Auckland
✟380,360.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Friends I am interested in why Mary the Mother of Jesus hardly gets a mention by Paul and didn't seem to have a significant role in the early church.

These are the three verses with the name Mary - some of which may be referring to others.

Acts 1:14
All these were continually devoting themselves with one mind to prayer, along with the women, and Mary the mother of Jesus, and with His brothers.

Acts 12:12
And when he realized this, he went to the house of Mary, the mother of John, who was also called Mark, where many were gathered together and were praying.

Romans 16:6
Greet Mary, who has worked hard for you.

Do we have any other credible evidence that Mary had a role in the church ?

Yeshua HaDerekh

Men dream of truth, find it then cant live with it
May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Friends I am interested in why Mary the Mother of Jesus hardly gets a mention by Paul and didn't seem to have a significant role in the early church.

These are the three verses with the name Mary - some of which may be referring to others.

All these were continually devoting themselves with one mind to prayer, along with the women, and Mary the mother of Jesus, and with His brothers.

And when he realized this, he went to the house of Mary, the mother of John, who was also called Mark, where many were gathered together and were praying.

You mean other than giving birth to Yeshua? Isn't that enough? :)

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟380,360.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't want this tread to be a debate about the status of Mary or an opportunity to attack or defend a traditional theology.

Can we just stick to the question in the OP - why does Mary get little mention in Scripture after Acts 1 ?

Did she have no significant role in the emerging Church ?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

May God be with you and bless you.
Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟607,938.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

There's very little evidence in early church writings that Mary heald a significant role in early Christianity, compared to later on.

Acts 1:14 is the only place outside of the four gospels where Mary the mother of Jesus is mentioned.

The Mary in Acts 12:2 is not Mary the mother of Jesus, but rather the mother of John as stated.

The Mary in Romans 16:6 was Mary of Rome, not Mary the mother of Jesus.

Upvote 0

benadamm

Mar 30, 2019
arizona
✟18,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Divorced
The Apostles had their hands full teaching about Jesus. Their focus was to reveal Jesus. Even so they could only hope their service would do justice to Our Lord and Savior.
Also, it was good to be silent about Mary especially since what was already revealed about her was enough to endanger her. We all know that John was the last Apostle to die and the only one not martyred. John was the perfect choice to keep Jesus' mother safe. The hand of God is obviously at work there.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟906,789.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

We do not hear much about the majority of the Apostles either. What we do know is all the writings are focused on Jesus Christ of Nazareth His Gospel and His Church. Blessings.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,368.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity

I suspect her humility came into play. She wasn’t made into a bishop or an apostle but I’m betting she was a great source for the early Church as well as a person of prayer. Not tooting her own horn.

Mary treasured many things in her heart. I suspect that John and Luke and maybe some others learned a great deal from her that made it into the writings we now call the New Testament. She was there for big chunks of the life and passion of Jesus.

Thus I think she had a background role. Probably a big background role in the writing of the Gospels.

Upvote 0

jas3

Jan 21, 2023
Southeast
✟23,523.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I suspect that a big part of why Mary isn't mentioned much in Acts and beyond is that the subjects of those books were other things: the acts of the Apostles, or pastoral epistles addressing doctrinal issues and local events, or eschatology.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I don't want this tread to be a debate about the status of Mary or an opportunity to attack or defend a traditional theology.

Can we just stick to the question in the OP - why does Mary get little mention in Scripture after Acts 1 ?

Did she have no significant role in the emerging Church ?

There are a lot of things that don't get mentioned much. That Jesus was born of a virgin is only mentioned twice in the New Testament: In the birth narratives of Matthew and Luke. We don't see any mention of St. Joseph at all after Jesus is a grown adult except for those in Nazareth saying, "Isn't this Joseph's kid?"--after that, no mention of Joseph. Most of the Twelve Apostles barely get any mention whatsoever. We know Thomas doubted the Lord's resurrection, but after that he gets no mention. Nathaniel gets mentioned once, Simon the Zealot once. None make an appearance in the Acts. Matthias, who replaced Judas Iscariot, doesn't show up again after getting a brief mention.

That doesn't mean none of them were significant in the early Church. It only means that there was no reason to mention them for the purposes of what the New Testament writers were writing. Luke had no reason to mention Thomas, or Simon the Zealot, or Matthew, or Andrew--after Paul's conversion in the Acts, it's pretty much all about Paul; almost to the point that we ought to maybe call the book "The Acts of the Apostles, but mostly just the Apostle Paul" (that's me making a joke)..

Just because the Acts doesn't record most of the Apostles doing anything, doesn't mean they weren't doing things. Likewise, that we get no direct mention of the Blessed Virgin Mary (outside of the off-the-cuff mention of "born of a woman" by Paul in Galatians) doesn't mean she wasn't involved in the goings-on of the Church. It simply means we don't know, because it wasn't written.

If I write a book detailing the life, trials, and stories about Harriet Tubman, I might mention a lot of people who were involved in the Underground Railroad. But I may not mention everyone, and some might only get a passing reference. But that shouldn't mean that they don't all have their own unique stories to tell or were less important--it's just that the focus of the writing would be on Harriet Tubman. In the same way, the New Testament writers had certain goals and purposes, and they make passing references to people, but don't go on in great detail about everyone--it's just not essential to the points they are trying to convey, or to the particular story/stories they are wanting to tell.

