Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Since we are already cooperating in various aspects of mission and social work to avoid duplicating services, one can hope for some sort of expanded fellowship. Reunion? Not even on the horizon at this point in time.
These things didn’t develop overnight and they won’t be solved overnight either. If everything goes swimmingly it will still take a decade or more. Probably the or ‘more’. The evidence of it having worked is mutual ordinations of priests and of bishops. Everything short of that is just preparation.

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟828,591.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
These things didn’t develop overnight and they won’t be solved overnight either. If everything goes swimmingly it will still take a decade or more. Probably the or ‘more’. The evidence of it having worked is mutual ordinations of priests and of bishops. Everything short of that is just preparation.
I still doubt that there will be reunion, but maybe a fellowship similar to eastern Orthodoxy where they are a bunch of independent Churches in full/partial fellowship with each other.

• Agree
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,237,762.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I still doubt that there will be reunion, but maybe a fellowship similar to eastern Orthodoxy where they are a bunch of independent Churches in full/partial fellowship with each other.
That's not terribly satisfactory with them all going into schism with each other. I'd hope we could all do a little better than that.

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟828,591.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
That's not terribly satisfactory with them all going into schism with each other. I'd hope we could all do a little better than that.
I would like to agree enough to be in fellowship, but without full acceptance of at least the Augsburg Confession by Rome, reunion will continue to be an impossibility. Lutherans tend towards "pragmatic".

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,237,762.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I would like to agree enough to be in fellowship, but without full acceptance of at least the Augsburg Confession by Rome, reunion will continue to be an impossibility. Lutherans tend towards "pragmatic".
Lets see where it goes. Frankly I didn't think the LCMS and the Catholics would ever get this far. Pragmatically there is no hope. With God, maybe.

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟475,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate

This is ideal in general, because its how the Early Church worked. You had five autocephalous churches in Jerusalem, Antioch, Rome, Alexandria and Cyprus, later four when Jerusalem was destroyed, and then six when St. Constantine built Constantinople, and his mother St. Helena rebuilt Jerusalem, the dawn of the Pentarchy (so called because the insular and autocephalous Archdiocese of Cyprus does not extend beyond the shores of that remarkable island).

Upvote 0