newburgh
✟115,763.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Proverbs 1:7 says, “The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge; fools despise wisdom and instruction.” Is there a Verse in the bible that says the LOVE of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge and wisdom? The Bible does not appear to rely on the love of God to motivate us to seeking knowledge as far as God goes. It calls to mind teachers in elementary school who threatened us with punishment if we didn’t learn our lessons. What if the teachers said, “If you love me, you’ll learn your lessons”? Were you as motivated? Jesus did say in John 14:15, “If you love me, you will keep my commandments,” but that’s after we’ve been told to fear the Lord in order to seek the knowledge of what He wants. Perhaps the fear element is necessary, considering we walk on Satan’s turf, and in doing so, we need a wake-up call to start our day.

What do we need knowledge for? It’s to understand what God wants from us. But it’s not as simple as that. We need an understanding of the world around us and of ourselves in order to fulfill want God wants. What does He want? It’s for us to love Him and to love each other as we would love ourselves. It’s for us to give equal weight to each other, as we would give to ourselves. It’s for us to be fruitful and multiply, that His Creation will last until the day of reckoning. Those who don’t get with the Plan will perish in the earth.

Where does this knowledge come from, that will sustain us? Psalms 19:1-2 says, “The heavens declare the glory of God, and the sky above proclaims his handiwork. Day to day pours out speech, and night to night reveals knowledge.” So, the knowledge we need to sustain us comes from above. It is the knowledge OF God and FROM God that will sustain us. And it is there for the asking. Did not Solomon ask God for knowledge and wisdom in when the was faced with leading a ‘great nation’ after King David passed away, in 1 Kings 3:7-9? And did not God give it to him in Verses 10-12?

Those that seek God for knowledge, learn that God works through those who so seek Him. Those who have knowledge will find it easier to discern those who walk in God from those who don’t. Those who seek to surround knowledge with fences, making it inaccessible to others, and succeed, end up cutting off some paths to God’s Glory out of the Heavens. To know about God is to know about everything, since God is in everything and everything that exists is because of God. For those who won’t stand for reproof, Proverbs 12:1 says “...he who hates reproof is stupid.” So much for those who brag about their college honors and degrees, yet at the end of the day have less wisdom than those who don’t have such things.

One needs to be fully cognizant of the paths they take to ensure themselves that the Light of God shines on the paths they take.

RJM 72

Sep 21, 2023
Milton
✟8,710.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi newton3005, I am sure you know already that the Hebrew word (yir-a(h) in Psa 1:7 that we translate as "fear" is also translated as "awesome" as in "causing a sense of awe". But the truth is, of the 44 instances of the word in the OT 40 of them are translated as "fear". So, there is some wriggle room to say we should be in awe of the one true God (we should), but your question deserves better than that.
The fear of God then is the appropriate response of a finite, mortal being as we approach the infinite, omnipotent creator of all things and who gives us breath and life and without whom we cannot exist. I think( IMHO) that should be a bit scary.
The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge, but not necessarily knowledge of God. The knowledge is of how to act in a world created and ruled by a God that is, by definition, beyond our understanding. (I think, from your own words, that we agree on that).
The only other thing I would add is that as much as God loves us he does not ask us to do anything. He commands us. He promises "steadfast love" (chesed) whether or not we obey, although there can certainly be consequences if we do not. (see Book of Kings 1 and 2).
I enjoyed reading your post and certainly agree with your theology -except maybe one small line line about this being Satan's turf. It is not his, it's all God's although as God told Cain (Gen 3) "sin is crouching at the door" - we must overcome it (and satan) - but we have help!. I pray daily for His spirit to give me the wisdom to know Him better and to do His will.

Upvote 0