Are we obligated to not only love, but "like" our neighbor?

• I don't see a distinction between the two.

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Yes. We must love and like our neighbor.

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • No. Loving and liking are different issues.

Votes: 16 84.2%

• Total voters

Emmy

Senior Veteran
Feb 15, 2004
✟50,995.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Dear thatbrian. In Matthew 22: 35-40: Jesus tells us: The first and great Commandment is: " Love God with all thy heart, with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. The second is like it: love thy neighbour as THYSELF. Treat all you know and all you meet as you would love to be treated, always kindly and with friendly words. In Matthew 7: 7-10: we are told: " Ask and you shall receive," always ask God for Love and Joy and thank God and share all love and joy with your neighbour. God wants loving sons and daughters, and love is very catching.
The Bible tells us: " Repent and be Born Again," give up all selfish desires and wants, and start loving and caring.
The Holy Spirit will help and guide us, and Jesus our Saviour will lead us all the way: JESUS IS THE WAY. We might stumble and forget at times, but then we ask God to forgive us and carry on loving and caring. God is Love, and God wants loving sons and daughters. I say this with love, brian. Greetings from Emmy, your sister in Christ. P.S. Love will gradually take over, love and joy are a Christian`s weapon.

Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Dear thatbrian. In Matthew 22: 35-40: Jesus tells us: The first and great Commandment is: " Love God with all thy heart, with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. The second is like it: love thy neighbour as THYSELF. Treat all you know and all you meet as you would love to be treated, always kindly and with friendly words. In Matthew 7: 7-10: we are told: " Ask and you shall receive," always ask God for Love and Joy and thank God and share all love and joy with your neighbour. God wants loving sons and daughters, and love is very catching.
The Bible tells us: " Repent and be Born Again," give up all selfish desires and wants, and start loving and caring.
The Holy Spirit will help and guide us, and Jesus our Saviour will lead us all the way: JESUS IS THE WAY. We might stumble and forget at times, but then we ask God to forgive us and carry on loving and caring. God is Love, and God wants loving sons and daughters. I say this with love, brian. Greetings from Emmy, your sister in Christ. P.S. Love will gradually take over, love and joy are a Christian`s weapon.

Thanks for your reply, Emmy.

I do know all of what you've written above, but you haven't answered the question I've asked.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
You dont have to like someone to love them.
Most people are very different from ourselves, when we like someone its cos maybe we like the same things and think alike. Like also maybe means agreeing with someone. Ie. Liking a post on here.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,020.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
They can be used interchangeably in English, though they can have different connotations. Like usually means affection for something that is pleasing, whereas love doesn't necessarily have that connotations. But sometimes we say we love something because it is pleasing to us, so I'd say there's no clear distinction.

In other languages the word love can be used to express fondness for something, but actually saying something pleases you is usually handled by some other expression.

Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
I believe I would consider "Liking" to be a noun, and Loving to be a verb.........Does that work????

Thanks. But, I'm not asking what "like" is, but if we have the same obligation to like or neighbor as we do to love him.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Shempster

ImJustMe
Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2014
✟258,881.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Loving others does not mean we have to go and hug them and act all goofy with them. All you have to do is respect them and avoid any gossip or evil talk about them. You do not have to make yourself spend time with them.
Some people just rub others the wrong way. That is the way it is and it tests your true character when you are around them.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SnowyMacie

Apr 12, 2011
North Texas
✟118,149.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
In Relationship
Loving a person and and liking them are two completely different things. You often really don't have much control over who you like or don't like, but you always have control over how you treat them, which is the kind of love that Jesus is talking about in scripture.

Upvote 0

Douglas Hendrickson

Site Supporter
Sep 27, 2015
✟133,415.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Love without truth is sentimentality; it supports and affirms us but keeps us in denial about our flaws. Truth without love is harshness; it gives us information but in such a way that we cannot really hear it. - Tim Keller
Your (oft) quoted statements are a bit questionable. Seems the "love" talked about in them is one-directional - only towards us and not from us.
Whether "truth without love" is harshness depends on the particular truth. If it is that the sun is shining (or it is raining) I suspect that truth can be communicated without any love, and yet have no harshness involved. So then, in cases like that, the last statement is probably also false.

Love without truth need not be sentimentality - it may be simple deception. With love for getting one's own way, for instance.

I think the main problem with this "great statement" (to be repeated as often as possible) is that "love" without qualification is such an encompassing concept, includes so much, so that the claims about it here can often be true but perhaps just as often false.

Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Your (oft) quoted statements are a bit questionable. Seems the "love" talked about in them is one-directional - only towards us and not from us.
Whether "truth without love" is harshness depends on the particular truth. If it is that the sun is shining (or it is raining) I suspect that truth can be communicated without any love, and yet have no harshness involved. So then, in cases like that, the last statement is probably also false.

Love without truth need not be sentimentality - it may be simple deception. With love for getting one's own way, for instance.

I think the main problem with this "great statement" (to be repeated as often as possible) is that "love" without qualification is such an encompassing concept, includes so much, so that the claims about it here can often be true but perhaps just as often false.

My signature quote is not part of the discussion, and you've gotten a few things backward; however, it's not open for discussion or debate.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Emmy

Senior Veteran
Feb 15, 2004
✟50,995.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Dear thatbrian.You ask: must we like our neighbour? To love and to like are not quite the same. Jesus reminded us to Love God with all our hearts, all our souls and all our minds. God made us in His image, and we are truly grateful.
To love and treat our neighbour as we would love to be treated ourselves, is also straightforward, and we need not look at different meanings,
why not treat our neighbour as we would love to be treated. That is simple and straightforward. God sees our hearts, and God will know if we are sincere. I say this with love, brian. Greetings from Emmy, your sister in Christ.

Upvote 0