mrpiddly

May 27, 2007
✟16,409.00
Faith
Atheist
I do believe that sex ed needs to be taught,
Abstinence and what the alternatives are,
education is the answer.

What if your kid gets AIDS because they didn't know that oral sex is sex, or anyother ignorance is out there.

Just say no, doesn't work.
Kids need to get the full talk, not just the education of mechanics(how this works and what that does) but the full talk involving possible consequences for the wrong choice.

Sleeping around doesn't just cause the inconvienant and painful sores. Some STDs will be with you for ever, and some will kill you.
In this case, ignorance will kill, maim or ruin a young persons life. Make sure your beliefs of sexuality are included in sex education, but they need to be educated.
You might only have sex with one person, but you are exposed to every person that person has been exposed too(and even to those that those people have been exposed to.)

And please discuss with your Dr the HPV vaccine. I still have reluctance, due to the newness of the vaccine, but
please evaluate this for yourself. My wife is a nurse in a OB/GYN clinic, so I will let her decide for our 2 girls.

1 in 4 has STd's, but 1in 5 females will be raped. So voluntary choices are not the only thing to consider.
My school enjoys teaching the "Abstinence only" sexual education program. Overall, only having this mentality towards sexual education does very little good. No matter what teachers tell their students, someone is always going to engage in a sexual relationship so, the school should educate students on how to remain safe while doing so. (on a side note, I am pretty sure the giant pictures showing worse case STD infected areas successfully persuaded some students to remain abstinent)

Also, there is a general feeling in my school area that somehow, students at the school are above STDs and that no one in our school ever catches those diseases. While it is true the the percent of students with STDs is much lower in my school, students should be informed that anyone anywhere can be affected by STDs, both directly and indirectly.

Upvote 0

Caitlin.ann

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2006
Indiana
✟30,277.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
I guess my son is telling me the truth.
He very, very rarely dates, and when asked why, his response is always, "I want a Christian girl who hasn't slept around, and I can't find one."

That was the case in my school for the most part. Only very few girls I can think of were known virgins, but some girls who looked like "good Christian girls" on the outside had done things you'd never think they'd do.

Upvote 0

TexasSky

Senior Veteran
Mar 6, 2006
Texas
✟12,139.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Well,

My son actually said he would understand if a girl had lost her virginity to someone she thought she'd marry one day. His complaint is that most of the girls at his school have not only already had multiple sexual partners either via intercourse or oral sex, but that they brag about it like it is a good thing.

Upvote 0

Caitlin.ann

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2006
Indiana
✟30,277.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Well,

My son actually said he would understand if a girl had lost her virginity to someone she thought she'd marry one day. His complaint is that most of the girls at his school have not only already had multiple sexual partners either via intercourse or oral sex, but that they brag about it like it is a good thing.

Yep, very understandable and I remember that too. Last year, my senior year, I joined yoga club because well I like yoga and wanted to get into shape. Big mistake..I ultimately quit going because of the immaturity by the other people in there. They were pretty naughty jokes to say the least and very inappropriate.

Reactions: Avatar
Upvote 0

Robbie_James_Francis

May all beings have happiness and its causes
Apr 12, 2005
England, UK
✟20,261.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
I believe it has more to do with the hippie free love of the 60's and 70's, with parents not doing their job, raising a generation of sick men and women that in turn have given birth to a generation that has parents that aren't.

Where are all these infamous lax old hippie parents, anyway? A lot of people of our parents' generation, in my experience, are quite conservative people. Then again, maybe I have quite a wide definition of conservative as if I have kids, when they are teenagers, they will have safe access directly from me to recreational drugs, contraception and sex education. Frankly, I don't see any other option if I don't want them smoking hash laced with petrol from dangerous criminals in back alleys and getting chlamydia.

Although I do worry about people my age when we have kids. Our parents seem to have changed a lot, on the whole, since the seventies. I worry that one day I'll stop half way through some rubbish like "Do what I say, not what I do" and wonder what happened to my soul. *shudder*

Upvote 0

TexasSky

Senior Veteran
Mar 6, 2006
Texas
✟12,139.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Where are all these infamous lax old hippie parents, anyway? A lot of people of our parents' generation, in my experience, are quite conservative people. Then again, maybe I have quite a wide definition of conservative as if I have kids, when they are teenagers, they will have safe access directly from me to recreational drugs, contraception and sex education. Frankly, I don't see any other option if I don't want them smoking hash laced with petrol from dangerous criminals in back alleys and getting chlamydia.

