1Corinthians 14:34

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today at 02:56 AM now_I_am_found said this in Post #1  Have we branched away from the Woman's role in the church?  This passage says that women are basically to sit there and then ask their husbands later.  Can any one explain this passage a little further?

Yes. Women are to 1) remain silent in the church when it comes to speaking before the assembly (singing is not included), 2) not to preach or to teach the church, 3) not to usurp authority in the local assembly and 4) consult their husbands regarding any matter of which they are not sure. This is not the only passage that teaches this truth (see 1 Cor. 14:35; Eph. 5:22-33; 1 Tim. 2:9-15; 5:14-15; Titus 2:3-5; 1 Pet. 3:1-7.

The explanation goes back to Adam and Eve, and accountability before God. Eve was deceived, but Adam was held accounatable for both their sins. The men in the assembly are accountable to God for doctrine and practice in the church, and women are forbidden to take the role of pastor, teacher or evangelist, elder or deacon. Again it goes back to authority or "headship" -- the "head" of the woman is the man, the Head of the man is Christ, and the "Head" of Christ is God the Father (1 Cor. 11:3).

Upvote 0
Actually, I doubt that anybody can fully explain ICor 14:34.

1. For one thing, in 1Cor.11:5, Paul writes about "every woman who prays or prophesies with her head uncovered..." While one may pray in secret, prophesying is the act of speaking God's word to the congregation". In Corinth it is clear that women were exercising their gifts in the open assembly.
2. For another, the prophecy of Joel fulfilled at Pentecost(Joel 2:28-32) teaches that there are no limitations re the gifts of the Spirit, "I will pour out My Spirit on all people. Your sons AND YOUR DAUGHTERS will prophesy...even on my servants, both men AND WOMEN , I will pour out my Spirit in those days, and they will prophesy."
3. So how to solve the APPARENT contradiction between 1Cor14:34 and the rest of that epistle and other NT passages. Perhaps Paul is speaking from a culture where women are subjected unduly and exhibiting his own cultural limitations(as he may be doing with slavery for example or even long hair for men). When God spoke thru humans he did not tear them away from their culture , but gave principles that would one day undo cultural practices that were not ideal(cf. Gal 3:28, "There is neither Jew nor Greek, slave nor free, male or female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus.")

Our churches seem just a tad hypocritical here: We have rigid views on roles of men and women in marriage and church. However, women may sing in church, even tho the lyrics may be Biblical or exhortations based on the Bible. In Sunday School, especially with the kids, they are our work-force, but think of it: we don't allow them to teach the Bible to men, but they teach it to our most impressionable people(without men standing around to correct them :) Hmmm. This hurts my head trying to figure this all out. God bless, Al

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.