Jadeite

Apr 18, 2007
✟15,156.00
Faith
Pantheist
Politics
US-Libertarian
I did not care for it. Why? One word - man-kinis. You know what I'm talking about! The whole things was a gay man's fantasy.
All I could think of while watching that movie was "why don't these people wear some armor?" and "wow, I didn't know all Spartan men used Nair."
Plus there was all the ludicrous things such as people with razor arms and dudes riding rhinoceruses (rhinoceri?).
I just couldn't take it seriously at all - obviously not as a historical film, but not even as the comic book style movie that it was supposed to be.

Upvote 0

Photios

Veteran
Feb 26, 2005
Soddy-Daisy, TN
✟8,988.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
My biggest upset was where they changed things that are much cooler in the actual histories we have. For example, it's reported that Leonidas did speak with Gorgo just before leaving. She asked, "What should I do?" to which he replied, "Marry a good man. Bear good children." That, I think would have been better than what happened in the movie.

Upvote 0

loyalbabus

Sep 3, 2006
✟15,192.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
While I certainly liked the movie, I ended up worrying about the influence of eugenics on the film. For instance, the killing of newborns who were considered flawed, the hunchback's betrayal, the mutants in the Persian army, the deformed priests and the role of good breeding in determining the battle's outcome (a single weak link breaking the chain). While I am aware that those themes were likely historical, it appeared (at least to me) that those element s were being promoted rather than simply portrayed.

I did appreciate the portrayal of Xerxes as Satin however, his god complex and need to surround himself with flawed things to further empower his ego (even his harem was a set of disfigured women and men) seem to fit the bill almost perfectly. His overall manner was very satanic in general, especially his false sense of grace. Hearing him talk was like hearing the Devil quote the Bible.

If you want to appreciate all of the movies themes, I recommend viewing the mutations as the affect of sin on the body (as none of the slaves seemed to be mutated and those who had willingly accepted his authority seemed to be more deformed).

Edit: This is my first post by the way, so hello.

Upvote 0

Photios

Veteran
Feb 26, 2005
Soddy-Daisy, TN
✟8,988.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
While I certainly liked the movie, I ended up worrying about the influence of eugenics on the film. For instance, the killing of newborns who were considered flawed, the hunchback's betrayal, the mutants in the Persian army, the deformed priests and the role of good breeding in determining the battle's outcome (a single weak link breaking the chain). While I am aware that those themes were likely historical, it appeared (at least to me) that those element s were being promoted rather than simply portrayed.

I did appreciate the portrayal of Xerxes as Satin however, his god complex and need to surround himself with flawed things to further empower his ego (even his harem was a set of disfigured women and men) seem to fit the bill almost perfectly. His overall manner was very satanic in general, especially his false sense of grace. Hearing him talk was like hearing the Devil quote the Bible.

If you want to appreciate all of the movies themes, I recommend viewing the mutations as the affect of sin on the body (as none of the slaves seemed to be mutated and those who had willingly accepted his authority seemed to be more deformed).

Edit: This is my first post by the way, so hello.

Well, first off, hello.

You are right in your first paragraph that those were historical facts about Sparta and Spartans. Honestly, I don't think they could have given any persuasive picture of that life without it.

The thing with Xerxes bothered me because of who he was historically. I don't know why he had to be made out to be a god-king, when the actual man was a Zoroastrian, well known for piety. The two just don't fit together.

Things like that are why I said that it's "good as a fantasy." Really, I think that should be about the end of how to take that movie.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

loyalbabus

Sep 3, 2006
✟15,192.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Well, first off, hello.

You are right in your first paragraph that those were historical facts about Sparta and Spartans. Honestly, I don't think they could have given any persuasive picture of that life without it.

The thing with Xerxes bothered me because of who he was historically. I don't know why he had to be made out to be a god-king, when the actual man was a Zoroastrian, well known for piety. The two just don't fit together.

Things like that are why I said that it's "good as a fantasy." Really, I think that should be about the end of how to take that movie.

I just wanted to say thank you for the historical info:thumbsup: and that I only wanted to point out the supposed amount of racism because I'm usually the last person to pick up on that stuff (except for me thinking Redwall was racist anyways).

Upvote 0

Photios

Veteran
Feb 26, 2005
Soddy-Daisy, TN
✟8,988.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I just wanted to say thank you for the historical info:thumbsup: and that I only wanted to point out the supposed amount of racism because I'm usually the last person to pick up on that stuff (except for me thinking Redwall was racist anyways).

The ancient Greeks were quite racist by modern standards. Of course, it is really rather unfair to think of them by our standards.

A couple examples:

The word "barbarian" comes from an ancient way of Greeks poking fun at foreign languages, saying they all sounded like "baa, baa, baa"

I forget if it was Pericles or Solon, but one of them had the problem of their son not being allowed to be an Athenian citizen because of having a foreign mother.

FYI: there's no indication that Ephialtes was deformed, or Spartan-born. It does add to the movie's dramatic effect though, and the deformity a) explains his separation from Sparta, and b) may be a theory based on the fact that his name rougly translates to "Nightmare."

Upvote 0