Western New York
✟43,598.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private

This is something on my to do list this winter.

I canned butter before and it works wonderful. There are other Youtube videos out there but this was the one that I watched. I still have jars sealed from 2016. Also if you do can butter and if any seals pop, don't throw the butter away! You can still use it as a lubricant or a fire starter.

Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
I put in another order for more cans of vegetables and baking soda and other miscellaneous things that I want to get stocked up. Eventually I'd like to learn to garden and can on my own, but it's just not going to happen this year but we can always do *something*.

Upvote 0

mama2one

Apr 8, 2018
U.S.A.
✟257,683.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
we do plant cherry & grape tomato plants every year

we forgot to get plants in 2020 with pandemic

yet God provided as that is the first and only year tomato plants just up & grew from the ground! we had as many plants come up as we usually plant

Last edited:
Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
I grew up eating soggy canned veggies

we buy frozen veggies which taste much fresher to me than canned ones...broccoli, brussels sprouts, skinny green beans

we also buy fresh veggies like romaine lettuce, carrots, cucumbers, tomatoes, corn, peppers, and lots of onions...I eat tomatoes & onions daily

Well these canned items aren't for every day, but for emergency prep. I hear you on the fresh and/or frozen stuff which I generally use as well.

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟562,839.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The little bugs in dry food are called weevils. Freezing kills the eggs. Or you can use diatomaceous earth. The latter is a popular remedy for bed bugs and ants.
We got some flour and barley in the freezer right now. We will take it out in a few days and pop it into some jars with an oxygen absorber. Keeper for decades.

Reactions: bèlla
Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟562,839.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
February was pretty productive and went by fast. Restocking is nearly complete. The dry and frozen items are done. I picked up poultry and bison at a discount and a table for the freeze dryer.

March is around the corner and that’s the last hurrah for canning before the gardening season begins. Bone broths and shelf stable items are the priority. And a sourdough starter.

Garden wise, we’re focusing on medicinal herbs. Including edible flowers for tea. Making our own blends is a growing interest.
We live in the deep south so our gardening has already started Bella. We have 6 inch tomato plants in pots. I have 50 or so potatoes that are chitting and will go in the ground this week. I have some onions coming up. The wife has planted another round of Kale in. Our asparagus is about a foot tall. I am going to try some grow bags again this year. We have not had a lot of success in the past, but try try again.

Reactions: bèlla
Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟562,839.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Did a "big shop" at ALDIs. Spent a couple hundred bucks. Lots of our regular items were out. Did get a good deal on hamburger and chicken. Stocked up on essentials. I suspect prices are going even higher in the future.
The Lord is good and His loyal love endures forever.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SavedByGrace3

Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟562,839.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
We received our grain mill today. Barb wants to pull out some stored grain and play with it.
safe_image.jpg

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟562,839.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
How did this mill work out? Which brand did you select?

Anyone have experience with a manual grain mill ? Any recommendations?
It works great. We do not use it often. I went on keto, so we do not eat much high-carb food. But we have used it to grind corn into corn flour and wheat into wheat flour a few times.
We have a standard manual grinder as well. That is work. I would suggest a more expensive hand mill because the cheap ones are very difficult to work, and you run the material through the grinder several times to get a good consistency.

• Useful
Reactions: tturt
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SavedByGrace3

Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟562,839.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics