ignore these books when they come onto the market.

Alive Again, considering the amount of conflicting and often eccentric material found within these books you may wish to establish a council of peers who can advise those of us who "lack" discernment as to which books are “anointed” and which ones aren’t.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Alive_Again

Resident Alien
Sep 16, 2010
✟12,991.00
Faith
Word of Faith

I said: "No, you mustn't agree with the enemy on this. He would like for you to dismiss them all and not receive the admonition and the blessing..."

If these books were of God and someone dismissed them out right, would this not be a correct statement? Since we're not addressing any books in particular, but rather the idea as a whole that someone can visit or receive revelation. Yes, the thread is about Piper's book, but your statement is not. So really, for you, it is about the idea of someone going and coming back vs. Paul's statement about not being lawful. Fortunately those who keep God's secrets are free to speak about things that are not secret.

...I have little doubt that the Holy Spirit would have me advise everyone to ignore these books when they come onto the market.
Believe what you want, but here's the comparison...

Your take on that one scripture about Paul and your understanding of some revelations coexisting with scripture, (not the fruit of the Spirit) versus...

All of the fruit of the Holy Spirit I bore while reading it. Every blessing I received and my relationship with God enriched beyond what I've known. When I've shared portions of them, the anointing was very strong as though I was agreeing with the mind of Christ/prophesying. Those I shared the books with were blessed and their relationships with God were enriched. People (myself and others) are more serious about serving God and about being repentant. I'm referring to Richard Sigmund's, Mary K Baxter, Bill Weise, Kat Kerr. The fruits are there every step of the way.

If you have issues with a revelation, might it be more reasonable to discuss that rather than categorically dismissing them?

Alive Again, considering the amount of conflicting and often eccentric material found within these books...
Why don't you talk about it and we'll bring it into the light?

you may wish to establish a council of peers who can advise those of us who "lack" discernment as to which books are “anointed” and which ones aren’t.
It's about the inward witness and the fruit of the Holy Spirit.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Biblicist

Full Gospel believer
Mar 27, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
✟52,927.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Alive Again (# 116)

Your comment:
I said: "No, you mustn't agree with the enemy on this. He would like for you to dismiss them all and not receive the admonition and the blessing..."
Do I believe that someone can go to heaven and return, even though I think that it would be highly unlikely it may be possible but of course no one could ever prove it.

For someone like Paul to go to heaven I have no problem with this but when we have so many people of no real stature making so many conflicting claims about what they claimed to have seen in heaven, which often stands against my understanding of what God has told us then I am compelled to disregard most of their claims as being the rantings of those who are seeking fame and fortune – what other choice do I have?

When I read the publishers preface to Piper’s book it seemed that they were ready for a backlash on their decision to publish such a book and I could imagine the discussions that must have occurred between those on the editorial board.

If you have issues with a revelation, might it be more reasonable to discuss that rather than categorically dismissing them?
Issues with Revelation...I think not. One of the things that I enjoy discussing is with God’s continued revelation to man and particularly with those who make the unsubstantiated claim that God’s revelation ceased with the completion of the Canon. We should remind ourselves that Paul admonishes us to carefully weigh the content of every prophecy and if he cautions us to be careful in this regard shouldn’t we be applying the same diligence to the numerous books and testimonies that make such wild claims as Pipers? If someone writes a book about their supposed experiences in heaven where God told them that Jesus is to return at a certain place and a certain time, what shall we do – sell up everything we own and take a quick trip because a lot of the things in the book excited us and of course “being in print it must be true”.

I think that the likelihood of any of these claims by any so called author has about as much chance of being real as there is with “Adam growing wings and flying to the moon”; then again someone did publish this claim as well so maybe I should take it as being gospel! Pardon my disdain with this last paragraph but I hope that it helps to make my point.

Considering the amount of quackery that undoubtedly we have both seen over the years I think that it would be wise to ignore any material that makes any unsubstantiated claims about going to heaven and with what they claim to have both seen and heard. We have enough problems with errant so called ministries who try and pull the “God told me card” and with how they are supposed to have some extra “anointing” which makes them and their teachings almost untouchable.

Lets keep to the Word of God and with the testimony of the Spirit of God as he both ministers and speaks God's revelation through us; as the inward witness and the fruit of the Holy Spirit tells me that these books should simply be ignored I guess then that we are at somewhat of an impasse.

Barry

Upvote 0

Alive_Again

Resident Alien
Sep 16, 2010
✟12,991.00
Faith
Word of Faith
We should remind ourselves that Paul admonishes us to carefully weigh the content of every prophecy and if he cautions us to be careful in this regard shouldn’t we be applying the same diligence to the numerous books and testimonies...

I wholeheartedly agree with this. The "inward witness" will never disagree with scripture. It may disagree with our understanding of it. I can't count the number of times the Lord upended my theology.

but when we have so many people of no real stature making so many conflicting claims

"No real stature". An evil eye. I wish I could have put it nicer but you judge them by your own standard. If you compare against Paul, everyone is going to fall short. There are many Apostles, Prophets, Evangelists, etc. that we're not aware of. Many others we are, assuming you believe in this. Even if you don't, rest assured, their are. God chooses the servant and the job. Who are we to question their qualifications?

