Dec 8, 2004
✟583,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I don't know of anyone who has investigated voter fraud more than Khris Kobach and how did that turn out for him as an individual and also as the head of the Trump admin.'s task force to find voter fraud.
As I recall, most or all of the Democratic Secretaries of State refused to cooperate with the survey/investigation/study, so that made it impossible.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
No one is saying that fraud shouldn't be minimized. .
Plenty of people ARE saying, though, that there is no known fraud and there is no reason to think any of it goes on. They argue, therefore, that anyone who suggests that even very modest safeguards against fraud be instituted must be aiming to impose "voter suppression."

• Winner
Reactions: Zanting
Upvote 0

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟351,419.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
As I recall, most or all of the Democratic Secretaries of State refused to cooperate with the survey/investigation/study, so that made it impossible.
Do you also recall most or all of the Republican Secretaries of State refusing to hand over the requested information, including the vice chair of the commision?

Upvote 0

RocksInMyHead

God is innocent; Noah built on a floodplain!
May 12, 2011
PA
✟327,212.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
  • Informative
Reactions: KCfromNC
Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Perhaps those who resent being told to stay home instead of adding to the problem by shopping for non-essentials, feel they are special and don't like essentially being sent to their rooms. Selfish people think rights outweigh responsibility and that new shag carpet no doubt is essential to their well being.

Selfish people think the right of others should be trashed in order to serve whatever end they wish to have served.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Do you also recall most or all of the Republican Secretaries of State refusing to hand over the requested information, including the vice chair of the commision?
No. I knew there were some, but they were definitely in the minority. The other party was very open about being outraged that any survey was being conducted at all.

This refusal might not have had as much to do with vote fraud as the fact that the study, if completed, might possibly be seen by the public as an accomplishment of the President.

• Agree
Reactions: Zanting
Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,122,663.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
No one is saying that fraud shouldn't be minimized. Unless you are saying that even 1 case of voter fraud is enough to drop a method of voting. Taken to the extreme, this would mean no voting at all since even in-person voting can have instances of fraud.

Most of the voting fraud in my state, Washington involved people suspected of voting in more than one state, which was sent over for investigation and eventual prosecution. Around 79 cases. Which amounts to 0.002 percent. One case involved someone voting on behalf of a dead person.

News Release - Office - WA Secretary of State

We have a republican Secretary of State. So yes, expanding voting to all eligible residents can be bi-partisan.
The Heritage Foundation as a running list of voter fraud in a state that goes back into the 60s in some states.
The Heritage Foundation

Upvote 0

Quartermaine

Sep 16, 2019
Alma
✟80,772.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I believe it's more like 2,000,000 and of course the signatures have to be collected within a certain time frame...and it would have to be done during the time period in which the object of the recall--the governor--has put the populace under "shelter in place," no face-to-face contact rules. In other words, almost impossible.
to recall Michigan's governor a petition woudl need to collect signatures equal to 25% of all votes cast in the last gubernatorial election or about 1,000,000 signatures and the petition is valid for circulation for 180 days.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
to recall Michigan's governor a petition woudl need to collect signatures equal to 25% of all votes cast in the last gubernatorial election or about 840,000 signatures and the petition is valid for circulation for 180 days.
Oh no. I looked it up and there were about 4,000,000 votes cast in that race. The number of valid petition signatures needed would then be about 1,000,000 as was said earlier in the thread. At that time, I wrote that I thought it was more like 2,000,000 but my memory was wrong on that point.

I think what I was remembering was the assessment made by some news service that there would need to be about 1,200,000 signatures in order to recall. I think the "2" stuck in my mind. This figure (1,200,000) makes sense because you have to have about a million VALID signatures and every petition drive organization knows that you need to have about 15-20% more signatures because so many people mess up their signatures, omit something else that's required, are not registered voters anyway, or else the circulator doesn't fill the form out correctly. So those signatures would be invalidated.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,278,637.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
That seems like a reasonable question to ask.

So how do you feel about Pelosi and George Soros pushing to have all voting be done by mail, by unknown persons, with hardly any way to know who cast the ballot, and after the recent revelations that millions of mail-in ballots have gone astray in recent elections?

We've been using absentee ballots for years. It seems odd to think it's suddenly a problem, unless there's an underlying motive to resist securing peoples ability to vote safely.

