Mar 9, 2005
✟86,609.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
A person who has "mostly conquered his own attraction to men" but still "struggles at times with homosexual temptation" is not ex-homosexual. They are homosexual. Sorry if you don't like that.
Then let's just agree to call them recovering homosexuals

Upvote 0
M

MrPirate

One day at a time, just like alcoholics
Alcoholics in recovery don’t lie about being anything other than alcoholics.
No substance abuse counselor or support group for alcoholics lie about alcoholism or condone those seeking treatment lying. Some Ex-gay ministries may be untruthful about “change” some are untruthful about homosexuality and some encourage, even demand, that those in “treatment” lie about changing sexual oriention.

In my opinion, Alan chambers lies when he says he is a heterosexual

And once again I will ask you to explain just why the baring of false witness by “ex-gays” such as Chambers is good.

Upvote 0
M

MrPirate

Merely by you saying so? Homosexuality is an evolutionary dead-end. You can't reverse supposed "millions of years" of evolution in a couple decades. If homosexuals can't have children and reproduce themselves without any outside means, then it's a dead-end.
And this bizarre position is supported by the fact that every homosexuasl on the planet has homosexual parents…because heterosexual parents do ant and could never produce a homosexual child…um…wait…

Nevermind.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Brennin

Wielder of the Holy Cudgel of Faith
Aug 2, 2005
California
Visit site
✟10,548.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
You mean celibate? So it's OK for people to be gay and fall in love as long as they don't touch or have sex? Or should they not fall in love in the first place? How exactly can that be avoided?

Basically you just want them to take a large chunk of what makes someone human and suppress it.

That would be my counsel as per my Christian ethos. Of course, everyone has to make his own way in this life.

Upvote 0

TinkaBella

May 17, 2007
✟8,497.00
Faith
Agnostic
Homosexuals who don't want to be gay need to ask themselves why they don't want to be gay. The most likely answer will be because of what other people have said about it. That tells us that is pressure from society and not something they naturally feel is wrong. If they decide they must change they will either: A) Fail or B) spend the rest of their lives struggling with something they didn't have a problem with in the first place. That just can't be right.

Upvote 0

SimplyMe

Senior Veteran
Jul 19, 2003
the Great Basin
✟331,682.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I for one want those who seek help for a problem to get it.

How is teaching them to lie about being homosexual "help for a problem". Again, going back to your analogy, is "help for the problem" for an alcoholic to teach them they aren't really alcoholic?

Upvote 0
T

The Bellman

Then let's just agree to call them recovering homosexuals
They're not 'recovering' from anything. They're people who have been misled by others, for various reasons.

I for one want those who seek help for a problem to get it.
We all do. The thing is, homosexuality isn't a problem; that it is is something some people maintain against all evidence.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
T

The Bellman

That would be my counsel as per my Christian ethos. Of course, everyone has to make his own way in this life.
In this thread, Brennin has stated (paraphrase) that homosexuals should, to refrain from sinning, be celibate - this is what he has agreed to above.

I actually find this a reasoned approach to the topic from someone who holds that homosexual acts are sinful. There is no condemnation of them, no waffle about how they should change - merely the belief that they should refrain from a given act, regardless of how natural that act might be for them. If all Christian opposition to homosexuality was as Brennin has stated in this thread, I would have no problem with it.

Reactions: Brennin
Upvote 0

Ohioprof

Contributor
Jun 27, 2007
✟21,433.00
Faith
Unitarian
Merely by you saying so? Homosexuality is an evolutionary dead-end. You can't reverse supposed "millions of years" of evolution in a couple decades. If homosexuals can't have children and reproduce themselves without any outside means, then it's a dead-end.
Plenty of gay people have children. And I am saying that being gay is natural for me. I can speak about myself with some authority. You cannot speak about me with any authority.

Btw, I am a parent.

Upvote 0

wblastyn

Jedi Master
Jun 5, 2002
Northern Ireland
Visit site
✟11,265.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Nevertheless, it is still an evolutionary dead-end.
Oh, here's another "expert"...

No, it is not a dead end. Individuals who cannot/do not reproduce can invest the energy, that would otherwise have been spent on raising their own children, into helping family members raise their young. Since family members share the same genes, they are actually indirectly propagating their own genes by helping a family member survive.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.