There were probably lots of stories about the other Apostles, either written down and lost, or remembered in the living memory of the churches; which is probably how we have surviving traditions about the Apostles at all. The same is also true of the Virgin Mary, and St. Joseph, and others.

One example: St. Thekla is remembered as one of Paul's missionary companions in a number of traditions that were remembered for centuries by churches throughout the ancient Christian world. Yet, St. Luke makes no mention of her. Was there a St. Thekla at all? Probably. It's also probable that some of the later stories about St. Thekla are embellished to some degree; but there probably was a real St. Thekla, a companion in some of Paul's journeys, and she was important enough to leave a lasting impression in Christian communities in some places, but Luke simply doesn't mention her. Paul probably had a lot of people as part of his entourage during different points of his journeys that never got mentioned, St. Luke even makes a point at several times to remind us of when Paul was mostly alone, where most of his companions had left and it was just him, or just him and one or two other people. Some could argue that Thekla isn't mentioned by Luke because she wasn't important, or maybe she didn't exist, or perhaps because Luke was a misogynist and wanted to erase her legacy: But most likely, Luke just doesn't mention her, and no conclusion beyond that can be reached. Again, same with the many Apostles, or with Mary, or <insert any other person from the New Testament here>.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟380,360.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I suspect that a big part of why Mary isn't mentioned much in Acts and beyond is that the subjects of those books were other things: the acts of the Apostles, or pastoral epistles addressing doctrinal issues and local events, or eschatology.

Yes, however it is odd that Mary gets no mention in any of the epistles, but this may have been her own choice.

Are there early mentions by the church fathers?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Now, if we are talking pure conjecture, one conjecture I've found fascinating is the possibility that the person to whom St. John writes in 2 John is the Virgin Mary. The letter is written to a woman of great importance, most likely the matron of the local church; in the earliest times of the Church, Christians often met in large homes of wealthy members of the community who transformed their estates into places of Christian gathering, and very often these estates belonged to widows or important women of some capacity. But some have indeed conjectured that the particular matron here, given the kind of language the author uses (and also due to the tradition that it was written by St. John to whom the Lord entrusted His mother) may indicate that it was the Virgin Mary. The letter is addressed to eklekte kyria the "chosen lady", even using the feminine form of kyrios ("lord") to indicate a great deal of deference. So no matter who this is, it's clear that the writer of the letter held her in a great deal of high regard and respect.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟722,349.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

The virgin Mary, by God’s grace, recognized that she needed the Savior. The Bible never says that Mary was anyone but an ordinary human whom God chose to use in an extraordinary way. Yes, Mary was a righteous woman and favored (graced) by God (Luke 1:27–28). At the same time, Mary was a sinful human being who needed Jesus Christ as her Savior, just like everyone else (Ecclesiastes 7:20; Romans 3:23; 6:23; 1 John 1:8).

Jerusalem was the first center of the Christian Church according to the Book of Acts. The apostles lived and taught there for some time after Pentecost. According to Acts, the early church was led by the Apostles, foremost among them Peter and John.

Mary of Rome was a 1st century Christian woman mentioned in Paul the Apostle's Epistle to the Romans (16:6). She is said to have treated Paul with special kindness, and to have "laboured much among" the early Christian community.

Paul knew little about Mary in Rome though he had never been there.

Logic dictates if this Mary would have been the mother of Jesus he most certainly would have known that. Also logic dictates that since the name Mary was widely used ... that the phrase Mary the mother of Jesus is used to distinguish from others with the name Mary.

Mary's in the bible ...

How many Marys are in the Bible? | GotQuestions.org

Mary's death is not recorded in the scriptures

After Jesus' death Mary (mother of Jesus) is mentioned only one more time. The book of Acts says that she joined the other disciples in an upper room for prayer on the Day of Pentecost (Acts 1.14). After that, Mary the Mother of Jesus disappears from scripture. The assumption of most biblical scholars is that she lived out her life in the company of the disciples and eventually died of old age (but this is unknown)

Upvote 0

jas3

Jan 21, 2023
Southeast
✟23,523.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Reactions: epostle
Upvote 0

Joseph G

Saved by the grace of Jesus Christ
Dec 22, 2023
Austin
✟26,913.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I suspect her humility came into play. She wasn’t made into a bishop or an apostle but I’m betting she was a great source for the early Church as well as a person of prayer. Not tooting her own horn.

Mary treasured many things in her heart. I suspect that John and Luke and maybe some others learned a great deal from her that made it into the writings we now call the New Testament. She was there for big chunks of the life and passion of Jesus.

Thus I think she had a background role. Probably a big background role in the writing of the Gospels.
Excellent supposition. Makes one wonder if the "hundreds of books that could be written" mentioned by John would include more tales from His first 30 years regaled by Mary (and His brothers and sisters). Don't we all look forward to sitting at His feet and hearing those tales one day?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

concretecamper

Member of His Church
Nov 23, 2013
PA
✟275,202.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

She was present at Pentecost, the Birth of His Church, arguably the most important event in Church History.

Upvote 0

Betho

Oct 24, 2023
Victoria, Holy Spirit
✟13,072.00
Country
Brazil
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Eve introduced Abel, who offered to God in a pleasing way. Mary introduced the firstborn of the Church to the world. Both were murdered out of envy by perverse religious people. Mary also introduced the first manifestation of the Messiah in the world by turning water into wine.

• Agree
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0