Although I do worry about people my age when we have kids. Our parents seem to have changed a lot, on the whole, since the seventies. I worry that one day I'll stop half way through some rubbish like "Do what I say, not what I do" and wonder what happened to my soul. *shudder*
Waving my hand. *Here, here!!*

Well, I don't know about lax. . . . but compared to a lot of parents my age I am.

I also know the skeletons in the closets of a LARGE number of the local Conversvative Christian Coalition, juding from the people I know, the wilder they were as kids, the stricter they are as parents.

The funniest thing was that my ex used to talk about this really wild woman in his high school. The "first girl" to "make fun of him" for not wanting to have sex with her. Etc., I asked him her name, he told me, then said, "I think she married (name that meant little to me then.). So, one day I'm at a political meeting and a man walks in and they all tell me that he is the new state legislator, and how ultra conservative he was, anti-sex-ed, anti-homosexuality, anti-abortion, pro prayer in school, pro home schooling, pro book banning. He comes over with this woman, and as my (ex) husband turned around to greet her, she went white. I thought she was going to be sick. It was HER. So a few years down the road, I got sick of the way she was going on and on about how horrible a certain person was, and said, "Didn't you date my husband in high school?" Before she could say a word, her husband spit out, "She's changed totally since those days!" Which told me he knew about those days.

Upvote 0

Site Supporter
May 26, 2004
Cape Breton
✟740,518.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Waving my hand. *Here, here!!*

Well, I don't know about lax. . . . but compared to a lot of parents my age I am.

I also know the skeletons in the closets of a LARGE number of the local Conversvative Christian Coalition, juding from the people I know, the wilder they were as kids, the stricter they are as parents.

The funniest thing was that my ex used to talk about this really wild woman in his high school. The "first girl" to "make fun of him" for not wanting to have sex with her. Etc., I asked him her name, he told me, then said, "I think she married (name that meant little to me then.). So, one day I'm at a political meeting and a man walks in and they all tell me that he is the new state legislator, and how ultra conservative he was, anti-sex-ed, anti-homosexuality, anti-abortion, pro prayer in school, pro home schooling, pro book banning. He comes over with this woman, and as my (ex) husband turned around to greet her, she went white. I thought she was going to be sick. It was HER. So a few years down the road, I got sick of the way she was going on and on about how horrible a certain person was, and said, "Didn't you date my husband in high school?" Before she could say a word, her husband spit out, "She's changed totally since those days!" Which told me he knew about those days.
And she probably has changed. A lot of us have pasts we are deeply ashamed of. I know I do.

Upvote 0

Site Supporter
May 26, 2004
Cape Breton
✟740,518.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Yeah, still seems extremely hypocritical of her though.
yeah, that's true. I try not to stand in judgement of others. Don't always succeed though. :sigh:

Edit: In real life, I mean. Been in some pretty heated arguments here at CF. ^_^

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Caitlin.ann

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2006
Indiana
✟30,277.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Maybe this will make teenaged boys more willing to use condoms.

I know what would help...gross, disgusting and vivid images of STD infected genitalia, and the effects of STD's that can go undetected like infertility/sterility. And THEN make them spend a week taking care of young kids volunteering somewhere and tell them..this is what could happen if you don't wrap it.

Upvote 0

TexasSky

Senior Veteran
Mar 6, 2006
Texas
✟12,139.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
And she probably has changed. A lot of us have pasts we are deeply ashamed of. I know I do.

I have no problem accepting that people have pasts they are ashamed of.

I have no problem accepting that people can change for the better.

I have major issues with people pretending they never had anything to be ashamed of, and preaching intolerance to others while pretending they are as pure as the virgin Mary.

The woman in question fell into that last group.

Upvote 0

TexasSky

Senior Veteran
Mar 6, 2006
Texas
✟12,139.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
And if the condom breaks? Condoms are not a 100% guarentee against STD's. We know what is a 100% guarentee but that solution is out of vogue.
A friend of mine who is an M.D. was talking about HIV, and said, "Depending on a condom to protect you from HIV is like depending on an umbrella to keep you from crashing to earth when you jump off a building. Its better than nothing, but not much."