• Agree
Reactions: comana
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
We've been using absentee ballots for years. It seems odd to think it's suddenly a problem, unless there's an underlying motive to resist securing peoples ability to vote safely.
There isn't suddenly a problem. There have been problems for a long time. However, it's hard to undo a vote count because someone thinks absentee ballot signatures don't quite match or someone might have filled out a ballot for someone else. Look for instance at Green Party candidate for President, Jill Stein, who succeeded with Democratic Party funds to get a recount of the 2016 Presidential election in three states. In Michigan, it was found that 30+ registered voters cast over 300 votes in one precinct. The poll workers said they must have made a clerical error. What should be done? How could that either be proved or disproved?

In Philadelphia, a large number of precincts cast every last vote for the Democratic candidate. Okay, so those precincts are known to be Democratic strongholds. But precinct after precinct? And not a single person accidentally misreading the ballot instructions or coloring in the circle for the wrong candidate?

It might be said that that's all guesswork, yet in the 2000 presidential election in Florida, look at how the losing candidate's lawyers argued that this is exactly the reason a number of ballots cast for George Bush should be thrown out--because (allegedly) the voters misread where to place their mark and accidentally voted for the wrong man.

To be sure, this is about recounts and not exactly what we've been discussing, but it illustrates the problems that have long existed in the vote counting process. Still, people imagine that everything is correct because that's the way it is supposed to be, and that's the way everybody from the election officials to the news media report it.

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟311,908.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Oh and breaking news. Michigan's governor just extended the stay at home order until May 15
As did Minnespta, New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Massachusetts and Rhode Island... the idea being sound. To open too soon would start the cycle over resulting in home isolation until July.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

trunks2k

Contributor
Jan 26, 2004
✟270,241.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
In Philadelphia, a large number of precincts cast every last vote for the Democratic candidate. Okay, so those precincts are known to be Democratic strongholds. But precinct after precinct? And not a single person accidentally misreading the ballot instructions or coloring in the circle for the wrong candidate?

Philadelphian here. Yes, that is completely believable. First of all, we don't color in circles. We've had voting machines for ages. You just press buttons. Second of all, our precincts get small. IIRC, several only have only a few dozen registered voters. Most of them only cover a few square blocks. Considering how deep, deep, deep blue huge swaths of the city are - yes, you are going to have precincts in which everyone votes for the Democrat. It's not an uncommon thing here. My precinct, for example, voted something like 80% dem in the last presidential election and we have a higher number of republicans than nearby districts.

• Agree
Reactions: RocksInMyHead
Upvote 0

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟491,856.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
What I believe about them is that they are feeding the listener a line. It's not true.
The courts disagree - https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...c1087f7583_story.html?itid=lk_inline_manual_2

In the North Carolina case, the 4th Circuit panel agreed with allegations that North Carolina’s omnibus bill selectively chose voter-ID requirements, reduced the number of early-voting days and changed registration procedures in ways meant to harm blacks, who overwhelmingly vote for the Democratic Party.

“The new provisions target African Americans with almost surgical precision” and “impose cures for problems that did not exist,” Judge Diana Gribbon Motz wrote for the panel. “Thus the asserted justifications cannot and do not conceal the State’s true motivation.”

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Philadelphian here. Yes, that is completely believable. First of all, we don't color in circles. We've had voting machines for ages. You just press buttons. Second of all, our precincts get small. IIRC, several only have only a few dozen registered voters. Most of them only cover a few square blocks. Considering how deep, deep, deep blue huge swaths of the city are - yes, you are going to have precincts in which everyone votes for the Democrat. It's not an uncommon thing here. My precinct, for example, voted something like 80% dem in the last presidential election and we have a higher number of republicans than nearby districts.
Hi. I wouldn't bat an eye at 80%, but when there is not a single vote for any candidate of any other party, and this is the case in precinct after precinct....

Upvote 0

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟491,856.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Voter fraud only happens in states with Democratic Secretaries of State? Interesting implication, wonder if there's any reason to believe it?

Upvote 0

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟491,856.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Plenty of people ARE saying, though, that there is no known fraud and there is no reason to think any of it goes on.

Do any of them post here?

They argue, therefore, that anyone who suggests that even very modest safeguards against fraud be instituted must be aiming to impose "voter suppression."
That would be weird. Given all the documented attempts by GOP lawmakers to suppress minority votes I can't understand why these hypothetical people wouldn't just talk about the real cases rather than going for hyperbole.

Upvote 0