SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟563,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
We are in the process of upgrading our raised bed from 1 foot to 2 feet high. We are also raising our strawberry beds from the ground into tables. Two 3 x 8 beds should suffice. We have also purchased a 12 x 20 building to further our efforts. Our current 10 x 17 tent structure will be converted to a greenhouse. There are kits on Amazon that assist in the conversion.
We are proceeding with our project to convert our older preps (mainly rice, beans) to freeze dried. Some of our preps are 12 and older, and we fear that may be to old. The rice and beans freeze dry very well.

Reactions: bèlla
Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟563,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I saw you purchased the freeze drier. It sounds like you're chipping away at your projects. The greenhouse will be a welcome addition as will the change in the strawberry beds. You're preparing in advance and your body will thank you later.

Were the older preps in mylar bags?

~bella
Yes. Rice from 2012 and beans along the way. The oldest beans now are from 2017. We also put some dent corn into mylar starting around 2012. Barbara has been grinding this as we go and making some good cornbread. I am seeing my children (I say children, but they are all in their 40s) begin to work on preps and skills—chickens, raised beds, canned preps etc. :oldthumbsup:
Thanks for starting the thread.

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,743.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I'm taking a different approach. We're operating biblically and applying the calendar and teachings to our efforts. While I touch on my adherence to a different calendar occasionally, this is the lone instance where I may include other elements as appropriate. We endeavor to move supernaturally and attune ourselves to the cadence the Lord established. Which requires some attentiveness to moon phases, requisite prayers to dispel negative influences from the elements and applicable petitions for blessings and grace as the year unfolds.

As a result, I'm consecrating the soil, seeds and so on as unto the Lord. Much like Adam, He's given me a domain to manage and it's my desire to be an exemplary steward. But He's my provider and I involve Him in every step. Hopes, dreams and expenses are presented to Him for feedback and direction. Everything under the heavens belongs to Him. Including our space.

I'm leading with spiritual elements for several reasons. They undergird my approach and intentions. This is the linchpin to who I am and why my input may differ from others. I've invited Him into it all. As a result, He's opened avenues that didn't exist or enhanced relations for our benefit.

We endeavor to make this year better than the last and enhance our proficiency and outreach while doing so. On the practical end that includes a small garden and expanded purchases from local farmers in bulk. We've built long relationships and they've blessed us with below market rates to fill our larder.

I'm committing to heightened planning and organization by developing a preserving strategy with related recipes for ingredients and meals. Having them both in tow alleviates the question of how the food will be stored and its use thereafter.

I've decided to implement a weekly preservation practice to minimize the volume during harvest season and establish a rhythm for securing resources through various methods.

We're preparing meals and marinades in advance to complement busy periods with nutritious dishes that won't expend our energy unnecessarily. And it minimizes takeout.

Utilization is a huge factor. I want to make sure we're mindfully using our resources and avoiding waste and spoilage as much as possible. That includes dry goods.

We've integrated sourdough into our meals and maintain two starters (savory and sweet). I'd like to have a consistent baking period each week and monthly day for prepared items (cookies, pizza dough, pie crusts, etc). The goal is having a month's worth of each on hand and loaves are done each week.

I want to be more attentive to record keeping and include all sources in our projections and tracking.

I want to create a prayer template for our local farmers and the people who've blessed me at the market.

I'd like to implement a monthly project devoted to self-sufficiency (soap, candles, and so on) to enhance my routines and keep us well stocked.

On the natural front, we're switching to castile soap for our hair and delving deeper into homemade treatments to nourish the body and tresses.

I want to have a weekly appointment with the market florist just because. I love dahlia's, peonies and white lilies.

New recipes are a must. I did tikka masala, jerk sauce, zucchini kimchi, and chili garlic sauce last year. I don't always following canning standards. I'm willing to color outside the lines. Right now we're enjoying shrubs. Blueberry lavender is a favorite. It's sweetened with honey and added to sparkling water.

Greater health is the goal. I'm using durum and enjoying it alone or combined with einkorn or millet for our weekly loaf. I'd like to make tortillas and pitas. It's on the back burner but I have the ingredients and dent corn tastes good.

I want to clear the freezers before canning season begins! Some things will remain. But I'm processing as much as I can (including beans).

