Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
I'd like to get what I have in order and organized, perhaps with labels, recorded in notebooks when appropriate, etc. so that I always know exactly what I have and what I still need and can therefore make better plans and prioritize.

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟563,217.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
  • We really need to re-organize our prep room. Things are just kind of everywhere. Nothing is labeled as they should be. When we need something, we have to dig around behind mylar bags and in boxes.
  • We need to step up our water program. I bought a couple 50-gallon rain barrels for a catchment system; I just need to get a couple more and hook it all together with some sort of gutters. Meanwhile we are stacking bottled water.
  • Upgrade our garden watering system so I am not out there two or three times a week in the summer spraying plants. We have some drip hoses but am not happy with the way they work.
  • We want to step up our perennial garden. We have a few things: Jerusalem Artichokes, Blueberries, and Fig trees. But we are getting up there in age and are looking for ways to cut back on our day-to-day maintenance in the garden.
There is more. I just can't think of it now.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I removed the weeds from a section of a good fishing creek this summer using a homemade rake that catches and pulls the weeds from the bottom. The result was great and I caught lots of bluegills from the weed free 'hole'. I plan on creating more fishing holes next summer by killing the weeds with salt. I will broadcast softener salt 'nuggets' as far out as I can toss them. This will be much easier than pulling out the weeds, and hopefully they won't grow back.

Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟840,278.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I need to do a better job of rotating out (eating) perishable goods. It's easy to get your supply in place and then move on, but even dry foods need to be cycled out/in. I'm thinking I will create a spreadsheet with expiration dates (my own, since labels can be misleading).

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟563,217.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I don’t have a fabric stash and felt a growing sense I should start one. I saw a video today that mentioned a digital label that allows producers to track a garment’s lifespan. From consumer to resale to the landfill. That settled it.

~bella
Yeah... fabric is an oft forgotten prep. A year into it and I doubt you will be able to find any.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SavedByGrace3

Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟563,217.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Most people don’t sew and the majority who do are older. It won’t be difficult to gather. Independent sources still exist. It isn’t consolidated.

But tech is coming. I’ve seen initiatives mentioned in fashion articles and NFTs. The target date for the label (it looks like a QR code) is 2025. While you don’t carry a phone at all times you’re certainly dressed. That’s too invasive.

~bella
:sigh:

Reactions: bekkilyn
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Knowledge is power. You have time to prepare. God is good.

Especially the knowledge of how to do things with your hands, which sadly is being educated out of us. :(

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟563,217.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Especially the knowledge of how to do things with your hands, which sadly is being educated out of us. :(
Yes. Serious preppers suggest that we all learn a trade that will be useful in a post stuff hits the fan world. Skills people will need and will barter for.

Upvote 0

Anthony2019

Pax et bonum!
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2019
Staffordshire, United Kingdom
✟777,145.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
For 2022, I would like to be able to drink my tea from a pot that doesn't dribble.
Mankind has had umpteen millenia to discover that people prefer drinking tea from cups, not from their laps!

Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
Enrolled in gardening school and a master preserver class. I have an option for a local community plot. But I’d like something closer.

I’m picking out seeds and checked the price on the photo keeper. Michael’s has it on sale. I recommend purchasing for pickup. At $14.99 they’ll be gone. They’re usually $40 in the store and $60 on Amazon.

You can grab it here.

~bella

I have a couple of those photo keepers from previous sales. They are great for so many different things! I'll probably get another one or two at some future point.

Reactions: bèlla
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SavedByGrace3

Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟563,217.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
So I'd really like to get the branches on that tree (that are interfering with my chimney and interfering with my wood burning insert) trimmed down this year and I've been "prepper shopping" over the past couple of days and somehow I found out that there are chainsaws available that I might be able to safely use to do it myself! They are battery powered and can cut up to "4 and the blade retracts while it's not in use. I'd always been afraid of using chainsaws, but people in the comments talk about their chainsaw-inexperienced wives and young children using these safely. This may be a big game-changer for me!

I also finally put in an order for a kerosene heater to use during power outages and such. And bonus is that I can cook on it using my cast iron pan. It's too bad I didn't figure out I wanted it before this Sunday when the power might go out for a bit since we'll be getting some freezing rain, but it shouldn't be a days-long event and I have all sorts of things charged and gas in the car. It should get here in time for any other frozen weather events later this season.

But once everything is all set up and safety-inspected and such, I should have three sources of heat...regular electric, the wood burning insert, and the kerosene heater. I'd like to eventually do something with solar too. Been thinking of a Jackery solar generator.

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟563,217.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yeah. At the moment we have electric heat and a fireplace. We would like to add a kerosene heat source as well.
I have a 16 inch chain saw and a pole saw with a 11 inch blade. Yes, you have to be careful. Back in the 80s I had a saw jump back at me and stall. It still caught me on my finger and I still have a scar. Thank the Lord it stalled before catching my hand.
So I'd really like to get the branches on that tree (that are interfering with my chimney and interfering with my wood burning insert) trimmed down this year and I've been "prepper shopping" over the past couple of days and somehow I found out that there are chainsaws available that I might be able to safely use to do it myself! They are battery powered and can cut up to "4 and the blade retracts while it's not in use. I'd always been afraid of using chainsaws, but people in the comments talk about their chainsaw-inexperienced wives and young children using these safely. This may be a big game-changer for me!

I also finally put in an order for a kerosene heater to use during power outages and such. And bonus is that I can cook on it using my cast iron pan. It's too bad I didn't figure out I wanted it before this Sunday when the power might go out for a bit since we'll be getting some freezing rain, but it shouldn't be a days-long event and I have all sorts of things charged and gas in the car. It should get here in time for any other frozen weather events later this season.

But once everything is all set up and safety-inspected and such, I should have three sources of heat...regular electric, the wood burning insert, and the kerosene heater. I'd like to eventually do something with solar too. Been thinking of a Jackery solar generator.

• Agree
Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
Yeah. At the moment we have electric heat and a fireplace. We would like to add a kerosene heat source as well.
I have a 16 inch chain saw and a pole saw with a 11 inch blade. Yes, you have to be careful. Back in the 80s I had a saw jump back at me and stall. It still caught me on my finger and I still have a scar. Thank the Lord it stalled before catching my hand.

That's what I'd always been scared of...seemed like only a matter of time before something like that would happen.

This is the sort of thing I'm looking into:

https://www.amazon.com/WORX-WG320-PowerShare-Cordless-Auto-Tension/dp/B00CF7J4OY

Upvote 0