If you present a conflicting claim, we can examine it and consider its merits.

I think that it would be wise to ignore any material that makes any unsubstantiated claims about going to heaven and with what they claim to have both seen and heard.

How do you receive Paul's testimony? It's unsubstantiated as far as you're concerned. You receive it because it's in the Word. There are plenty of people on the Forum who have trouble with certain passages, even books of the Bible. Ultimately, you have to have the witness of the Holy Spirit that their is truth.

...the inward witness and the fruit of the Holy Spirit tells me that these books should simply be ignored I guess then that we are at somewhat of an impasse.

It is you that are at an impasse. I have blessed wonderfully and have grown in my relationship and have partaken of the anointing and have seen these books bless others mightily. It takes God to do that. I'm already convinced, and it takes the Lord to convince me. I have learned though that you have to remain teachable and not just "ignore" things by choice.

...You have already stated that you don't think they line up with scripture
...You have already stated that you don't hold the ministers in esteem

You have a predisposition to a judgment against it and now you claim the Holy Spirit told you something opposite of what many others have heard.

Why don't we examine the passages you're offended by?

Upvote 0

whatfor

Just me
Dec 15, 2006
Adelaide, Australia
✟109,917.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
I have purchased another book "Heaven is so real " by Choo Thomas.

I thought it would be interesting to read another simular book and compare them.
I have not got far into the book and I do not feel comfortable with this one.

Has anyone else read it , there are 1 million in print , ?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Biblicist

Full Gospel believer
Mar 27, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
✟52,927.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Alive Again (# 118)
"No real stature". An evil eye. I wish I could have put it nicer but you judge them by your own standard. If you compare against Paul, everyone is going to fall short. There are many Apostles, Prophets, Evangelists, etc. that we're not aware of. Many others we are, assuming you believe in this. Even if you don't, rest assured, their are. God chooses the servant and the job. Who are we to question their qualifications?
… but you judge them by your own standard.
You’ve made a fair point and I guess that I should have rephrased my statement or at least added some qualification; it would be pretty hard to measure any of us against Paul but my point was that I have never heard of Don Piper and probably much the same over the years with many of the others who have made similar claims, so when their compared to those of the academy they understandably have little if any weight and as such it is up to them to prove their credentials to us.

There have been occassions where I have heard individuals make similar claims and even though they were known to me but as I considered them to be generally flakey I simply disregarded their claims - nothing gained and certainly nothing lost!

When it comes to the many apostles, prophets and evangelists who are out there, I place the same stipulation on them, if they want to speak into my life then they will have to first prove themselves. The same goes for anyone else be they medico’s, technical specialists, accountants, “Christian” politicians or whatever, it will be up to them to prove that I should put my trust in their services and if I am not convinced with their validity then I can just as easily go somewhere else.

Who are we to question their qualifications?
I would say all of us should be especially if we are in a position of influence!

If someone comes along who places an undue amount of emphasis on any doctorate or two in Theology that they may hold in an attempt to prove their point, I will always want to know where it was obtained and if in my opinion the qualification was not worth the paper it was written on then I won’t place much weight on what they have to say – it’s up to them to prove themselves to me.

Even though I hold some men in the highest regard who are held in high (though a balanced) stature such as with Gordon Fee, who as an Exegetical Scholar probably has no contemporary equal so when he speaks I tend to listen – even when in my opinion he is wrong; when it comes to any of his positions that are based on Theology I tend not to place as much weight on what he has to say as this is not one of his strengths which he admits to himself. The same goes for other very fine men such as DA Carson and John Piper as these men have made marvellous strides in a number of Theological areas and the same goes for them, when they speak I listen; when it comes to their teachings that are in my opinion tainted by Calvinism I simply disregard these aspects. I also have the utmost respect for the person and work of Jerome Murphy-O’Connor who has undertaken a lot of detailed archaeological research into ancient Corinth, but when it comes to his Theological work on 1 Corinthians I place little if any weight on Cardinal Murphy-O’Connor’s work – and who knows, in his case it may be to my own detriment.

It is you that are at an impasse.
Well it’s not possible for one person to have an impasse when debating an issue as an impasse must be between two or more parties or maybe it could relate to an internal conflict which one cannot resolve; as we have an obvious disagreement on this issue an impasse has been reached but of course a forum such as this allows for some interesting interaction.

You have a predisposition to a judgment against it and now you claim the Holy Spirit told you something opposite of what many others have heard.
I would say more than just a predisposition.

Considering that the wealth of Christian academia (of which I am not a part) would agree with my position along with every Full Gospel church leader (except maybe for one) that I have ever related to here in Australia, I think that the onus is on these characters to prove their credentials to us and of course they cannot – and here we have what is definitely an insurmountable and unsolvable impasse. If they cannot prove their claims and they cannot, then the paper that their claims are printed on is worthless.

I would like to think that everyone who reads this topic would be applying much the same principles as the ones that I have raised in this post.

Barry

Upvote 0