bcbsr

Mar 17, 2003
Visit site
✟201,456.00
Faith
Christian
Positive Attitudes

1Thess 5:15-18
Make sure that nobody pays back wrong for wrong, but always try to be kind to each other and to everyone else.
Be joyful always;
pray continually;
give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.

While the world pays back evil for good, Christians should not even seek the vengeance to which they may feel entitled. "Do not take revenge, my friends, but leave room for God’s wrath, for it is written: "It is mine to avenge; I will repay," says the Lord. On the contrary: 'If your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him something to drink. In doing this, you will heap burning coals on his head.' Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good." Rom 12:21

"be joyful always" is not the same as "feel happy always". Rather "Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. Consider him who endured such opposition from sinful men, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart." Heb 12:2,3

Was Jesus jumping for joy when he endured the cross? Was he smiling and laughing when they pierce his hands and feet? Was he exuberant? It doesn't appear so from his words. For even in Gethsemane he prayed not to have to go through it. Yet there was an internal joy when he thought of the outcome. For on the cross he quoted Ps 22, which starts hopelessly with "My God, My God, why have you forsaken me", but ends with "Posterity will serve him; future generations will be told about the Lord. They will proclaim his righteousness to a people yet unborn-- for he has done it." And his last words were "it is done!" So also our joy is placed on the perspective of what we will be. You can't measure real joy simply based on outward appearance of the flesh. "Each heart knows its own bitterness, and no one else can share its joy." Pr 14:10

As for "pray continually", Paul gave examples of this in his own prayer life in Rom 1:9, 1Th 1:3, 1Th 2:13.

"Give thanks in all circumstances" It doesn't say to give thanks for all circumstances, although it does say, "we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose." Rom 8:28 So I wouldn't rule that out despite difficulties. This is also one of the few commands that are explicitly stated as being God's will. So what is God's will for your life? To give thanks in all circumstances.

The Berean Christian Bible Study Resources