"1 in 4 teen girls has sexually transmitted disease"

mrpiddly

May 27, 2007
✟16,409.00
Faith
Atheist
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23574940/:

"CHICAGO - At least one in four teenage girls nationwide has a sexually transmitted disease, or more than 3 million teens, according to the first study of its kind in this age group.

A virus that causes cervical cancer is by far the most common sexually transmitted infection in teen girls aged 14 to 19, while the highest overall prevalence is among black girls — nearly half the blacks studied had at least one STD. That rate compared with 20 percent among both whites and Mexican-American teens, the study from the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention found.

About half of the girls acknowledged ever having sex; among them, the rate was 40 percent. While some teens define sex as only intercourse, other types of intimate behavior including oral sex can spread some infections."

Not sure how accurate the study actually was but, the statistics are still pretty bad.

Caitlin.ann

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2006
Indiana
✟30,277.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat

Not sure how accurate the study actually was but, the statistics are still pretty bad.

Oh my gosh, lol my professor showed us this today before he began the geography lecture..it was supposed to add to the last lecture he gave concerning the AIDS epidemic in Africa. Apparently six of us in my class probably have an STD. Its unfortunate but true that this has become so wide spread..and its a prime reason why there needs to be more sex education and easier access to condoms.

Upvote 0

wanderingone

I'm not lost I'm just wandering
Jul 6, 2005
New York
✟30,779.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

The study is from 03/04 and included less than 1,000 girls. There are that many girls in my local high school-

I do agree with this though:

Douglas said screening tests are underused in part because many teens don’t think they’re at risk, but also, some doctors mistakenly think, ’“Sexually transmitted diseases don’t happen to the kinds of patients I see.”’
Blythe said some doctors also are reluctant to discuss STDs with teen patients or offer screening because of confidentiality concerns, knowing parents would have to be told of the results.

I'm appalled at any doctor who won't do a test because they're afraid of the results. I'm not sure what the laws are everywhere, but in my state teenagers can get tested and treated with no notification... that doesn't make me happy as a mom, I'd rather know what meds my kid is on and make sure they are following through on treatment.. and future precautions.. but I guess the thinking is that for some kids having a parent know they were sexually active might be more dangerous than the disease :(

Upvote 0

Billnew

Legend
Apr 23, 2004
Ohio
Visit site
✟35,363.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Dr should test for any cause even if this might cause embarassment to the child and parents.
Disease treatment is utmost.

Child abuse and statutory rape could be the cause and the child would not or could not tell the Dr.

I don't believe the Dr should check for STD's in a normal
visit. But the Dr should offer the vaccine against certain types of Stds.(won't protect all, but prevents some)
Womens health needs to look into how to prevent this, and encourage education.(including what is sex and what can spread disease. and how to prevent it, including but not limited to abstenence.)

Upvote 0
S

Steezie

And who do you think gave the STD's to them?
Buuuurn :D

But to be fair, the genders are both equally at-fault for this kind of thing.

Protection is a two way street, if the guy wasn't smart enough to wear a condom, the girl should have been smart enough to make him and vice versa. If the girl wasn't smart enough to insist on a condom, the guy should have been smart enough to do it anyways. And BOTH of them should have been smart enough not to bang someone with a bug.

Remembering my high school, this sounds about right. Ironically enough it was the kids from the rich side of town that were the biggest problem.

Upvote 0

Site Supporter
May 26, 2004
Cape Breton
✟740,518.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
A virus that causes cervical cancer is by far the most common sexually transmitted infection in teen girls aged 14 to 19

That's the HPV virus. In Nova Scotia all grade 7 girls can get themselves vaccinated in school. Parents can opt their daughters out of the program, of course.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Site Supporter
May 26, 2004
Cape Breton
✟740,518.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I think it should be like the hep vaccine, required to attend public school
I agree. But some parents were raising a stink about it. You know, the 'it'll encourage them to have sex' junk. I'm sure that when some of those girls develop cervical cancer later in life they'll thank their parents for it. :sigh:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
S

Steezie

It's simple. Don't have sex. God tells us this. Those that don't want to follow God's word just have to live with the consequences. :p

Skanks. All of them. Boys and girls.
How about "have SAFE sex?"

Ive had sex with multiple partners since the age of 14. Arguably I've HAD my one night with Venus and I do not have to spend the rest of my life with Mercury

Upvote 0

Caitlin.ann

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2006
Indiana
✟30,277.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
It's simple. Don't have sex. God tells us this. Those that don't want to follow God's word just have to live with the consequences. :p

Skanks. All of them. Boys and girls

What about those born with STD's? Or who get them without having sex?

Upvote 0

wanderingone

Jul 6, 2005
New York
✟30,779.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think it should be like the hep vaccine, required to attend public school

It shouldn't be required to attend school, because it's not an airborne disease. While I think it foolish of people not to vaccinate their children I'm not a fan of requiring vaccines for diseases that are not known to be passed by casual contact (and no.. casual sex doesn't count as casual contact :| )

Upvote 0

wanderingone

Jul 6, 2005
New York
✟30,779.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Props to me for skirting the system then.

Requirements vary from state to state, and have changed over time, I seem to remember hep b for a period of time was only required in my state for kids in day care, - now hib and pcv are only required for kids in day care, chicken pox for kid born after 1998 (or a specific date in '98)

So you may not be such a rebel after all :p

Upvote 0

pgp_protector

Noted strange person
Dec 17, 2003
Earth For Now
Visit site
✟393,780.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Oh my gosh, lol my professor showed us this today before he began the geography lecture..it was supposed to add to the last lecture he gave concerning the AIDS epidemic in Africa. Apparently six of us in my class probably have an STD. Its unfortunate but true that this has become so wide spread..and its a prime reason why there needs to be more sex education and easier access to condoms.
easier access to condoms ?

how hard is it to get them nowadays ?
I thought just about every store sold them.

Upvote 0