I'd like to try my hand at curing too. I'll start with bacon. They were out at the store and I have pork belly on hand (sliced) and I nearly cried as I contemplated a month without it. Needless to say, I'm grabbing three 2-packs next time.

We purchased 50 pounds of potatoes and ran out of one variety. I thought I'd make hash browns but I haven't. If I'd cut them beforehand and froze them I probably would. Note to self, get more eva's!

I tried my hand at the Amish Friendship starter a few months ago. I didn't make the bread but I used it for pizza. It was the best dough I've ever had. If you're interested, check out That 1870s Farmhouse. If you store it in the refrigerator you can feed it as needed. I kept both refrigerated. Used as is, it functions like sourdough discard. I add it pancakes, baked oatmeal, granola, and sweet dishes as they come to mind.

I need to make more ferments. I restarted the kombucha and I'd like to have an array of options on hand throughout the year. Which requires planning and less spontaneity at the market. If you've wanted to do the same, I recommend Poseymom on Amazon. You'll receive 2 scoby's with starter tea. I've used her twice and they work.

And I haven't gotten around to cheese. We have a raw milk provider in a nearby state that delivers on a monthly basis. I have the equipment and wine refrigerator I'm using as a cheese cave. When I finish my canning projects this month dairy will follow.

I'd like to try super yogurt. It sounds intriguing. You can learn more about it at Mary's Nest.

I'll wrap things up with a reference to textiles in order to please HIm. He wants me to resume sewing but I'm losing weight and that's tricky when you're making things that will no longer fit soon after. And there's the green effect. I'd like to switch to natural fabrics for everything. My skin will thank me. Maybe there's a compromise? Home projects and something personal for good measure. I'll figure it out.

That's all for now. :)

~bella

-​

If you have not already, add grounding to you health practice

• Friendly
Upvote 0

godisagardener

Romans 10:6-9, Ephesians 2:8-10
Jul 7, 2022
Texas
✟63,041.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
We've integrated sourdough into our meals and maintain two starters (savory and sweet). I'd like to have a consistent baking period each week and monthly day for prepared items (cookies, pizza dough, pie crusts, etc). The goal is having a month's worth of each on hand and loaves are done each week.

I tried my hand at the Amish Friendship starter a few months ago. I didn't make the bread but I used it for pizza. It was the best dough I've ever had. If you're interested, check out That 1870s Farmhouse. If you store it in the refrigerator you can feed it as needed. I kept both refrigerated. Used as is, it functions like sourdough discard. I add it pancakes, baked oatmeal, granola, and sweet dishes as they come to mind.

Are instructions those two sourdough starters ( savory and sweet) available online?

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟961,397.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
As before, you're encouraged to share your journey in preparedness and self-sufficiency. Which may include your goals, gardening plans, livestock, property updates, purchases, preservation and so on. I invite you to share your hopes and fears as applicable so others may offer prayer and encouragement on your behalf.

If you're new to self-sufficiency or limited by space or resources please chime in. There's a wealth of knowledge in the group and we're happy to share books and inexpensive practices to get you started.

Monthly updates are preferable. The lifestyle seems daunting to onlookers. Observing your practices may inspire others to begin or provide a tidbit someone requires. Charitable endeavors are welcome additions.

May the Lord bless and prosper the work of your hands. May He enrich your fields and bring plentiful rain and sun as your crops require. May the sun move in your favor and the moon enrich your soil while you rest. May your harvest be manyfold and bless your loved ones and those in need.

~bella
I would like to talk to you in private about this, but am unable to start a conversation with you, probably due to your settings probably.

So if you would like to talk to me about it, then start a conversation with me, or send me a message.

God Bless.

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟961,397.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
I'm uncertain of your circumstances and there's a wealth of knowledge in the group. You don't have to disclose anything that makes you uncomfortable. The goal of the thread is to share our goals, gains and challenges. In all likelihood someone has the answer, experience or a resource that may address your concerns. :)

~bella
Nevermind.

God Bless.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟961,397.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
@bèlla (and others here)

I thought all you more beautiful much more optimistic souls might appreciate this...

1000039078.jpg

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟563,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟563,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Anyone having trouble finding jars to purchase?
There seem to be plenty of quart jars in our area. Walmart and Piggly Wiggly, mainly. We use the larger 2-quart size for our freeze-dried food, and they can be hard to find.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums