Jan 2, 2002
✟304,171.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I don't know the details of the documents used on CBS's "60 Minutes" segment a few days ago, as much as I know the story about the story. Whether CBS and Rather obtained valid documents or not, has dwarfed the original "60 Minutes" story. Instead of resurrecting an old hit-piece on Bush, (circa the 2000 election), and getting away with it, Rather and CBS find themselves on the hot seat, on the defensive....on something they never thought would have these consequences....ie, the public paying much more attention to the story about the story. The spot lights are facing them now.

As we all know, Dan Rather is a huge Democratic Party contributor. And there's nothing wrong with that. I'm just a little disappointed that he chose to resort to this type of story. I guess I gave him more credit than he deserved.

They rolled the dice - and the plan backfired on them. It happens. ;) :p

Doctrine1st

Official nitwit
Oct 11, 2002
Seattle
Visit site
✟12,523.00
Faith
Politics
US-Others
TheBear said:
I don't know the details of the documents used on CBS's "60 Minutes" segment a few days ago, as much as I know the story about the story. Whether CBS and Rather obtained valid documents or not, has dwarfed the original "60 Minutes" story. Instead of resurrecting an old hit-piece on Bush, (circa the 2000 election), and getting away with it, Rather and CBS find themselves on the hot seat, on the defensive....on something they never thought would have these consequences....ie, the public paying much more attention to the story about the story. The spot lights are facing them now.

As we all know, Dan Rather is a huge Democratic Party contributor. And there's nothing wrong with that. I'm just a little disappointed that he chose to resort to this type of story. I guess I gave him more credit than he deserved.

They rolled the dice - and the plan backfired on them. It happens. ;) :p
You are correct, the story of the story is the story. :(

Personally I think it isn't really going to affect CBS. Let's face when it comes to the election people are intrenched into their positons to the point where any story no matter how legit, will only be reconciled or dismissed. Those who have grief with CBS and Rather already probably had the same opinion about both prior to the story. Although they may say they're boycotting or writing them, they probably never watched them anyway.

I'm tired of seeing both sides slinging anything with or without merit to see if any of it sticks. The issues are being lost in the pig trough.

Upvote 0

Glaz

Obama '08
Jun 22, 2004
✟24,137.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
This is a shame, I always liked Dan Rather. When I was a kid my family always watched Walter Cronkite, and, ever since he retired, Dan Rather. I've always held a high opinion of 60 minutes as well, and while their regular news may suffer at ratings 60 minutes has always been a top rated and highly respected show. I hope this is just an isolated case. No way Dan Rather purposely used fake documents to make a story against the President. Then again, I believed Pete Rose when he said he didn't bet on baseball too. Say it ain't so Dan Rather.

Upvote 0

TScott

Curmudgeon
Apr 19, 2002
Arizona
Visit site
✟11,974.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Politics
US-Democrat
TheBear said:
I didn't know that. I guess I got confused when he went after Bob Kerry a few years back. He claims to be an Independent. What evidence do you have that proves otherwise?

Upvote 0

Baseballfan

Its a Great Day for baseball
Aug 27, 2004
SOCAL but from NY
✟563.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Republican
Apparently Dan rather is now asking the President to address the thrust of the story rather than focusing on the documents themselves. LOL Can any one imagine if this were a FOX news reporter doing this ???????

But heres a NEWSFLASH! Fake Documents = Fake story= nothing to respond to !!!

Does this count as a bias in the Mainstream Media?:D

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ThePhoenix

Aug 12, 2003
✟5,476.00
Faith
Christian
SoupySayles said:
This is a shame, I always liked Dan Rather. When I was a kid my family always watched Walter Cronkite, and, ever since he retired, Dan Rather. I've always held a high opinion of 60 minutes as well, and while their regular news may suffer at ratings 60 minutes has always been a top rated and highly respected show. I hope this is just an isolated case. No way Dan Rather purposely used fake documents to make a story against the President. Then again, I believed Pete Rose when he said he didn't bet on baseball too. Say it ain't so Dan Rather.
If you hold a high opinion of 60 minutes then I have to question your judgement. I mean I know the D&D story gets harped on, but really it's one of the best examples of irresponsible, sensationalist junk output by that channel, that went as far as congressional hearings (and the "facts" thrown out by 60 minutes are still being used by anti-RPG fanatics).

