Sep 16, 2011
✟28,188.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Is there any reason to, in principle, oppose a 4 day work week?

People didn't always used to work 5 days a week. It used to be 6 or 7 days and perhaps 14 hours a day.

Progress has brought freedom, and why should that stop?

Why not pursue a 4 day work week?

The amount of days we work seems arbitrary.

Last edited:

Eryk

Site Supporter
Jun 29, 2005
Maryland
✟109,945.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I see no reason to oppose it. Work does not have to consume our lives, as if it's the only worthwhile activity. More time in our relationships is better for families and society, and more time in political activity is good for democracy. Capitalism is designed to use up the lives of workers in the task of making money for the owner class.

Upvote 0

MehGuy

A member of the less neotenous sex..
Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,161,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Why? Why did cutting hours work in the past, but suddenly didn't?

Just seems like the average person's income will have to suffer from that. Unless we somehow force companies to pay roughly the same wages.

As for what happened in the past I have no idea. I cannot imagine there wasn't some reduction people had to stomach. Maybe over time it balances out.

Upvote 0

Cearbhall

May 10, 2013
United States
✟122,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Legally, sorry. Perhaps with some freedom for more days too.
How would you like it to be enforced legally? By mandating benefits for 4-day workers? By increasing the minimum wage?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
As I see it the problem isn't that the work week is too long or the work unpleasant or hard. Most employees have no problem with either, but a minority always seems to have problems. I wouldn't let the tail wag the dog here.

Reactions: Phil 1:21
Upvote 0

HereIStand

Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2006
✟317,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
I'd be fine with the idea. With automation being what it is (and will become), four days a week may be too much for the amount of people in the workforce. More and more and items are being purchased online. Zombie-malls are cropping up. Added to this, driver-less trucks and cars. Amazon has a grocery store that's entirely automated; all your items are charged to your Amazon account. Maybe a minimum income is the idea, but I don't know if they'll be enough people working to cover everyone. Walmart and the government can't hire us all. :anguished:

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟436,576.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Why? Why did cutting hours work in the past, but suddenly doesn't?

I would say the main reason not to do this would be the loss of industry. Much as industries left once minimum wage, work hours, and all sorts of worker's rights were implemented by law...even more industries will leave if a 4 day week is enforced.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,147.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Is there any reason to, in principle, oppose a 4 day work week?

People didn't always used to work 5 days a week. It used to be 6 or 7 days and perhaps 14 hours a day.

Progress has brought freedom, and why should that stop?

Why not pursue a 4 day work week?

The amount of days we work seems arbitrary.

For most of the world it's simply not a possibility. It may be possible for those who are independently wealthy, have trust funds, or are supported by their parents or someone else.

But for most people if you only work 4 days a week then you'll only eat 4 days a week, so to speak. Who can afford to only work 4 days a week?

Upvote 0

Earatha

Feb 26, 2017
Oklahoma, USA
✟34,390.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Some people at my work prefer the four day work week. They work four tens. I work all five, since I prefer shorter days.

The problwm I would have with cutting work hours is the shortage of labor hours as it is in my line of work. We are looking to hire another 20 engineers. Each qualified engineer is expected to work 42-45 hours a week at least. Get me an extra 25 qualified people and cutting hours might be plausible.

Reactions: Paradoxum
Upvote 0