He went on to point out that condom failure and success rates are generally determined by the reports of men and women who report using them to protect against pregnancy, and that it is much harder to get pregnant than it is get an STD.

He said:
For a woman to get pregnant she has to have ovulated and had sex during that brief time period every month when she is fertile, and even then, many women have sex with fertile men, during fertile time periods, and do not conceive. Maybe the man was wearing his pants too tightly and his sperm weren't as lively, maybe he needed more zinc in his diet, maybe for some reason the egg didn't latch on. Whatever the reason, the fact is, pregnancy is not something that happens every time you have sex with a fertile person. ... STD's, however, don't need special temps, special times of the month, or special anything. They love to travel and they love to latch on.

Then he said something along the lines of, "So, assume that when they tell you a condom fails 10% of the time, that when it comes to protecting against an STD, you need to multiple that percentage by about 5. You just don't know it failed, because you didn't get pregnant."

Upvote 0

Site Supporter
May 26, 2004
Cape Breton
✟740,518.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I have no problem accepting that people have pasts they are ashamed of.

I have no problem accepting that people can change for the better.

I have major issues with people pretending they never had anything to be ashamed of, and preaching intolerance to others while pretending they are as pure as the virgin Mary.

The woman in question fell into that last group.
Yes, I agree.

I freely admit to my very bad past. And when I do counsel someone about the path they are on I let them know I'm talking from experience.

But you are right. This woman is talking behind other people's backs, there is not a thing good about that. She is doing nothing to help others.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

TexasSky

Senior Veteran
Mar 6, 2006
Texas
✟12,139.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
My school enjoys teaching the "Abstinence only" sexual education program. Overall, only having this mentality towards sexual education does very little good. No matter what teachers tell their students, someone is always going to engage in a sexual relationship so, the school should educate students on how to remain safe while doing so. (on a side note, I am pretty sure the giant pictures showing worse case STD infected areas successfully persuaded some students to remain abstinent)

Also, there is a general feeling in my school area that somehow, students at the school are above STDs and that no one in our school ever catches those diseases. While it is true the the percent of students with STDs is much lower in my school, students should be informed that anyone anywhere can be affected by STDs, both directly and indirectly.
Our school teaches both.
They begin with explaining why they feel abstinence is the best policy and they cite health reasons.

They end with, "but if you are not going to abstain, you need to protect yourself, and here are some ways."

Upvote 0

TexasSky

Senior Veteran
Mar 6, 2006
Texas
✟12,139.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Yes, I agree.

I freely admit to my very bad past. And when I do counsel someone about the path they are on I let them know I'm talking from experience.

But you are right. This woman is talking behind other people's backs, there is not a thing good about that. She is doing nothing to help others.
I actually have a tremendous amount of respect for people who can stand up and tell youth, "Please don't make the mistakes I made." Its the pretenders I dislike.

I also really dislike some of the "over reaction the other way," people. For example. A woman at my church announced that she had decided her daughter was not going to be permitted to date, ever. I was the girl's Sunday School teacher, and the girl came to me because she wanted to run away from home. I talked to the mother, (I didn't tell her that the daughter wanted to skip out though,) and the mother told me that the girl had understood her mother correctly. She planned on making an arranged marriage for the girl.

Now, Mom was born, bred, raised in Texas, attended a Southern Baptist Church, was a white person of American origin. So arranged marriage was a tad "abnormal." I asked her if her own marriage was arranged. She said no. I asked her if it had been happy. (She was a widow.) She said yes. I asked her why she would deny her daughter that happiness, she said that when she (the mother) was young, she was wild, and that was not going to let her daughter make the mistakes she made. I asked her what the consequences of her mistakes had been, there were none other than guilt later in life. She would talk about how her parents let her date, and it was their fault she had sinned. She would talk about how if her parents had really loved her, they would have been more strict with her when she drank. It was always someone else's failure, never her own, and she was going to be sure that her daughters were perfectly pure by homeschooling them, choosing their friends, and arranging their marriages.

I asked her where she expected to find a Christian male who would agree to an arranged marriage given she was attending Southern Baptist Churches, and she got this stunned, deer in the headlights look and burst into tears.

I don't meet people like this who were not wild as march hares in their youth.

Upvote 0