Upvote 0

arnegrim

...still not convinced it was the wrong one.
Jun 2, 2004
California
✟13,223.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
TScott said:
OK, do you use the same standard on the Swiftvets accusations on Kerry? Fake storys=nothing to respond to?
Well... since Kerry made it a cornerstone of his campaign... it's impossible for him to ignore it. Bush has not made his Nat. Guard service a part of his campaign.

Upvote 0

pearlz

Aug 5, 2004
✟15,915.00
Faith
Christian
Key Peninsula Redneck said:
Yes, why? What does something that I listen to have to do with something that I read?
I find it very laughable that some people will listen to a man lie everyday, and believe every word of his lies, and another man makes a mistake, if indeed that is what it was, and the man that makes the mistake gets tar and featherd, but the one that is a unstoppible lier gets a free pass.

Upvote 0

pearlz

Aug 5, 2004
✟15,915.00
Faith
Christian
arnegrim said:
Well... since Kerry made it a cornerstone of his campaign... it's impossible for him to ignore it. Bush has not made his Nat. Guard service a part of his campaign.
Kerry didnt make it a conerstone of his campaign, thats another right wing lie. He is proud of his service like he should be. Bush forgot to mention his service...wait he didnt forget, he didnt reallly serve, and even if these documents are fake, the message isnt. He didnt fufill his obligations to the TANG and thats what people are missing in the document debate. He should have been sent to Vietnam, maybe if he had been, my 1000 more Americans would be alive. Not to mention the 14,000 (aprox) innocent Iraqi people who Bush has managed to Murder in this war.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

arnegrim

...still not convinced it was the wrong one.
Jun 2, 2004
California
✟13,223.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
First... Kerry DID make it a cornerstone of his campaign... just look at his DNC speech.
Secondly... Bush has said that Kerry's service was honorable... and that Kerry put himself where Bush didn't.
Third... there is no way to determine if GWB did not fulfill his duties... I do know that GWB recieved an honorable discharge and Kerry did not.
Fourth... GWB has not murdered anyone in this war.

Upvote 0
K

Key Peninsula Redneck

pearlz said:
I find it very laughable that some people will listen to a man lie everyday, and believe every word of his lies, and another man makes a mistake, if indeed that is what it was, and the man that makes the mistake gets tar and featherd, but the one that is a unstoppible lier gets a free pass.

So what does Rush Limbaugh have to do with the story that I linked to?

Upvote 0

TheBear

NON-WOKED
Jan 2, 2002
✟304,171.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
TScott said:
I didn't know that.

Now you know! :)

I guess I got confused when he went after Bob Kerry a few years back.

Contributing to the Democratic Party does not mean Dan will always agree with every Democratic polititian on all issues. Nor does it exclude him from stories which puts a Democratic polititian in a bad light. He is in a business. Businesses exist to make money. If a news story draws many, much profit can be made from it. Money before politics. Bottom line. It's a business.

He claims to be an Independent. What evidence do you have that proves otherwise?

He could very well be registered as an Independent. I have no 'evidence' either way. Nor am I looking. I'm not even addressing that issue in this thread. :)

I hope all this helps clear up any confusion about my remarks. There is nothing you stated which I disagree with. So, there's no need for this combative posturing. ;)

Upvote 0

Doctrine1st

Official nitwit
Oct 11, 2002
Seattle
Visit site
✟12,523.00
Faith
Politics
US-Others
dittomonkey911 said:
CBS isn't the only outlet damaged by this stunt. The people are starting to see that the "mainstream" media is nothing but a propaganda center for liberal activists.
If there was any terms I would like to just place in a box to be demolished and never to be used again, it would be "mainstream" and "diss" as in not giving me my unearned respect.

Upvote 0